2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

So I went back to check who Alonso lost the positions to after his first pit stop. It was #5 Vettel and # 24 Zhou. Zhou pitted on the following lap(so he got that position back) and Vettel who stopped 3 laps earlier(lap 5). So to say that he lost 2 places cause he stopped 1 lap later than Ocon is BS.
LAP 7 GAP    TIME
14     9.382 1:53.315
5     33.177 1:48.401
is Gap 33 - 9 = 24 seconds

LAP 8 GAP    TIME
14    PIT    1:52.739
5     21.219 1:50.163
Gap is 21 seconds

LAP 9 GAP    TIME
5     16.205 1:48.638
14    18.551 2:12.203
Alonso's pit stop took 24.106,2nd fastest of the whole race. So arguably he was behind Vettel on Lap 7. Ocon's pit stop on lap 7 took 25.172 seconds.

Also... Merc Double stacked ...
44 Lewis HAMILTON Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team 7 16:27:36 2 25.059 7:01.563
63 George RUSSELL Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team 7 16:27:40 2 28.728 7:09.785
Clearily George paid a price for the double stack.
Last edited by diffuser on 12 Oct 2022, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 00:10
diffuser wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 23:14
AR3-GP wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 22:09

Double stacking must be part of a team's repertoire.
I've never seen Alpine do a double stack. I also remember when Merc put two of Russel's tires on Bottas's car. Obviously the closer together the teams cars are running, the harder it is to execute.
Red Bull executed one just fine in Monaco and Japan.

We can't just say a team shouldn't know how to double stack and excuse it.

Also, for what it's worth, I don't think Alpine's issue was they don't know how to double stack or that they considered it "risky". It's more likely they wanted to split the cars in case of a safety car or VSC coming out. It would have jumped Alonso far up the queue had it happened.
Oh the risky thing was my opinion. They are hard to get right, when 8 cars pit on the same lap with a gap of 15 seconds from front to back, there is a large chance of beng held back cause of passing traffic in the pit lane. Also, the first car carries good speed till the start of the pit lane, then travels at pit lane speed. The car behind him starts travelling at pit line speed maybe 1.5 car length before the pit lane starts because the car in front slows down. That extra car length gets adds to your pit time, the same is compounded for all the other 6 cars. One more thing, if you're team mate is directly in front of you, you have to wait the 2 - 5 seconds it takes to do his pit stop.

Double stacking only really makes sense when pitting during the safety car. There you're saving more than 10 seconds compared to a pit stop under green flag conditions.

renault rs26
renault rs26

Chequered flag was waved one lap earlier, Alonso would overtake Vettel without another error from race direction.

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 15:55
Alonso Fan wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 21:49
diffuser wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 17:25

Change the tires 1 lap earlier and they would have made it.
Yeah both Alo pitstop were late. Late onto first inters and late onto new inters. So much missed opportunity. But good result for the team

After thinking about this a bit, adding to the complexity of the tire change strategy was, they did not know how many laps were left. In other words, when they pulled the trigger on changing the tires, they might have thought they would have had one or two more laps than they got.
There was no lap count, but there was a timer, if they know how to do some simple maths, they perfectly know how many laps were left, with 1 lap of margin depending on the leader position on the track

Agree on the splitting strategies point tough, they were in the perfect position to split them and hope for a SC

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 11:48
diffuser wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 15:55
Alonso Fan wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 21:49

Yeah both Alo pitstop were late. Late onto first inters and late onto new inters. So much missed opportunity. But good result for the team

After thinking about this a bit, adding to the complexity of the tire change strategy was, they did not know how many laps were left. In other words, when they pulled the trigger on changing the tires, they might have thought they would have had one or two more laps than they got.
There was no lap count, but there was a timer, if they know how to do some simple maths, they perfectly know how many laps were left, with 1 lap of margin depending on the leader position on the track

Agree on the splitting strategies point tough, they were in the perfect position to split them and hope for a SC
They waited 1 more lap to pit Alonso cause they were waiting for a SC? That doesn't make sense, why only 1 more lap ? I think it was:
- They didn't know the undercut was gonna be so strong
- "double stacking" is typically a slower pit time on the second car, when the 2 cars are seconds apart. You only do it under SC, VSC conditions or the gap is large enough between the 2 cars.
- There was were already 8 cars coming in (all with 15 seconds of each other). Although I'm not sure they would know how many cars are gonna pit .

Also if you look, Russel is 3 seconds behind Alonso on lap 6(BEFORE all the pit stops) and on Lap 9 Russel is 6 seconds (AFTER all the pit stops) behind Alonso.

Russel was 3 seconds ahead of Yuki before the Pit stops and on lap 9 he is 2 seconds behind. They both pitted on lap 7.

I beleive they made the right call. The only way Alonso doesn't end up behind Vettel is by pitting Alonso on lap 6.

diffuser

Looks like Alonso was upset cause he wanted to pit on lap 5 ...

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... er-alonso/

Alonso Fan

diffuser wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 22:10

This is why I said it was a huge missed opportunity. The sky commentators kept going on about how everyone was going to change quickly to inters because of the literal seconds of pace difference. I thought it was a no brainer. If not a podium it would be easy P4 and 5. But looking at how fast the alpine was on the straights I think a podium would have been possible
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

organic

Alonso Fan wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 00:44
diffuser wrote:

This is why I said it was a huge missed opportunity. The sky commentators kept going on about how everyone was going to change quickly to inters because of the literal seconds of pace difference. I thought it was a no brainer. If not a podium it would be easy P4 and 5. But looking at how fast the alpine was on the straights I think a podium would have been possible
Alonso would not have been able to beat leclerc or Perez. Even with optimal strategy, no way..

diffuser

organic wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 01:11
Alonso Fan wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 00:44
diffuser wrote:

Alonso would not have been able to beat leclerc or Perez. Even with optimal strategy, no way..
I hate the "what if" thing. I get Alonso wanted to change tires on lap 5, there is evidence of that. There was a chance for a podium. Would he have done it ? is anyone's guess. There is no evidence suggesting he couldn't or could.

organic

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alpi ... /10385563/
"They're already, really, significantly up with next year's car,” said Permane, when asked about the progress of the team into 2023. “It's very good. It's very exciting.”

Wouter

Yesterday was in Paris the Ballon D'Or event.
Gasly was for the first time present with Rossi, Alonso and Ocon from Alpine, his 2023 team.

Ocon drove the Ballon D'Or in their racecar to the event and Rossi and Gasly were on the Red Carpet.

Elena, Esteban, Pierre and Fransisca.

The Power of Dreams!

CjC
CjC

organic wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 11:14
"They're already, really, significantly up with next year's car,” said Permane, when asked about the progress of the team into 2023. “It's very good. It's very exciting.”
He’s not shy about raising expectations is he?
Just a fan's point of view

diffuser

CjC wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 19:20
organic wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 11:14
He’s not shy about raising expectations is he?

It's a nothing burger. How much you've upgraded next year's car means nothing till you know how much everyone else has. So he can say what he wants. Don't get caught up in that talk. Especially in the 2nd year of a new reg, the gains will be huge in comparison to later years.

It is better than silence though, which might mean they're at a loss to figure out what's going on.

If they would have kept Alonso, I would have thought 4th in the constructors would have been a shoe in and it would have been interesting to see if they could challenge for 3ird, you can see that the parts they're bringing to the track have a BIG positive impact. Now it's gonna be more about can Ocon deliver without Alonso? You often saw that Ocon was nowhere in a weekend. Then, all of a sudden, he'd do something in Q2 and Q3. So was he stone walling or was it that he couldn't figure it out on it's own and started to use Alonso's data? On a few weekends he was on it from the get go, so I have my concerns. Then there is that SAT are nowhere, is that the car or is it that Gasley can't take it up a notch? The positive is that neither of the new two are crashers. That will keep the costs on making replacement parts for when they have performance upgrades rather than replacing broken parts.
Last edited by diffuser on 19 Oct 2022, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

TimW
TimW

diffuser wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 19:51
... The positive is that neither of the new two are crashers. That will keep the costs on making replacement parts for when they have performance upgrades rather than replacing broken parts.
Two drivers who are rated similarly, both will be eager to lay claim to the #1 status. Both are at the "make or break" point of their career. Sounds like a recipe for fireworks to me. I am looking forward to it (and Ocon and Gasly updating their reputation to being crashers :mrgreen: )

Jambier

TimW wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 10:16
diffuser wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 19:51
... The positive is that neither of the new two are crashers. That will keep the costs on making replacement parts for when they have performance upgrades rather than replacing broken parts.
Two drivers who are rated similarly, both will be eager to lay claim to the #1 status. Both are at the "make or break" point of their career. Sounds like a recipe for fireworks to me. I am looking forward to it (and Ocon and Gasly updating their reputation to being crashers :mrgreen: )
Two french, two normand, same career point. In a French car
What could go wrong ? :D

Indeed each of them will fight for his career, it will be crucial to be ahead so...

And the two are agressive, remember OCO and PER