Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hemichromis
hemichromis

Re: Honda Power Unit

Andrea Dappiano, the project manager for hybrid systems at Magneti Marelli quoted as saying:

"The aim is to keep the gas aloof from the turbine, because it works as a filter for high frequencies,
That will result in higher frequency and in more noise."

Andres125sx

More noise....

Maybe FIA should try this

I´d prefer if they spend their time trying to find solutions to the real problems, like crappy tires wich force drivers to drive carefully instead of driving to the limits as it should be, or way too expensive tickets and TV prices wich means audience go down season by season, but if they think noise is one of their main problems... #-o

hemichromis
hemichromis

That is the best thing i've seen for ages!!

PlatinumZealot

You got me lol :lol: :lol:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

bauc

Best video in ages!!! thank you!!! :mrgreen: =D> :mrgreen: =D>
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

Now THATS what up votes are for!! Bravo.

outer_bongolia

Andres125sx wrote: I´d prefer if they spend their time trying to find solutions to the real problems, like crappy tires wich force drivers to drive carefully instead of driving to the limits as it should be, or way too expensive tickets and TV prices wich means audience go down season by season, but if they think noise is one of their main problems... #-o
I very much agree with you.

But, going off the main topic of Honda PU for a sec, there are a lot of terrible decisions that FIA made: Take the pitlane speed limit for ex. The tire change takes less than 3 seconds, but you have to cruise in the pit lane for 20 seconds. You cannot justify putting on new tires every 10 laps with that amount of time loss. If the time loss is reduced by only 25% (5sec - increasing the pit lane speed to 100km/h from 80), we would see a lot more aggressive driving...
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

turbof1

outer_bongolia wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: I´d prefer if they spend their time trying to find solutions to the real problems, like crappy tires wich force drivers to drive carefully instead of driving to the limits as it should be, or way too expensive tickets and TV prices wich means audience go down season by season, but if they think noise is one of their main problems... #-o

But, going off the main topic of Honda PU for a sec, there are a lot of terrible decisions that FIA made: Take the pitlane speed limit for ex. The tire change takes less than 3 seconds, but you have to cruise in the pit lane for 20 seconds. You cannot justify putting on new tires every 10 laps with that amount of time loss. If the time loss is reduced by only 25% (5sec - increasing the pit lane speed to 100km/h from 80), we would see a lot more aggressive driving...
Well, the issue is that you are dealing with safety. That speed limit is there to make sure the driver does not have to pick off gutts, bones and other human shredded pieces on their front wing.

I know that a 20km/h only increase sounds little, but it can make a big difference between bruises, mutilations and life/death.
#AeroFrodo

aterren
aterren

turbof1 wrote: Well, the issue is that you are dealing with safety.
60kph would be even safer and 40kph safer yet.

I think the greatest risk is the front jack man. Using on-board jacks would eliminate that risk regardless of speed.

FW17

Reminded me of this

godlameroso

aterren wrote:
turbof1 wrote: Well, the issue is that you are dealing with safety.
60kph would be even safer and 40kph safer yet.

I think the greatest risk is the front jack man. Using on-board jacks would eliminate that risk regardless of speed.
Someone still has to hook up an airline for pneumatic jacks. Getting run over is a risk you're willing to take, it's part of the job. Of course we should do everything to ensure safety, but let's not kid ourselves, part of the appeal of the sport is the danger.
Saishū kōnā

countersteer
countersteer

godlameroso wrote:Someone still has to hook up an airline for pneumatic jacks.
True... But Indycar mandated the airjack receptacle to be at the rear of the car specifically to eliminate/reduce risk to the crew. Prior to this, the receptacle was in the middle of the car. The risk was from being hit by the rear tire when the wand was removed and the car left the pit box.

Facts Only
Facts Only

Anyone who thinks that pit lane speed limits should be increased has never worked in a pit lane during the heat of a race. It's a bit bloody mental and damn dangerous.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

godlameroso

Oh I've seen what the odd flying wheel barreling down the pits can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvG1j8ruxPM

And no, I couldn't find a more obnoxious video.
Saishū kōnā

wuzak
wuzak

outer_bongolia wrote:

At some tracks the limit is 60km/h - Monaco, for example.

Also, at some tracks the tyre degradation is low and therefore new tyres will not make up time for extra pit stops. Monza is a prime example.

While other tracks eat tyres and staying on track will lose more time than could be gained by pitting for fresh tyres.