Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza and JordanGP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Re: Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza and JordanGP

Not bad for a rookie ;)
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

jordangp

If anyone's interested there are some pics here of the revamped Adelaide circuit.

More:
http://s1146.photobucket.com/albums/o54 ... =slideshow

MIKEY_!

Why did you drop those narrow sidepods?

PS this is a fantasy league effectively (not that that's a bad thing) right? So why not race at Bathurst!!!!

jordangp

There appeared to be some reliability issues with the sidepods, so we've reverted to standard, yet very tight sidepods.

And although, I wouldn't of classed the championship as fantasy, it is much more of a simulation game, where realism is intended. F1 could race at Adelaide, whereas safety grounds for Bathurst, I'm not so sure.

jordangp

There's an article here about the rear end of our car. Worth a read.

http://sketch-tech.blogspot.com/2012/03 ... o-i12.html

MIKEY_!

Yes the safety aspect is a problem. Looking forward to this fancy qualifying device.

jordangp

Sorry I havn't uploaded pics for my Australian GP car, I will do it tomorrow, including full explanation of my WBD. Yep that's right WBD (Water Blown Diffuser). After battling with rival team F1Fighters throughout practice and qualifying, our WBD usage managed to get us P1&2 on the grid for tomorrow. Both Heidfeld and Kubica were over 3 tenths ahead of anyone else in Q3.

jordangp

Win for Kubica!
Heidfeld Finished Fourth.
We are currently leading constructors by 19 points.

Pictures of our car to follow later, including a preview at some Malaysia Upgrades.

N12ck

Can you do an explanation on this WBD, I have to say, I'm extremely sceptical

1: where do you store the water
2: what can you gain (water cannot be compressed etc)
3: how are you blowing it
4: WHY!?! :lol:

:D
Budding F1 Engineer

Aussie
Aussie

Are you running 2012 spec rules?? If so how in the world did you find the loophole to get your WBD through??

I am really interesting to see how it works too and also your pics of your car and Malaysia updates.

Keep up the good work

MIKEY_!

On another note, which engine do you use? Does formula sketch provide a set of dimensions that you use and are there a selection of engines? Also is there a given fuel tank volume that is specified?

jordangp

Yes this is a 2012 spec car. Our engine is the 'fantasy engine' Ford FR12. All engines are slightly differently modelled, and Ford have produced one with very good power and reliability, while also remaining relatively small. As for fuel tanks, there isn't a set volume, but if someone's is clearly too small, then thwy will not make the race distance.

Ok here's an explanation of the water blown diffuser:

Basically water comes from the cooling circuit pump in the sidepods, and is sprayed at high into the outer part of the diffuser. You would quickly run out of water however, so we only use it in qualifying. We are allowed to do so, because the primary use of the water is engine cooling, and the aerodynamic benefit is a side effect.

There are 2 theories surrounding the idea, based on the Bernoulli principal.

One theory is that the water drags the surrounding air with it, and would create a lower pressure point under the diffuser, to help generate downforce.

The other theory is the water itself creates a vortex, and the centre of the vortex creates a low pressure zone under the diffuser, to increase downforce.

The coanda effect makes the water flow attach to the underside of the diffuser, to create the low pressure point there. Using the water will not only - realistically - make the track slippier for others behind, but have an overall downforce increase also.

jordangp

Sorry I didn't upload pictures of my Australian GP spec, but this here is the Malaysian GP spec.

Here you can see the new exhaust positioning, and an intake for the condenser, which will be implemented into the car for the Water Blown Diffuser, via a heat exchanger.

Here is my new rear wing, with an intake in the endplates, when the DRS is closed, the airflow feeds into a passive F duct in the central section of the main plane. When it is open, it instead exits through a hole, which is covered by the DRS, as Mercedes do.

New diffuser, with extended upper deck, and now including gurneys above.

Here is the WBD, and the explanation for how it works can be found on the previous post.

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Beautiful
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

WBD is very interesting. And very inventive. The FIA might nail you for dangerous construction due to making the track wet. I sounds a bit like a cartoon where they put oil or marbles on the road to trip up the bad guys :lol: . I'm not 100% convinced that this is better than using cooling air for example but that stuff aside... =D> =D> =D> Nice one mate!