2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
flexcon
flexcon

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Revs84 wrote:
27 May 2018, 21:34
Since you're mentioning new engine, I've been wondering why most people, including commentators, have been saying that Canada is the point when the teams should bring their second set of components, in order to comply with the regulations.

However, in order to stick with the regulations of 1 engine, turbo and mgu-h per 7 races, wouldn't the natural timing to bring them be France? That is, unless they plan to keep the old components in the pool. Even if so, why would they go back to old components when they have new specs available, unless they do so in a non-power sensitive track such as the Hungaroring or Singapore?

With the Toro Rosso drivers already taking new components in Bahrain and a PU change for Hartley due to the crash in Barcelona, they are inevitably set for penalties, however, Tanabe says they will still stick to their original plan.

This makes me think that as most suspected, Honda have indeed planned strategic penalties for a fourth set of components, regardless of any unplanned component changes along the way. It also seems to me like they're not the only team.

What are your thoughts on this?
The first engine has done all practice sessions, qualifying and Race distance.

once the second engine comes into the pool, it ideally will only be used for qualifying and race and the odd practice 3.

Revs84
Revs84

etusch wrote:
27 May 2018, 22:26
Revs84 wrote:
Since you're mentioning new engine, I've been wondering why most people, including commentators, have been saying that Canada is the point when the teams should bring their second set of components, in order to comply with the regulations.

However, in order to stick with the regulations of 1 engine, turbo and mgu-h per 7 races, wouldn't the natural timing to bring them be France? That is, unless they plan to keep the old components in the pool. Even if so, why would they go back to old components when they have new specs available, unless they do so in a non-power sensitive track such as the Hungaroring or Singapore?

With the Toro Rosso drivers already taking new components in Bahrain and a PU change for Hartley due to the crash in Barcelona, they are inevitably set for penalties, however, Tanabe says they will still stick to their original plan.

This makes me think that as most suspected, Honda have indeed planned strategic penalties for a fourth set of components, regardless of any unplanned component changes along the way. It also seems to me like they're not the only team.

we Honda fans want to see more power as soon as possibe and because of that we are expecting updated Pu to Canada. But in the other hand I also keep in mind that it might not be there. Until Honda not validate it, it is a question. According to Tanabe san's statement I understand that if there is not a big gain with new engine and if the engine installed the car is not finish it's life, they will keep racing with the engine and bring update end of its life.

My Quesiton is, is Canada offers same opportunity to Toro Rosso with Bahrain ? Can they be fast there again ? If they can be best of rest or something like monaco order I think they can keep the engine and bring update later.
As a Honda fan I want to see Toro Rosso Honda fighting for a championship not just more power :lol:

I really hope Honda are able to bring the update in Canada with the rumoured increase in power. This wait is killing me! :|

Revs84
Revs84

flexcon wrote:
27 May 2018, 22:43
Revs84 wrote:

The first engine has done all practice sessions, qualifying and Race distance.

once the second engine comes into the pool, it ideally will only be used for qualifying and race and the odd practice 3.
If it's gonna do quali, it will do FP3. To little time to change the PU.

etusch

Revs84 wrote:
27 May 2018, 22:45

As a Honda fan I want to see Toro Rosso Honda fighting for a championship not just more power :lol:

I really hope Honda are able to bring the update in Canada with the rumoured increase in power. This wait is killing me! :|
I also want that and very hopefull about next season to see them in best of the rest position but very close to 3d team. This season I just hope to see improvement on chassis and more power on engine.

Revs84
Revs84

https://youtu.be/qh3csP1krf0

Fast forward to 4:05.

That moment when Alonso hopes that Hulkenberg is faster than Gasly and finds that he isn't :lol: I wonder what made him ask that question :D

P.S. Before my message gets deleted, there's Gasly involved in the equation :)

GhostF1
GhostF1

Revs84 wrote:
27 May 2018, 23:12

That moment when Alonso hopes that Hulkenberg is faster than Gasly and finds that he isn't :lol: I wonder what made him ask that question :D

Lol... Obviously Honda is still a big topic discussed over at McL still...

Talisman
Talisman

I pity Gasly, after all the speed differential between the STR and everyone else is so great it must be scary... eh Alonso?

Decent result helped a lot by running in clean air for a while and lots of tight slow corners that flatter the STR. Hartley getting a full dose of the bad luck that appears to be his destiny.

Roll on Canada, I hope the new spec is both ready and the step forward it needs to be.

As for the rest of the race well done Ricciardo but I can’t help thinking today’s events have helped Honda close the deal with RBR.

Alonso Fan

GhostF1 wrote:
27 May 2018, 23:41
Revs84 wrote:

Hmmm funny that I didn't hear the word 'Honda' in any of those radio messages.

Hulk and Gasly were relevant to Alonso's race before he retired, hence the messages.

It seems like its not mclaren who keep talking about honda. It's you people who cannot stop bringing up mclaren and Alonso in the Toro Rosso thread

I really genuinely feel sorry for some of you sad folk sometimes
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

GhostF1
GhostF1

Alonso Fan wrote:
28 May 2018, 01:31
GhostF1 wrote:
27 May 2018, 23:41
Revs84 wrote:

Hmmm funny that I didn't hear the word 'Honda' in any of those radio messages.

Hulk and Gasly were relevant to Alonso's race before he retired, hence the messages.

It seems like its not mclaren who keep talking about honda. It's you people who cannot stop bringing up mclaren and Alonso in the Toro Rosso thread

I really genuinely feel sorry for some of you sad folk sometimes
Gasly was hardly his priority lol. Toro Rosso have been brought up by Alonso on several occasions over radio, for random information not integral to his race.
Don't flame anyone for pattern recognition here...
I find the only people who get annoyed with it being spoken about or brought up are people with usernames such as yourself or people with a innate hatred for Honda.

Anyway.

Singabule
Singabule

At the end we will see sun rise in RB.. Worth the pain as honda fan. Hell, 70% of STR fan is honda fan anyway, sorry OOT

Thunder

Can we focus on Toro Tosso in this Thread please? Stop provoking other People.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Verstappen to Toro Rosso – I wish.

Horner of Red Bull was asked about what happens to Verstappen now that he has had driver errors at every race this season. Horner replied that there will have to be changes. Clearly he meant changes in Verstappen’s approach & execution in the car. But I would really like it to be a change in team. Demote him to Toro Rosso to replace Hartley. Trouble is I don’t know who would go to Red Bull – possibly the reserve drive (who is he?).

Hartley was a bit unlucky in qualifying having been blocked & was taken out of the race because of a brake failure in the Sauber. However to have a driver of Verstappen’s speed in Toro Rosso would be fantastic. Alonso vs Verstappen like that would really show the car’s and engine’s differences.

restless
restless

Gasly to RedBull, Max to TR ...

Kvyat was demoted to TR and burned away for much less .... but nationality&connections are king in F1

GhostF1
GhostF1

restless wrote:
28 May 2018, 10:36
Gasly to RedBull, Max to TR ...

Kvyat was demoted to TR and burned away for much less .... but nationality&connections are king in F1
I can't imagine Red Bull thinking of demoting Max. Especially with Daniel being a little uncertain. They'd hardly want a driver overhaul.
I think Gasly will do another spell at TR in 2019. Hartley's form is trending upwards. I think he'll stay though. I can't imagine he will be chucked out for the likes of Wehrlein or similar. There are other qualities other than just on track performance that a team would be looking for and I bet Hartley has spades of those.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

The earliest reports I came across said upgrade expected in June, in Canada or France, so either race would still be in their planned schedule. Canada would be ideal, it's a power track, so if you have more power by Canada, no reason not to introduce. I only wonder if the earlier engine changes will affect it being Canada, maybe they'll push to France? Come to think of it, I think France is a power track as well, though there's been a few changes.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.