2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 17:47
Xero wrote:How well the team went at Imola suggests last year might not be an accurate measuring stick. Although, I am particularly excited about Monza this year.
The weather could play against Mclaren this weekend, it is expected to be windy during both Qualifying and the Race and it is something that has had a negative effect more often than not for the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure it’s that much of a problem anymore. Key had identified the wind issue as something that needed working on. If I’m remembering correctly, it was windy in Bahrain, but didn’t have such a noticeable negative effect.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

daren_p
daren_p

Ground Effect wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 19:04
SmallSoldier wrote:
Xero wrote:How well the team went at Imola suggests last year might not be an accurate measuring stick. Although, I am particularly excited about Monza this year.
The weather could play against Mclaren this weekend, it is expected to be windy during both Qualifying and the Race and it is something that has had a negative effect more often than not for the team.

Not sure it’s that much of a problem anymore. Key had identified the wind issue as something that needed working on. If I’m remembering correctly, it was windy in Bahrain, but didn’t have such a noticeable negative effect.
Exactly my thoughts, we know wind seemed to be an issue for them more so then other teams last year, so I was a little concerned with the forecasted winds in Bahrain. Turned out it didn't seem to hamper them that much, well at least not anymore then other teams. So curious if they have in fact corrected/improved that issue.

_cerber1

:o :o :o
Lando Norris: "There will be more races like the last two where we can be very competitive. But there will be also other races where Ferrari, Alpha Tauri and perhaps other teams will be in front of us."

Macklaren
Macklaren

_cerber1 wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 19:16
:o :o :o
Lando Norris: "There will be more races like the last two where we can be very competitive. But there will be also other races where Ferrari, Alpha Tauri and perhaps other teams will be in front of us."
Just PR speak -- I wouldn't read too much into it for now. In fact, Lando has been speaking PR-speak since Bahrain, which is a sign of maturity + the team's confidence (look at how Merc and RBR are constantly trying to emphasize that the other is faster)

godlameroso

He's not wrong though, McLaren's chassis is a bit behind the Ferrari or AT, but they have a better power unit, so it balances out. On tracks that put more emphasis on medium, and medium slow speed corners, McLaren won't be as fast. In race pace I think it's too close to call between McLaren and Ferrari, whoever has track position has pace to keep it.
Saishū kōnā

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 19:04
SmallSoldier wrote:

It will be interesting to see if this is a problem for those struggling with their rear end as it is, such as Mercedes and Aston Martin.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Xero wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 12:32
How well the team went at Imola suggests last year might not be an accurate measuring stick. Although, I am particularly excited about Monza this year.
Yeah, that agrees with my sentiment in general, which is that you can't really tell.

Portimão could easily go along the same lines and I'm looking forward to seeing what we have. Hopefully, we will be more competetive than last year, but we will see, as the weekend is arriving :)

Three day holiday here in the UK too, so no work till Tuesday!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mclaren111

Enjoy the weekend... Here's hoping we have a good weekend as well... =P~ =P~

Xero

godlameroso wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 20:44
He's not wrong though, McLaren's chassis is a bit behind the Ferrari or AT, but they have a better power unit, so it balances out. On tracks that put more emphasis on medium, and medium slow speed corners, McLaren won't be as fast.
I agree, but that chassis deficit doesn't seem as obvious as it did last year. The PU isn't McLaren's only silver bullet though, it's main edge is it's high speed corner performance. Arguably class of the field in that respect based on what we've seen so far (not saying it is, but there are arguments to back up that it could be).

godlameroso wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 20:44
In race pace I think it's too close to call between McLaren and Ferrari, whoever has track position has pace to keep it.
The PU advantage will always favour McLaren in this respect, as we saw at Imola, a difficult place to overtake. Conditions weren't representative though, so we still need to figure that out.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Russell ahead of us in FP1 -- OMG, time to panic!!
#sarcasm #FP1

Herr_Koos

Macklaren wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 13:39
Russell ahead of us in FP1 -- OMG, time to panic!!
#sarcasm #FP1
Yep, clearly we're headed for another disaster of a weekend. 8)

_cerber1

Seidl: The basic characteristics are still the same. Low grip so it's difficult to get heat in the tyres. You can do 4 or 5 flying laps on the tyres which is not normal.

Lucky
Lucky

Andreas Seidl talks about the switch to 2022 car: I would say it's quite soon.
Definitely... ofcourse we still want to bring more upgrades to the car which we will do in the next races but at the same time it's very important to not loose sight on the overall journey, which is getting back to the front in F1 again.
 It's not something we can do this year. I think the regulations next year is a good opportunity if we get it right.

MrGapes

Like last year our sector 3 is still pretty bad... not too surprised though because of the slower corners.

Emag
Emag

Race pace doesn't seem too bad compared to Ferrari, but Charles was definitely a bit faster on the mediums.