McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

No. In that picture, the wheel nut area is not completely assembled.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

The Pj
The Pj

New rear wing

stefan_
stefan_

Korea 2013 - Thursday (03.10.2013)

via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

emmepi27
emmepi27

Something new for McLaren! Two vertical strakes like Red Bull. I call it "imbuto" in italian (funnel) :wink:

turbof1

Updates for next year. I think those strakes create vortices in an attempt to seal the diffuser that way. In its current incarnation it does look like an "imbuto", funneling in the exhaust gasses to precisely between the floor and wheel.

It seems to work in conjunction with the new airflow conditioners, cleaning up the boundary layer at the back of the sidepods and pulling the exhaust plume faster down. I am curious if they perhaps think of keeping the downsloping sidepods nex year and try feed that little gap there next the wheel with a barrier of airflow. With the beam wing gone next year and the exhaust being positioned in a very compromising way, the middle of the rear will become a bit less important. Teams will probably try to extract as much air over and around the sidepods over the diffuser and even try to energize it with all kinds of vortices to duplicate the sealing effect, so this looks like a logical move from mclaren.
#AeroFrodo

shelly
shelly

Finally another team follows redbull with the double strake.
Some months ago I thought too that the strakes crated two counterrotating vortices for the exhaust to flow between them; but after looking at more rb9 pictures I think now that the exhaust flow to the inside of the inner strake and that the double strake's purpose is to create a more complex vortex structure made up of two corotating vortices.

The shapeof the inner seems to suggest the the vortex should detach toward the inside of the car, but eye-guessing is too poor an analysis tool
twitter: @armchair_aero

gary123

I think that even the rear wing is a update for next year, but before we need to see if it works. It's a interesting solution that anyone hasn't tried before.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

emmepi27 wrote:Something new for McLaren! Two vertical strakes like Red Bull. I call it "imbuto" in italian (funnel) :wink:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVpz2ZACAAAvNrC.jpg
Do you have a version without all your scribblings over it?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Thunder

These are from AMuS

To me it looks like the Stakes are collecting the Exhaust Stream and direct it exactly where they want it.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

stefan_
stefan_

Korea 2013 - Friday (04.10.2013)

henra
henra

shelly wrote:Some months ago I thought too that the strakes crated two counterrotating vortices for the exhaust to flow between them; but after looking at more rb9 pictures I think now that the exhaust flow to the inside of the inner strake and that the double strake's purpose is to create a more complex vortex structure made up of two corotating vortices.
Difficult to say because the airflow in front of the tyre will be not very clean.
Looking at the shape of the two strakes I think they want to create (similar to RB) a big Vortex around the exhaust flow. The sense of rotation of this vortex would be opposite to the footplate vortex and above it thereby stabilising it and keeping it from being sucked into the diffuser (similar to meteorology where a neighbouring high and low pressure area will stabilise each other and link them together by counter- rotating)).
The shapeof the inner seems to suggest the the vortex should detach toward the inside of the car, but eye-guessing is too poor an analysis tool
Yep, exactly that is what I assume as well. If my assumption is correct the outer strake is just used to properly push/direct the air (displaced by the tyres) over the inner strake (which seems to have toe-in) and create local high pressure between the strakes, thereby initiating a vortex which is rotating clockwise (left side of the car) when seen from behind and counter- clockwise on the right side of the car, respectively.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Owen.C93 wrote:
emmepi27 wrote:Something new for McLaren! Two vertical strakes like Red Bull. I call it "imbuto" in italian (funnel) :wink:
Do you have a version without all your scribblings over it?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

SectorOne

The sidepods on this car look quite peculiar in certain angles. I took one myself but found one above as well.

Rather odd looking shape for a sidepod. Looks like a tumor growing outwards.
Surely that must affect CoG quite badly to have that weight so high up and so far out.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ringo

These are nozzles, they further increase exhaust speed. It also puts more of the exhaust through the gap than having it impinge the tyre.
For Sure!!

turbof1

SectorOne wrote:The sidepods on this car look quite peculiar in certain angles. I took one myself but found one above as well.

http://img4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 725481.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x6EqYdO.jpg

Rather odd looking shape for a sidepod. Looks like a tumor growing outwards.
Surely that must affect CoG quite badly to have that weight so high up and so far out.
The reasoning behind it is they want a "u-shaped" sidepod to better direct air down under. Essentially they copied this from mercedes. In almost all the cases, teams are more then willing to sacrifice CoG for aero advantages.
#AeroFrodo