[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
yinlad

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

R02 vs R03, visually not too dissimilar but almost every surface has changed. The story of the development is lots of small changes to drop drag while trying to maintain load.

Floor: Moved to a more rounded diffuser among other geometry changes to try and improve the performance at the rear. Floor edge change to compliment the new sidepod undercut.

Floor fences: Minor geometry changes for a small performance gain.

Sidepods: Higher inlet lip with recessed 'top lip' to make the flow work. Allowed me to drop the supporting structure under the mirror but had to abandon the slides as I needed more volume at the rear to cool sufficiently. Reworked the shape of the undercut to help deliver better air to the mid floor and control front wheel wake.

Nose: Similar to R02 but terminates on the top side of the front wing. Just some modelling tidy up with a small performance gain.

Front & Rear suspension: Minor adjustments to tidy up some separation.

Rear wing: Flap and beam wing reshaped to drop some of the drag I'd piled on for Monaco. I think the rear wing is my weakest area on the car at the moment, the efficiency just isn't where it could/should be.

MVRC - Panthera

G-raph

Sad to see Busor go after showing so much promise, but this challenge can be quite time consuming to fight at the front, so I understand. Hopefully we'll see you around next year.

But having a new entry is great news. Welcome Typhoon Dynamics Racing, I hope you will enjoy it!

Nice steady and detailed development from Panthera, it looks like you're keen to keep your spot on the podium now! :mrgreen:

This third race of the season feels like a title decider. I have made some progress, but not as much as I had hoped, and of course there will be the surprise of correlation... as well as Variante legendary in-season development! I'll try to get the usual renders ready tomorrow.

G-raph

And here is my attempt to improve efficiency for Race 03!

As you can see I decided to copy the sidepod inlet from the slower car in the championship... there are good ideas and designs everywhere!

Other than that, there are also minor changes to the front wing (more font balance), one of the floor fences, and the beamwing (efficient drag reduction).

Good luck everyone!

variante

My car has been updated and sent to race in Silverstone.

I expect slightly lower drag, slightly higher downforce, and full cooling performance, compared to Monaco.
Yes, I ended up choosing quite a high downforce setup. Although the medium downforce one was slighly better on the simulator, recent experience suggests me that the actual race favors a higher downforce approach. We shall see if that holds true...

Since the bodywork updates are either aesthetically minimal or hidden, I'll rather show you more artistic images:

yinlad

variante wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 22:55
Yes, I ended up choosing quite a high downforce setup. Although the medium downforce one was slighly better on the simulator, recent experience suggests me that the actual race favors a higher downforce approach. We shall see if that holds true...
I fear I should have done the same, honestly. I think the podium is going to need an efficiency of -4.0 with Cl around -6.5.

Personally I think I'll hit above that Cl but for worse efficiency and suffer because of it.

I think CAE will have a good efficiency and snatch P3 if he's maintained or improved on the R01 efficiency and fixed the R02 issues
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

yinlad wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 23:15
variante wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 22:55
I fear I should have done the same, honestly. I think the podium is going to need an efficiency of -4.0 with Cl around -6.5.

Personally I think I'll hit above that Cl but for worse efficiency and suffer because of it.

I think CAE will have a good efficiency and snatch P3 if he's maintained or improved on the R01 efficiency and fixed the R02 issues
Yes, I confirm good efficiency for me, but too low downforce and not perfect balance. I would be very happy with 4th or 5th place.

variante

Any news? Are we going to see the results today? or maybe just the cars that entered the race?

LVDH

Hi, I was a bit busy with other things and also Koldskaal's car crashed again, so I had to investigate deeper. I think everything is done now, so I will check if the results are reasonable and submit them to Max latest tomorrow. You should get the video on Sunday then.

LVDH

So, here are the cars that showed up in Silverstone:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc- ... tone-2024/

As with many new teams, there was an issue with the new one - Typhoon Dynamics Racing.
Somehow the car did not show up assembled but rather just in parts:
I am sure, next race the car will arrive ready to race.
And if there are issues with exporting from CAD to stl, I am sure other teams are happy to help out.

Dodgy_Malaka_69
Dodgy_Malaka_69

Hey, when I modelled the car it was proper in the assembly. i didnt make any changes to the coordinate system. I modelled in and around the RV's and MAND files downloaded from the website.
I want to attach my assembled modelled, but I'm not sure how to attach an image in the text. It would be helpful if someone could guide me in this.
Also, while submitting I put all the part files in the respective folder. I didnt upload the assembly in it. Are we supposed to upload the assembly file as well? If yes, I might have missed it 😢

LVDH

Dodgy_Malaka_69 wrote:
17 Jul 2024, 06:14
Also, while submitting I put all the part files in the respective folder. I didnt upload the assembly in it. Are we supposed to upload the assembly file as well? If yes, I might have missed it 😢
You are not the first to run into this problem. CAD packages are pretty often funny when it comes to exporting stl files. Best is, to load the case in MFlow once and make sure, if everything looks right. MFlow will even complain about certain issues, among them wrong scale of the car.
You can let us know what software you used, maybe one of the others has it as well and can help.

To show images here, you have to upload them to somewhere and then use the link. No idea, why this forum does not allow it.

hollus

How to post a picture. Feel free to read the whole thread.

viewtopic.php?p=1146424#p1146424
Rivals, not enemies.

Koldskaal

Round 3 GB GRAND PRIX

MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

variante

Definitely not the numbers that I was expecting. André, did my Rear Wing stall like crazy maybe?

CAEdevice

Much better than I feared, I'm satisfied to have resolved the problems encountered in Monaco