McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL36

For those that don’t have Twitter, new package key differences via Albert Fabrega:

f1rules
f1rules

Stu

Severe paint/weight-saving measures…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Evolution of the MCL36 Sidepods throughout the season:

Via: @RosarioGiuliana

One
One

Have anyone checked the multitude of bouncing effects on track?

billamend
billamend

This upgrade is reminding me of the nose in 2020, that was essentially a 2021 part. Sainz hated it because it made the car particularly tricky to drive.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

billamend wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 13:38
This upgrade is reminding me of the nose in 2020, that was essentially a 2021 part. Sainz hated it because it made the car particularly tricky to drive.
There are probably a few pieces to the puzzle missing, adding that many new parts as they did this time carries a risk… if things don’t work as planned, which part is the culprit? But it is validation of the path they are planning on following in 2023

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

billamend wrote:
It hasn’t seem too tricky but just lazy and stiff. Very slow to change direction. Hopefully they can dial the package in on a more normal track. I guess the positive is that it isn’t slower and there is now a development direction that has opened up, compared to the dead alley they were in

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 17:11
Evolution of the MCL36 Sidepods throughout the season:

https://i.imgur.com/j4whxUE.jpg

Via: @RosarioGiuliana
Also interesting to note how even the livery has evolved and how much more bare carbon is prevalent in today’s version versus the beginning of the season in an effort to reduce weight.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 14:49
billamend wrote:
It hasn’t seem too tricky but just lazy and stiff. Very slow to change direction. Hopefully they can dial the package in on a more normal track. I guess the positive is that it isn’t slower and there is now a development direction that has opened up, compared to the dead alley they were in
Very hard to evaluate it based on the conditions of qualifying… I was looking at the the ideal lap versus actual lap for the drivers and there was a lot of time left on the table by everyone (interestingly, Gasly had the fastest ideal lap of the field by a large margin… He would have been 6 seconds faster than Hamilton’s ideal fastest lap as a reference).

Between a package that will need some time to find sweet spot, a very greasy track due to the rain and the fact that one mistake means not only losing lap time, but losing the entire car against a wall… Not the best place to make an assessment

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Comparisons between the French upgrade and the Singapore upgrade…

Note the undercut created by increasing the width of the sidepods (a good point of reference would be the rear view mirrors to understand how much wider the new package is)… Also, small detail changes like reducing the amount of vortices inducing flaps in the floor from 4 to 3 or changes to the fences (with the most interior one creating a vortex that runs on top of the floor, following Ferrari in this regard)

Via: NicolasF1i

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

A couple more pics showing the difference between the France and Singapore packages:

Via: Luke Smith (The Race)

There is also a YouTube video regarding the changes:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Another interesting change to the MCL36 fences have been a reshape of the most outward fence to better control front tire wake:

Taken from The-Race video

f1rules
f1rules

im unsure but i do think they moved some of the electronics from the sidepod to elsewhere, key did state in a recent interview that they made internal changes with this update

before
After

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

f1rules wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 07:34
im unsure but i do think they moved some of the electronics from the sidepod to elsewhere, key did state in a recent interview that they made internal changes with this update

before
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOKPvh2XMAc ... name=large
After
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeWcpx2XoAA ... name=large
Yeah they moved some stuff from underneath that rad. I still think packaging wise they could improve the sidepod/undercut area more but won’t happen this year. I wonder if water cooled sidepod rads would be an option there.