2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
darkpino
darkpino

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

With the signing of Lewis for the next 2 years I wonder where this does leave Russel? Will he be racing next to Lewis next year?

lh13
lh13

darkpino wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 19:04
With the signing of Lewis for the next 2 years I wonder where this does leave Russel? Will he be racing next to Lewis next year?
Looks very probable, and I think the timing is right, as everything resets next year so there'll be no disadvantage of going into a team and getting used to a car that the other driver is also accustomed to.

If not, for some reason, then he must start looking elsewhere. Look at Sainz, and where he ended up after leaving RedBull camp.

dans79

Marty_Y wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 16:44
so I'm not saying your wrong or anything but if it is physically possible to change the rake without totally redesigning all of the aerodynamics why didn't they do this earlier?
As I mentioned earlier it all comes down to how much additional rake they add. Also keep in mind they didn't give any significant detail about what will be changed with the upgrade package. So for example they could make minor tweaks to the tea tree area and the diffuser and no one would know for sure.
201 105 104 9 9 7

cooken
cooken

El Scorchio wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 19:00
Marty_Y wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 16:19
cooken wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 15:29
Below is a comparison between Ham and Bot. I did a moving average of lap times to smooth things out a bit, excluding in/out laps etc.

Seems like the issue came a couple of laps before the first pit stop. He was immediately slower than Bot at the start of the second stint, both on new hards. Kind of looks like they were managing something beyond lack of downforce or high deg. Possibly something else overheating (eg rear brakes).

When he overtook Lando, I heard Lando say on the radio that "his rear brakes are on fire" I don't know if he was referring to his own brakes or Lewis's?
I think he meant Hamilton's. So even though they never caught it on television as far as I know, I wonder if the heat from an alleged fire might have been enough for something to come detached or weakened? (and then fail/fall off)
He definitely was referring to Hamilton's, and no you can't see anything from either onboard (unfortunately Lando's is rear facing until well after the pass and you don't get much of a look at that area).

Question is, did the brakes overheat/ignite temporarily and damage the tin, or did something on the tin fail resulting in overheating. Either is plausible I guess but there was no mention of brake temps over the radio.

Strange to have a brake fire while at speed though? I guess we'll get some decent answers when they post the race debrief video.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

dans79 wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 19:37
Marty_Y wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 16:44
so I'm not saying your wrong or anything but if it is physically possible to change the rake without totally redesigning all of the aerodynamics why didn't they do this earlier?
and no one would know for sure.
I expect this will be the case with next years car as well, because all of the clever stuff that the teams don't want to share will be hidden underneath the car where we can't see it.

zibby43
zibby43

Austria debrief:

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

"a good update that's quite exciting" "updated bodywork".

That's what I wanted to hear, the update will definitely be ready for Silverstone, let's hope Mercedes can fight for the win!

zibby43
zibby43

Marty_Y wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 19:06
"a good update that's quite exciting" "updated bodywork".

That's what I wanted to hear, the update will definitely be ready for Silverstone, let's hope Mercedes can fight for the win!
Absolutely! It’s been a long time since Imola, which is the last time we’ve seen a new aero surface on the car.

Should be interesting to see if the sprint qualifying helps Merc, since their car always comes alive over longer stints with fuel in the car.

Phil

What about new engine? Arent they still racing the first one?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Phil wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 19:29
What about new engine? Arent they still racing the first one?
They introduced their second ICE, TC, MGU-H, MGU-K, & EX in Baku.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 0Event.pdf
201 105 104 9 9 7

atanatizante

dans79 wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 22:18

Another area I find interesting is the new intake plenum, and the issues they have had with it. I've pondered more than once that this might be somehow related to the move to 10% ethanol next year. If memory serves more ethanol means it can run higher compression ratios.
The compression ratio of a gasoline engine is limited up to 11 to avoid knocking performance and depends strongly on the hydrocarbon type which indicates the antiknock characteristic of a particular fuel. As a rule, high compression ratio engines running high ON fuels provide a higher thermal efficiency. Then a bio-fuel engine can ensure the antiknocking performance, leading to a higher compression ratio, and thus higher thermal efficiency can be obtained.

Biofuel is a mixture of mostly organic wastes, not just ethanol. And unfortunately has many disadvantages had it`s used as a fuel. To start with ICE has worse performance-wise. Then the viscosity index hence lubrication is lower than running usual fuels. Thus, means ICE must run less in anger together with some reliability concerns. Then another headache comes from the combustion chamber, block alloy&stuff and knocking. Practically means a new ICE must be designed from scratch. For this year is just 5.75% biofuel but next year must be 10% and due to cost cap policy, the best route is to develop new oils which should ensure at least 2 important properties: 1. To have a higher viscosity index to compensate for the biofuels effect; 2. To have a higher HTHS “High-Temperature High Share” parameter, just to ensure that ICE it could run longer at the highest mode in races.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

ringo

10% is not a big change. The engines may not change much in that case.
For Sure!!

NathanOlder

I'm finding I am looking at the clock almost every hour, how myuch longer do we need to wait to see these "Exciting upgrades" !!!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 11:05
I'm finding I am looking at the clock almost every hour, how myuch longer do we need to wait to see these "Exciting upgrades" !!!
I am honestly not expecting anything significant… I hope I’m wrong.

Juzh

Really curious to see whether of not mercedes can afford to run france-like rear wing in silverstone as well. This track really murders you on straights if you don't have efficient aero, kinda like Suzuka (maybe just a bit less). It'd really make them sitting ducks on any straight and possibly even unable to defend positions if necessary.