McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Looks like they removed a strake on the floor.
#AeroFrodo

horse

Did they run the second strake in the Korean race? Could work less well in the high speed corners round Japan, I guess.

Assuming we were looking at 2 vortex generators, perhaps they were struggling to keep the route of the outer vortex consistent? If it starts taking a trip around the outside of the wheel, then it might make the DF a bit variable?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

RicerDude

The front wing pillars are mounted further back on the front wing regulated section.

turbof1

RicerDude wrote:The front wing pillars are mounted further back on the front wing regulated section.
Good spot. If I am correct, Ferrari came up with that solution back in 2011 (and have keep using it ever since). Up until now I never got to know the benefit of it. Does somebody know?
#AeroFrodo

Holm86

turbof1 wrote:
RicerDude wrote:The front wing pillars are mounted further back on the front wing regulated section.
Good spot. If I am correct, Ferrari came up with that solution back in 2011 (and have keep using it ever since). Up until now I never got to know the benefit of it. Does somebody know?
Dont know who came up with it. But as i remeber McLaren did the same thing back when flexiwings was the hottest. Moving the pivot point further backwards made it possible to achive higher AoA when flexing.

turbof1

Holm86 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Dont know who came up with it. But as i remeber McLaren did the same thing back when flexiwings was the hottest. Moving the pivot point further backwards made it possible to achive higher AoA when flexing.
Yes, that was back in 2011 in Valencia. Charley subsequently told McLaren they couldn't use that in the following races.

Scarbs made a blog post about it during that time:
http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2011/06/28/mc ... -movement/

However, as teams didn't stop putting the pylons on the edge of the mandated middle section of the FW, there should be more benefit to it. I suspect the placement works closely with the size of the pylons, which act like turning vanes. Perhaps they first want to straighten the airflow horizontally with the mandated mainplane section, before straightening it vertically with the pylons.
#AeroFrodo

emmepi27
emmepi27

Holm86 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Corea!

PlatinumZealot

Took them a long time to mount the pillars like this.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

stefan_
stefan_

Japan 2013 - Friday (11.10.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

techF1LES

Anyone who can speak Italian? Piola points to some clever solution of rear brake ducts/brake fairing which promised great advantage in simulations and wind tunnel, but failed to deliver on track. Source.
Google can't translate this properly... wrote:Sulla carta il grande vantaggio dovrebbe essere dato dal fatto che grazie a questo tunnel si crea una depressione intorno alla ruota e, quindi, si possono realizzare delle prese dei freni minuscole, tali da non sporcare i flussi che generano il carico nel retrotreno. E' interessante anche il becco che si nota nella parte inferiore della "presa" in carbonio con il piccolo deviatore di flusso: quella è la zona nevralgica per creare la "minigonna termica" utile all'assetto Rake.

gary123

techF1LES wrote:http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... ziona_.jpg

Anyone who can speak Italian? Piola points to some clever solution of rear brake ducts/brake fairing which promised great advantage in simulations and wind tunnel, but failed to deliver on track. Source.
Google can't translate this properly... wrote:Sulla carta il grande vantaggio dovrebbe essere dato dal fatto che grazie a questo tunnel si crea una depressione intorno alla ruota e, quindi, si possono realizzare delle prese dei freni minuscole, tali da non sporcare i flussi che generano il carico nel retrotreno. E' interessante anche il becco che si nota nella parte inferiore della "presa" in carbonio con il piccolo deviatore di flusso: quella è la zona nevralgica per creare la "minigonna termica" utile all'assetto Rake.
He says that the tunnel between the brakes should create a depression around the wheel, so in this way the team can use very small brake ducts, and have more clean airflow around the floor.

The Pj
The Pj

Two different (partial) front wing.
https://twitter.com/Pjdona/status/388666827267518466

wesley123
wesley123

That is the new spec wing only Button had an example of in Korea
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

McLaren's Korea Updates Analyzed by GA

via AutoSport

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Great image of the McLaren front suspension not yet seen this year.

via OmniCorse.it