2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SilviuAgo

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

If we consider Lando's declarations I agree. According to him, all are faster than us :))) Is his usual style to play down any chances in quali or race. Back in my country we have a word: "don't make illusions not to have disillusion". This is Lando :)
Last edited by SilviuAgo on 22 Mar 2024, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ben1980
Ben1980

I think Aston under Alonso have been quicker over one lap. Just not in the race.

SilviuAgo

An opinion from Kevin Hermann (@KevinH_F1) about Long runs from FP2 #AustralianGP

-Ferrari fastest despite low engine mode (although according to Helmut Marko Ferrari used high engine mode)
-McLaren very consistent and fast
-Only 4 laps from Verstappen, which makes RBR hard to judge
-Mercedes with disappointing pace
-Teams saved hard tires for the race

mwillems

Understandable to be dissapointed by Landos remarks, but best to hold off till tomorrow.

What is apparent is that there a couple of corners where we lose big time.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

I agree with Lando, actually. The race pace is being flattered by a high engine mode compared to RB, Ferrari and Aston. And the one lap pace didn't look good. Not sure what happened cause they looked better on mediums.
But we'll see if they figure something out for tomorrow, hopefully.

michl420
michl420

Surprised by the small rear wing. I guess they try it with more focus on top speed for once.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 15:16
Good choice to use the Jeddah wing here, Bahrain spec looked too big even for Bahrain. They don't lose a lot of time on straights v RB and Ferrari, practically non of it, in Q trim. In race pace they are basically the quickest on straights bar Mercedes, but I think Mercedes used higher PU mode in FP2 (or at least Russell).
This may be true, judging by the speeds on the straight sections, but there are losses in turns 3 and 13. In the first practice, Norris was 0.17 behind Tsunoda's time in the slow sections. And most importantly, these are only losses on one fast lap. On the race course things can be even worse. It is still unclear how tire granulation will affect it.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 23 Mar 2024, 04:03, edited 2 times in total.

CjC
CjC

Dafnalina wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 16:05
I agree with Lando, actually. The race pace is being flattered by a high engine mode compared to RB, Ferrari and Aston. And the one lap pace didn't look good. Not sure what happened cause they looked better on mediums.
But we'll see if they figure something out for tomorrow, hopefully.
What have you seen which might suggest a higher engine mode?
Just a fan's point of view

MTudor
MTudor

SilviuAgo wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 15:22
Looking at Williams decision to give Sargeant "car" to Albon, due to unfixable chassis, I was wondering if this is something related to "smaller teams" (and I have a pain in the heart saying this about Williams but '90s are so far away in the past) or this can happen also to McLaren, Ferrari or RB? If a chassis is not fixable, you have to race with only one car?

Urmareste Motorsport cast pe youtube,cel mai bun podcast de F1,de la noi.

MTudor
MTudor

SilviuAgo wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 15:41
If we consider Lando's declarations I agree. According to him, all are faster than us :))) Is his usual style to play down any chances in quali or race. Back in my country we have a word: "don't make illusions not to have disillusion". This is Lando :)

Un dinamovist il citeaza pe Nea Imi 🤣🤣🤣

billamend
billamend

Emag wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 10:13
Oscar has really stepped it up this year. Impressed with him. He was faster than Lando in Saudi, and almost neck and neck in Bahrain, which is a very high deg track and experience is invaluable.
He has been great, as expected, but he was NOT faster than Norris. Check the race pace numbers. Norris took a strategy risk that didn’t work, and that’s OK.

Xyz22
Xyz22

McLaren is struggling in the slow/medium speed corner compared to Ferrari which was previously highlighted by Stella, like the last corner in Saudi.

On the other hand is super strong in high speed.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

SilviuAgo wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 15:41
I'd take anything Lando says on a Friday with a grain of salt. He's giving us the worst case scenario

Emag
Emag

billamend wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 19:27
Emag wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 10:13
Oscar has really stepped it up this year. Impressed with him. He was faster than Lando in Saudi, and almost neck and neck in Bahrain, which is a very high deg track and experience is invaluable.
He has been great, as expected, but he was NOT faster than Norris. Check the race pace numbers. Norris took a strategy risk that didn’t work, and that’s OK.
It is because of that strategy that the numbers show Lando as the quicker driver. It is the same reason why Lewis was also quicker than George in absolute numbers. The last stint on the softs skews the data in their favor but that doesn't tell you the full picture because for that average laptime, they gave up a "free" pitstop under the safety car.

And of course, Oscar's average laptime was also hurt a lot by spending a significant portion of his second stint behind Lewis due to McLaren's horrid straight line speed.

I always like to call things for what they are and I don't think people should "cherry-pick" data to fit certain narratives. In this case, taking the mean race pace for face value does not show the full picture at all because of the difference in strategies.

Lando is an amazing driver, and until proven otherwise, he will be the benchmark at McLaren. However, he was the slower driver at Saudi. And to be honest, it is good news for McLaren that the driver battle is not so extremely one sided as it has been for the last couple of years.

mwillems

Xyz22 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 19:37
McLaren is struggling in the slow/medium speed corner compared to Ferrari which was previously highlighted by Stella, like the last corner in Saudi.

On the other hand is super strong in high speed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJSYonVXwAI ... name=large
If you pick the two fastest laps of each, it is a very different picture. I'm not sure your comparison represents a realistic comparison between Mclaren and Ferrari as I highly doubt we are that much faster than them in high speeds and that our race pace deviates so significantly from one lap pace.

Last edited by mwillems on 22 Mar 2024, 22:09, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit