2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

PhillipM wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 16:49
CjC wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 15:59
13.41 HP per lap over a race distance though 8)
That's full power, I.E - qualifying output - is going to be about a tenth, maybe a tenth and a half per lap, depending where, nothing spectacular.

Sustained mode must be better than that though because they're chatty about needing less cooling, so maybe a couple of tenths with the new aero + a little better at race starts because that should also mean a little less fuel load.
That's really interesting, thanks Philip.
Peak figures were banded about quite a lot over time but I always wondered if the secret sauce of the Merc engine was in the sustained output.

Do you know any more about the engine, harvesting and deployment for instance?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

PhillipM wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 16:49
That's full power, I.E - qualifying output - is going to be about a tenth, maybe a tenth and a half per lap, depending where, nothing spectacular.
Mercedes 2021 better than Renault 2020 by 0.1 seconds? This is clearly fake news.

Don't trust him, fake insider.

Emag
Emag

Peak power? Totally believable. Renault was undeniably very strong during qualifying. Why do you think McLaren was 0.250s behind pole in Abu Dhabi but ~1s slower per lap during the race itself? Its partly due to the car not being as strong as RedBull and Mercedes of course but also because Renault's qualifying mode is more powerful, relatively speaking, than their sustained mode during the race.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Emag wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 00:42
Peak power? Totally believable. Renault was undeniably very strong during qualifying. Why do you think McLaren was 0.250s behind pole in Abu Dhabi but ~1s slower per lap during the race itself? Its partly due to the car not being as strong as RedBull and Mercedes of course but also because Renault's qualifying mode is more powerful, relatively speaking, than their sustained mode during the race.
I thought special qualifying modes were banned and that they had to race using what ever mode they qualified with?

Emag
Emag

Dipesh1995 wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 00:51
I thought special qualifying modes were banned and that they had to race using what ever mode they qualified with?
That affects all teams/engines though, so what is your point?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Dipesh1995 wrote:
Emag wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 00:42
You are right... Nevertheless, if the Renault engines have more fuel consumption, they would need to lift and coast for longer during the race in order to save fuel, while Mercedes could be under power for longer... Therefore, even though the Qualifying and Race Modes are the same, the gap due to their engines would be larger in Race than in Qualifying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PhillipM
PhillipM

mwillems wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 18:00
That's really interesting, thanks Philip.
Peak figures were banded about quite a lot over time but I always wondered if the secret sauce of the Merc engine was in the sustained output.

Do you know any more about the engine, harvesting and deployment for instance?
Nah, I just hear the odd bit of workshop chatter, I'm not involved. If I was I wouldn't be able to say anything :lol:

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Emag wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 03:16
Dipesh1995 wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 00:51
That affects all teams/engines though, so what is your point?
Well my point is if the modes are exactly the same, as SmallSoldier points out, only the fuel consumption characteristics can make a difference rather than having two separate modes as your post implies. Personally, I think a lot of the deficit is due to how the car behaves with a higher fuel load and also the tyre deg pattern over a stint. That's my two cents anyway.

Edit: I think they have some leeway for ERS modes though? So maybe Merc just have a more efficient ERS system which contributes to the widening of the gap from quali to the race.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Whilst there may be one map, don't be fooled into thinking there aren't significant differences in the full beans mode compared to the self sustaining one. The regulation was more about making things easier to police than anything else.

mwillems

For some reason I've never particularly noticed, but do the cars harvest less in a Qualy lap since they are fully charged, so that they don't D-Rate on a straight?
I'm just think of the different ways that the electrical efficiency can affect the speed of the car.

-Bandit

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 14:12
Whilst there may be one map, don't be fooled into thinking there aren't significant differences in the full beans mode compared to the self sustaining one. The regulation was more about making things easier to police than anything else.
2020 you were allowed 1 map per track. Maps went into lock down in Quali.

2021 6 Maps for the whole year, maps are decided BEFORE the year starts.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 15:21
For some reason I've never particularly noticed, but do the cars harvest less in a Qualy lap since they are fully charged, so that they don't D-Rate on a straight?
I'm just think of the different ways that the electrical efficiency can affect the speed of the car.
They did at the start of 2020 and the years before. Not anymore. It would be considered cheating now.

Where they deploy the MGU-K is variable but harvesting is part of the map. (The way I understand it anyways).

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
Not sure what you're trying to say. There is ONLY the self sustaining one now. Full beans can be found in a history book near you.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 16:27
mwillems wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 15:21
They did at the start of 2020 and the years before. Not anymore. It would be considered cheating now.

Where they deploy the MGU-K is variable but harvesting is part of the map. (The way I understand it anyways).
That makes sense, yes.

-Bandit

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 16:42
PhillipM wrote:
Not sure what you're trying to say. There is ONLY the self sustaining one now. Full beans can be found in a history book near you.
I may be misinterpreting...

I think he was referring to a previous comment about a difference of 13.41 in peak HP, and I think agreeing with you that it's not relevant. That the peak difference can actually be a smaller power difference than between different sustained modes on the engine i.e. two different engines running at 90% where at that point on the curve, the power difference could be relatively greater than if both engines were at 100%.

Basically, ignore peak power, it's not that relevant.

Whether that the correct interpretation, or even correct, I don't know.

-Bandit