2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

GalacticHitchHiker wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 20:06

I'm curious what could potentially be given away with audio analysis, something to do with their exhaust?
In the past, teams have used audio analysis to determine power levels of engines

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 03:12
mwillems wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 02:31
Another interesting point in there, going back to a conversation with Diffuser and a few others (IIRC)... It states that the chassis was homologated in December, so design work continued up until around then before the chassis was finalised and probably it wasn't finalised in September as we may have previously thought.
Remember, there where dates for different parts of the chassis. The last date being in December. The part with the tokens, chassis structure and cooling behind the cockpit, needed to be agreed upon in September.

Front wing, not structural and aero was the last part.
True, I mis remembered that, or simply misread at the time, you clarified to November in a post but same difference to December almost. I stand quite corrected sir.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

PhillipM
PhillipM

Macklaren wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 20:17

I'm curious what could potentially be given away with audio analysis, something to do with their exhaust?
In the past, teams have used audio analysis to determine power levels of engines
Yes, for a power unit under full load, on the track, where other factors can be monitored. You're not finding anything from it revving up and down in the workshop.

adrianjordan

PhillipM wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 04:42
Macklaren wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 20:17

Yes, for a power unit under full load, on the track, where other factors can be monitored. You're not finding anything from it revving up and down in the workshop.
Agreed. Especially once you get all the audio compression, microphone eq effect etc that happens with a YouTube/Insta video.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Lucky
Lucky

the EDGE
the EDGE

Wow I’m surprised it’s that early, these release are normally like a week before testing at most

I guess that means there’s not a lot to hide this year, so I don’t think we will see a new side pod philosophy that I was hoping for

No doubt the aero-kit will be last years on the launch car like normal

I think it adds weight to an early shakedown at Silverstone

Are they still allowed 2 filming days a year?

KingHamilton01

the EDGE wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 12:26
Wow I’m surprised it’s that early, these release are normally like a week before testing at most

I guess that means there’s not a lot to hide this year, so I don’t think we will see a new side pod philosophy that I was hoping for

I think as you have mentioned the advantage of having the car ready mean's they can shakedown the car and make sure Merc power unit has been intergrated properly and a chance to see if cooling need's to be altered before the first test in Bahrain. They only get 3 day's testing this time right? so they can't afford to waste to much time in the garage looking at cooling issue's etc. The video they released earlier also said they have already got planned Part's/upgrade in the pipeline so I would imagine they will be looking at where they can regain downforce. Hard to say where there focus has really been but maybe they have managed to reprofile the sidepods to increase airflow around the floor and slim down the engine cover in part?

Of course all of that above is speculation on my half, not long until we find out now anyway.
McLaren Mercedes

the EDGE
the EDGE

KingHamilton01 wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 14:59
the EDGE wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 12:26

I think as you have mentioned the advantage of having the car ready mean's they can shakedown the car and make sure Merc power unit has been intergrated properly and a chance to see if cooling need's to be altered before the first test in Bahrain. They only get 3 day's testing this time right? so they can't afford to waste to much time in the garage looking at cooling issue's etc. The video they released earlier also said they have already got planned Part's/upgrade in the pipeline so I would imagine they will be looking at where they can regain downforce. Hard to say where there focus has really been but maybe they have managed to reprofile the sidepods to increase airflow around the floor and slim down the engine cover in part?

Of course all of that above is speculation on my half, not long until we find out now anyway.
Yes, I suspect you are right about McLaren sticking to their original schedule.

I’ve been thinking, 7 pm is awfully late for a launch event. These things normally take place between mid morning & mid afternoon

I wonder if they are actually going to shake the car down for a filming day on the 15th, I’m release the footage as part of an online launch with a 3-D rendered model

Lucky
Lucky

the EDGE wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 17:18
I’ve been thinking, 7 pm is awfully late for a launch event. These things normally take place between mid morning & mid afternoon
For usa

the EDGE
the EDGE

Lucky wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 18:51
the EDGE wrote:
For usa
Not 100% sure what you mean there, but if your referring to the time, the launch is at 19:00 GMT

that is 7pm U.K.time

Thunder

the EDGE wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 18:57
Lucky wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
For usa
Not 100% sure what you mean there, but if your referring to the time, the launch is at 19:00 GMT

that is 7pm U.K.time
So a perfect noon'ish timeframe for the US of A.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

the EDGE
the EDGE

Thunder wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 19:00
the EDGE wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 18:57
Lucky wrote:

For usa

that is 7pm U.K.time
So a perfect noon'ish timeframe for the US of A.
Oh I get ya, that makes sense then

_cerber1

Macklaren
Macklaren

the colorization of these photos to highlight the orange and blue makes it look like the whole crew has been hanging out in the Caribbean for months working on their tans

PhillipM
PhillipM

CjC wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 15:59
13.41 HP per lap over a race distance though 8)
That's full power, I.E - qualifying output - is going to be about a tenth, maybe a tenth and a half per lap, depending where, nothing spectacular.

Sustained mode must be better than that though because they're chatty about needing less cooling, so maybe a couple of tenths with the new aero + a little better at race starts because that should also mean a little less fuel load.