2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
atanatizante

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Nico Rosberg on Sky: "There's a 1.5s delta per lap between VER and HAM... speechless". Is he genuinely shocked or it's just the PR BS for the show?

Nonetheless, they are loosing 4.5 tenths in the low S1 (hence HAM complaining about the car is not rotating in the slow stuff), then 6.5 tenths in the high-speed S2 (which is just strange based on the Suzuka's S1 improvement) and just 4 tenths in the last sector were they loose particular with the poor traction out of the 14 turn.

I don't know how could they make the car faster and maybe altering the PU mapping in order to increase the traction ..
that would lead to higher tyre wear in the race meaning more stops in the race. It could be better to change towards this setup bearing in mind that in qualy they could switch the tyres more into their optimal window and more of that in a prospect of a cooler/wet race for tomorrow ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

KimiRai
KimiRai

Hammerfist wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 05:51
Omg that car is slow. Hamilton over a sec slower than max in the sprint. Very lucky Alonso blocked the faster Ferraris and Perez.
At least its not as slow as Aston which is an improvement from Japan

Luscion
Luscion

atanatizante wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 06:15
Nico Rosberg on Sky: "There's a 1.5s delta per lap between VER and HAM... speechless". Is he genuinely shocked or it's just the PR BS for the show?

Nonetheless, they are loosing 4.5 tenths in the low S1 (hence HAM complaining about the car is not rotating in the slow stuff), then 6.5 tenths in the high-speed S2 (which is just strange based on the Suzuka's S1 improvement) and just 4 tenths in the last sector were they loose particular with the poor traction out of the 14 turn.

I don't know how could they make the car faster and maybe altering the PU mapping in order to increase the traction ..
that would lead to higher tyre wear in the race meaning more stops in the race. It could be better to change towards this setup bearing in mind that in qualy they could switch the tyres more into their optimal window and more of that in a prospect of a cooler/wet race for tomorrow ...
i do wonder how much of that was Lewis just not bothering to push (excluding his issues with the car not turning in slow speed corners later in the race) knowing he couldnt catch Max, Alonso was holding up the rest of the pack, and when Perez cleared Alonso there just wasnt enough time to catch Lewis. It didnt seem like Max was catching Lewis at an alarming pace or anything after he cleared Alonso, but that lock up put Max within drs range and then he was gone
Last edited by Luscion on 20 Apr 2024, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

dialtone
dialtone

You could see from Max onboard camera that the Mercs simply do not turn. Max was taking tighter lines, turning faster and losing no time in the first corners. There’s a generation gap between the 2 cars.

Whats up with this trait of recent where it seems there’s no front-end bite? 2nd race in a row that HAMs complained about it. What do we think?

Solid race btw, I was anticipating him & RUS would meet in the middle, HAM losing out & RUS gaining.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

ringo

KimiRai wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 06:16
Hammerfist wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 05:51
Omg that car is slow. Hamilton over a sec slower than max in the sprint. Very lucky Alonso blocked the faster Ferraris and Perez.
At least its not as slow as Aston which is an improvement from Japan
The Aston is the faster car. Alonso I feel managed his pace poorly, and the deg of the car is too high, but it has good qualities. Good traction, good front end, and is stable. The deg and top speed is an issue, but it's a better car than W15.
For Sure!!

ringo

Re: Mercedes W15

CaribouBread wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 04:18
ringo wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 16:50
The Alpine looked like a different car with their new floor. Shows how much impact the floor alone has on the car, even when wings were not optimized to it.
Mercedes shouldn't be this incompetent with floor and suspension design, but let's see if they find their eureka moment.
Its probably has more to do with the lighter chassis as well as the floor in Alpine's case. Making progress in the sharp end is just difficult.
The new Alpine chassis is not lighter Will Buxton said.
For Sure!!

Vanja #66

Good job by Hamilton, kept the pace and got the podium with faster cars behind fighting each other. Well deserved points, he's clearly motivated and as quick as he can be when he's up there
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

SKYnRacing24

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 08:36
Good job by Hamilton, kept the pace and got the podium with faster cars behind fighting each other. Well deserved points, he's clearly motivated and as quick as he can be when he's up there
Yep was surprised by the P2 after waking up. Done a great job, unfortunately it still highlights the absolute dog of a car he's driving, from the radio sample i heard " the car can't turn in lowspeed " like wtf this car has no redeeming qualities and with par ferme changes into qualfying im expecting them to make it worse imo, this car has a small setup window and there going to make changes on the fly based off there sim data lool recipe for disaster but we shall see.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

j_ste
j_ste

The irony is that I feel Mercedes has been ok at the hairpin this weekend. Bad error

Brutal

SKYnRacing24

He made a mistake on both laps, not good enough for the 7 times champ.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Hero to zero with HAM. That shot of RUS, hands-on-hips speaks volumes - they better be cooking up a storm back at base with the updates.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Darth-Piekus

What happened with Hamilton in qualifying? He did a remarkable drive in the rain where driver counts and a fantastic sprint race but in Qualifying he wasnt there.

PierreW
PierreW

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 10:23
What happened with Hamilton in qualifying? He did a remarkable drive in the rain where driver counts and a fantastic sprint race but in Qualifying he wasnt there.
He locked up and lost a lot of time due to this. Bad bad mistake to make at that stage.

Darth-Piekus

In both tries?