Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
yace

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
[img] http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 545254.jpg
[/img]
this photo is from last season, the team lose some sponsors since this photo been taken (graham, autonomy)
ImageImageImage

atanatizante

Metalrulz wrote: ...
Since the W03 had the most highest nose last year i would guess that they would go for the step down nose. Mclaren have been running a lower nose and a lower chassis since 2010 and have a very good understanding of it whereas mercedes have been running a higher chassis from the W01 days (i am referring to the overall chassis height of the W01 and not the nose)
You mean W02 ... :)

Never mind ... since the big rules changes in 2009 I think they have plenty of data with BGP001 low nose in order to us it for W03, don`t you think?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

yace wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
[img] http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 545254.jpg
[/img]
this photo is from last season, the team lose some sponsors since this photo been taken (graham, autonomy)
I don't think they had lost the Autonomy sponsor as their logo still featured on their chairs in their pit wall

atanatizante

Ferraripilot wrote:From what I can tell with higher fuel run times, W02 is around .800-1.000 quicker than anyone else on what I believe to be similar loaded runs. I do not believe W02 in it's final 2011 revision could do this on merit so I'm guessing they indeed have a bit hiding under its skin...
Somebody told us that they already do a lap in 4 or 5 sec. quicker than what they did last year. These times are encouraging, indeed, but we don`t know how much fuel they had when the quickest times were set. Another fact is that 2012 Pirelli tyres are performance wise better in order to compensate the DF lost with EBD ban. And Michael`s statement regarding tyres reinforce that thought ...

Now let`s say in one year of development a car can gain 2-2,5s per lap in average. How much they gained with W02, knowing the final 2011 revision car was not on Brazil and in fact it was from 4-5 months earlier, when they decided to stop this car`s development?
Bearing in mind that the car was half developed it`s a nice prospect ... :)
Jesus

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

there is no way in hell the 2012 cars are 2 - 5 seconds per lap quicker this year.

not at all nope, wont happen NADA, FALSE, ERROR

just wrong!!
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

atanatizante

Robbobnob wrote:there is no way in hell the 2012 cars are 2 - 5 seconds per lap quicker this year...
I was talking about W02 car with regards of 2011 Jerez times compared to this year ones ... :wink:
Jesus

elf341
elf341

atanatizante wrote:
Robbobnob wrote:there is no way in hell the 2012 cars are 2 - 5 seconds per lap quicker this year...
I was talking about W02 car with regards of 2011 Jerez times compared to this year ones ... :wink:
MercedesAMGF1Fans quotes a similar figure: (2011) 1:22.103 vs (2012) 1:17.613.

I think it's helpful to remember that the W02 shown at Jerez last year was a semi-mule car - if I remember correctly, they had an intentionally inferior exhaust solution and only moved to their (more optimal) side-exit exhaust on the last test, which I think gained them around 1 sec a lap.

Although it did certainly seem that a feature of the early-2011 W02 was its one-lap pace was generally good - which makes the comparison less silly. So I still think it's an impressive demonstration of the development output of a top-tier F1 team over a season.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

There are many more contributing factors to that gain

A whole season of running on Pirelli rubber, learning the sweet spot for the cars setup, the cannon blown diffuser, not to mention general aero tweaks.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

bhall
bhall

scarbs wrote:I understand Mercury is banned. The interlinked suspension proposed by AdudaliaF1 based along the 1960's Austin Hydrolastic system, has been used in F1 since 2009! and is in use by over four teams currently. I have knowledge ot two teams that were workng on it in 2011.
(That nullifies everything I've said on the subject, but at least it's closure. Hopefully.)

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Robbobnob wrote:There are many more contributing factors to that gain

A whole season of running on Pirelli rubber, learning the sweet spot for the cars setup, the cannon blown diffuser, not to mention general aero tweaks.
exactly, i mean a season worth of development..

Raptor22
Raptor22

Returning to some W03 speculation.

It look afe to assume that the LoRDiSM suspension and the FSFW will be integral technologies on W03, there other technologies that I've thought of besides the U shaped rear ride pod shape.

SOme reports in German papers are suggesting the airbox is split in two and won't be above the drivers head. So I started scratching my chn around this one and I'm wondering if they are putting the engine ahead of the airbox....?

Lets consider that the current engine inlet airbox has been around since the late 1980's there could be some opportunity to gain some downfoce by thinking outside of the box in this area. Lets say the central "fin" remains but only to incorporate the roll hoop but behind that it narrows down to a thn blade running the length of the engine bay. The air box could be flattened considerably (since its just a ram inlet) and the inlets incorporated into two airfoil shaped horns either side of the blade.
Now if these horns are positioned such that the airfoil section is placed in the exhaust stream with the inlets just to the outside of that stream, would they be able to take advantage of increased inertia of the intake air via the transfer of momentum from the exhaust stream...? hmmm...
The inlet wings would also direct airflow to the rear wing in a beneficial way

Having a very narrow blade behind the driver makes for a massive airflow to the rear wing with plenty of scope to channel and shape the flow to the rear wing.

If we can have forward facing exhausts, why not a rearward mounted (but forward facing) engine inlet?

maybe too fanciful

Raptor22
Raptor22

bhallg2k wrote:
scarbs wrote:I understand Mercury is banned. The interlinked suspension proposed by AdudaliaF1 based along the 1960's Austin Hydrolastic system, has been used in F1 since 2009! and is in use by over four teams currently. I have knowledge ot two teams that were workng on it in 2011.
(That nullifies everything I've said on the subject, but at least it's closure. Hopefully.)

I didn't think mercury would be allowed but good to see that the my views on the LoRDISM (Load Re-Distribution Interlinked Suspension Mechanism) has been vindicated.

Scarbs also made mention of the platform dampers in an earlier article where he states they were in use since the late 90's already.
So there is no rational arguement to claim they are banned but lets hope that that individual visits http://www.shooooooosh.com or http://www.zipyourflytrap.co.uk.

Mercury served the purpose of describign an inertia valve but think its best to just refer to it as an inertia valve system or use my brilliantly conceived acronym, LoRDISM (Some of my best work I should add <slaps own back> :lol:

I'm keen to see what Mercedes come up with in this department

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Im kind of following Raptor, but I keep conjuring up a horrible Frankenstein car.

Can you daub a quick sketch por favor?
More could have been done.
David Purley

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

hmmm Brilliant work Raptor.. and yes LoRDISM seems powerful!

Raptor22
Raptor22

ok hos do a post an image....,scratches head.

There no upload function and cut and paste doesn't work