2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
siskue2005

Re: 2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

No, the sensors in the pit stop are predicting when the tyre are tightened.

For example in normal condition: If the tyres are all fastened the sensors will show green lights AFTER its tightened.

But In some teams what I understand from the team principals quote that the sensors are active and automated and they predict for example the tyres being tightened 0.25 sec BEFORE it's actually done. That's automated and that's why they are able to do pitstops in 1.8 sec.

So the sensors should not be active it should be passive like on and off

In normal conditions the humans who relase the jack and the drivers need 0.25 sec to react, but that seconds are shaved off by the sensors predicting it early. Which according to FIA is recipe for disaster and against the rules.

And it's no where in the grey zone like DAS or flex wings

TimW
TimW

siskue2005 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 11:34
No, the sensors in the pit stop are predicting when the tyre are tightened.

For example in normal condition: If the tyres are all fastened the sensors will show green lights AFTER its tightened.

But In some teams what I understand from the team principals quote that the sensors are active and automated and they predict for example the tyres being tightened 0.25 sec BEFORE it's actually done. That's automated and that's why they are able to do pitstops in 1.8 sec.

So the sensors should not be active it should be passive like on and off

In normal conditions the humans who relase the jack and the drivers need 0.25 sec to react, but that seconds are shaved off by the sensors predicting it early. Which according to FIA is recipe for disaster and against the rules.

And it's no where in the grey zone like DAS or flex wings
That makes more sense. I also found it confusing, thought it meant that no automation based on sensor signals was allowed. But predictive sensors makes much more sense and then I also understand the directive.

Still I think it will be challenging for the pit crews to consistently adhere to the reaction times. With such a fixed sequence of events and a lot of training, it is hard not to anticipate the completion of the steps.

Sieper

ringo wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 08:27
Honda has a power advantage here. We see it from the Alpha Tauri as well. Not only that, the cornering speed of the redbull visually looks the highest. Does anyone have data on that?
Though looking at the dips, the Redbull has highest speed at the low speed.
I don't know who needs to hear this, but advantage redbull. Best car to have this season hands down.
We will need some rain to spice up this race.

As for the pitstop rules. It is a nice way for the FIA to say that we know you are doing something funny, so we will neutralize it with our new reaction times. If you are doing pitstops by human reaction it will not be a problem. If you continue to use your automated systems then you will feel disadvantaged.
I think it is a serious breach and possibly worse than the Ferarri super engine sage from 2019.
It's unfair to be competing with automation against human capabilities. The French GP was won by 0.1 seconds as the two cars met after Hamilton left the pitstops.
All of this is based on a comparison between a lap that was not Lewis fastest by over 3 tenths. As was stated a few posts before your own. And that lap was taken away for a turn 10 infringement by centimeters, certainly not worth the 3 tenths. 3 tenths here is massive.

We will see today who is fastest. I expect at least Hamilton in the top 3 and usually (I predicted that correctly for Paul Ricard) Bottas too. But the differences here will be very small (short track) so someone else might be able to make a top 3 starting place instead of Bottas. Plus he has a grid penalty Ofcourse. Talking purely about times set in Q3.

Mr.S
Mr.S

The Bottas thing was fair. You have no right to endanger people. He could have hit the Mclaren pit crew ! [...]

Bottas has out-qualified Perez consistently & despite being a mediocre race guy & Perez being awesome in tyre management & good in race pace, Perez has no major advantage over Bottas in most races except Baku. Verstappen won by 2 to 3s with fresher tyres, undercut & better strategy.

I hope there is rain. In that case, Mclaren, Ferrari, Alpine & other also get a chance & tactics will be crucial. I am happy Hamilton & Mercedes are not getting a cakewalk & have to work towards the title. I mean MSC won with Benetton cars far behind Williams. Heck, Alonso almost won in 2012 with a crap Ferrari. If you are a 7 time champion, you should be able to win with a car which is tied or marginally ahead in race pace against the 2nd team but behind in Street circuits & qualifying ! Also the idea of Honda having a comfortably superior engine when RB are running such a small rear wing is laughable. Probably Honda & Mercedes are tied on engines as RB & Mercedes are on the chassis, but who knows ! These are the same people who said RB gained 6 tenths with flexi rear wing. Where did those 6 tenths go??

Let there be rain !!!
Last edited by Steven on 26 Jun 2021, 12:42, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed trolling part

Sieper

Qualy day, race units and power settings. The Williams looking mighty. Merc power seems very good.

El Scorchio

So there you go. Unsafe release from the garage for Alpha Tauri. That’s what we should be getting penalties for as well.

Sieper

What! Tsunoda on yellows. The rookie is back. (In FP that is).

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton asking where RB three tenths gap comes from. Straight line speed his engineer replied!
Yup. This weekend will be tough one. :cry:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Sieper

4 Honda’s top 4. If this is real it is looking like it is on.

1.04.9 for Max 🙏

Sieper

Hamilton on the radio speaking about the 3 tenths Max had. “Straight line speed”.

Max goes almost a full second faster in his next Hot lap. Lewis makes the same improvement (bar 1 tenth).

What a bullshitting.

RZS10

So thanks to that +3 for Bottas it will be Lewis against 4 Red Bulls ... unless they do something about that unsafe release

Sieper

I don’t think so. Something we have seen many times in FP sessions. Sometimes even in qualy sessions without punishment. This year even multiple times.

lh13
lh13

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 12:31
Hamilton asking where RB three tenths gap comes from. Straight line speed his engineer replied!
Yup. This weekend will be tough one. :cry:
And then he went 4 tenths faster. Hamilton is known for BS, I wouldn't take that too seriously.

Juzh

Sieper wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 12:34
Hamilton on the radio speaking about the 3 tenths Max had. “Straight line speed”.

Max goes almost a full second faster in his next Hot lap. Lewis makes the same improvement (bar 1 tenth).

What a bullshitting.
Hamilton is so full off it lately it makes him look dumb quite frankly. This disingenuous comment was so obviously meant to be broadcasted even a zero IQ person could see trough it.
This all coming from a guy who had the best engine in F1 for literally all years he's competed in bar 2018 and 19.

edit. as I write this comment, he goes 6 tenths ahead. That tells you everything really.
Last edited by Juzh on 26 Jun 2021, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

It’s clear the track is evolving. Keep your knickers on everyone.