2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wowgr8
wowgr8

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I didn't say Ferrari were pushing though, just that testing doesn't tell us anything about engine performance. Only in qualifying and the race will we know how good the PU is

sunny1304r
sunny1304r

dialtone
dialtone

I find the idea that RedBull and Merc will bring a brand new car in the next test laughable. It's extremely expensive to do the carbon moulds to just make parts for just 3 days of testing, there's a budget cap, and their parts were already not simple, everyone thought Merc's floor was beautiful and their packaging immaculate, and RedBull kept their car secret until they got on track, and both looked developed. And the prevailing thought now is that after they went to all this length to either keep a car secret or how much they developed the floor and packaging already, is they will bring an entirely new car?

And that after all of this Ferrari is somehow on the back foot because they don't have to spend millions of dollars to redo a car after one test? Everything is possible but the situation is not the same as in 2019 at all.

Sevach
Sevach

So they are gonna wait the first couple of races to see what direction to take in terms of floor detailing, strakes design...
It's a smart move money wise if somewhat disappointing in terms of championship aspirations.

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Sevach wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 20:56
So they are gonna wait the first couple of races to see what direction to take in terms of floor detailing, strakes design...
It's a smart move money wise if somewhat disappointing in terms of championship aspirations.
Yeah I think test the tweaks in Bahrain and then bring updates for the actual race

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

dialtone wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 19:41
I find the idea that RedBull and Merc will bring a brand new car in the next test laughable. It's extremely expensive to do the carbon moulds to just make parts for just 3 days of testing, there's a budget cap, and their parts were already not simple, everyone thought Merc's floor was beautiful and their packaging immaculate, and RedBull kept their car secret until they got on track, and both looked developed. And the prevailing thought now is that after they went to all this length to either keep a car secret or how much they developed the floor and packaging already, is they will bring an entirely new car?

And that after all of this Ferrari is somehow on the back foot because they don't have to spend millions of dollars to redo a car after one test? Everything is possible but the situation is not the same as in 2019 at all.
I agree I think this conflation between the others bringing updates and Ferrari not, with ‘they’re on the back foot’ or ‘championship aspirations’ is silly. This is obviously a plan being executed, one that has likely been in place for many months.

To think Ferrari has no developments to bring is absolutely absurd. They are developing, just as the others are. But Ferrari will bring developments based on 6 days of testing to understand their platform, where others (if the rumours are true) will be basing any future developments on 3 days of testing.

It’s all a mixture of bravado from teams, trying to intimidate the competition, and a lack of understanding from fans thinking ‘oh no the absolute technical masterpieces of redbull and Mercedes’ are bringing updates and Ferrari are not so they are inferior’.

I’m excited to see where everything shakes out in Bahrain. Reports now that Ferrari is able to run higher ride height and softer springs, lending to good driveability…

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It would be funny if Ferrari show up with half a new car to Bahrain anyway. Why not bluff?

miket
miket

Ok, so Ferrari spent the better of a year developing the best they can, then run it for 3 days test - they say they happy with things at the moment - and most people is unhappy that they don't chuck it away and build a new car for the next test :wtf:

Give them the benefit, they have all the data, so they in the best position to decide, if there were major issues, they would bring updates.

I am quite sure with the data they have they working hard on the floor at the moment - so we might not see the upgrades, does not mean they are not there.
Remember this is a cat an mouse game, distract the competition with one thing while busy with something else.
Toto is the master of that - shifting focus else where.

I'll reserve my judgement till after the first couple of races.

SSScoffee
SSScoffee

JPBD1990 wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 04:47
dialtone wrote:

I agree I think this conflation between the others bringing updates and Ferrari not, with ‘they’re on the back foot’ or ‘championship aspirations’ is silly. This is obviously a plan being executed, one that has likely been in place for many months.

To think Ferrari has no developments to bring is absolutely absurd. They are developing, just as the others are. But Ferrari will bring developments based on 6 days of testing to understand their platform, where others (if the rumours are true) will be basing any future developments on 3 days of testing.

It’s all a mixture of bravado from teams, trying to intimidate the competition, and a lack of understanding from fans thinking ‘oh no the absolute technical masterpieces of redbull and Mercedes’ are bringing updates and Ferrari are not so they are inferior’.

I’m excited to see where everything shakes out in Bahrain. Reports now that Ferrari is able to run higher ride height and softer springs, lending to good driveability…

Hasn't the Ferrari running a super stiff suspension setup?

Andi76
Andi76

jumpingfish wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 08:53
Do Ferrari have ultra modern wind tunnel right now? I see Mclaren build it for 2023, but what about Ferrari?
McLaren is building a new windtunnel to correct a mistake made in the early 00's. While all the other teams(Ferrari in 97, Benetton/Renault in 1998, Williams and Sauber in 2002/2003 BAR/Merc in 2003 i think)had built Windtunnels which could run 66% or at least 50% modells, while McLarens windtunnel was only a 40% windtunnel. So McLaren has a disadvantage here. Thats why they will build a new windtunnel. For Ferrari - for years they blamed the windtunnel. Windtunnels get blamed when a team does badly....thats the easy way. Ferrari has changed their windtunnel from slotted to adaptive walls. Thats the best sort of windtunnel you can have in F1 today. F1 windtunnels are restricted to 50 m/s. So ultra modern is about the tools only. And the tools can be updated easily. You do not need a new tunnel. If you have a 66% windtunnel with 15 square metres working section and adaptive walls and 50 m/s, you have the best configuration in F1. Install the newest, "ultra-modern"-systems and you have the best windtunnel possible in F1. Ferrari has this since several years,.most of this since 1997. What is very important for windtunnel testing is the model technology. Ferrari made a big step in that regard recently and updated their technology regarding the model. They also changed from using 50% models to 66% models.

Andi76
Andi76

SSScoffee wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 14:50
JPBD1990 wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 04:47
dialtone wrote:

Hasn't the Ferrari running a super stiff suspension setup?
They did. There started with an extremely stiff suspension setup. But maybe they started super-stiff and tried to get softer. In relation to the porpoising problem this would make a lot of sense. I think Ferrari knew about the porpoising problem and that a stiff suspension will help. Then they tried to get softer.

LM10
LM10

JPower wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 16:42
LM10 wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 15:04
I totally agree with you guys.

I think Ferrari powered teams were on qualifying mode already and had the Monza spec rear wing mounted altogether in the testing - to compensate for the massive lack of power they have.

Thinking of Bahrain I’m filled with horror and expecting horrible things coming towards Ferrari!
:lol:

I haven't seen the car run in anger but I already know everyone was sandbagging but Ferrari. I could hear "Good warmup on the brakes. Track is clear. Mode PUSH" from my secret stream. We're running spoon wings around one of the highest downforce tracks on the calendar! We're already behind! Binotto Out!
Ferrari was definitely the only team not sandbagging from my observations. As a Ferrari fan I was worried when I saw Leclerc and Sainz exhausted and full of sweat when they stepped out of the car. Clearly doing glory runs to make it look like Binotto is the right person leading the team.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

LM10 wrote:
03 Mar 2022, 20:54
JPower wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 16:42
LM10 wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 15:04
I totally agree with you guys.

I think Ferrari powered teams were on qualifying mode already and had the Monza spec rear wing mounted altogether in the testing - to compensate for the massive lack of power they have.

Thinking of Bahrain I’m filled with horror and expecting horrible things coming towards Ferrari!
:lol:

I haven't seen the car run in anger but I already know everyone was sandbagging but Ferrari. I could hear "Good warmup on the brakes. Track is clear. Mode PUSH" from my secret stream. We're running spoon wings around one of the highest downforce tracks on the calendar! We're already behind! Binotto Out!
Ferrari was definitely the only team not sandbagging from my observations. As a Ferrari fan I was worried when I saw Leclerc and Sainz exhausted and full of sweat when they stepped out of the car. Clearly doing glory runs to make it look like Binotto is the right person leading the team.
Lol guys while I love this, we alll know many people on this forum will be having nightmares until the first race now based solely on your comments. Behave!

FYI also, sarcasm tends not to translate too well.

silver
silver

F1 | Ferrari: the Barcelona engine is back and life is extended at the counter

The Scuderia successfully passed three days of testing in Montmelò with the power unit 066/7: the same unit is mounted in Bahrain, while work on the test bench continues in Maranello to improve reliability, which must reach 6,000 kilometers.

Ferrari is working on the test bench to bring the 066/7 power unit to a life of almost 6,000 kilometers. The Cavallino team is committed to hard work in search of the reliability that is still missing to think of facing the 2022 season with only three engines, given that the calendar offers 22 world championship events and each unit will theoretically have to perform 7 GPs.

In the tests in Bahrain that will start tomorrow, the Scuderia will bring the same engine that was used without problems in the three days of testing in Barcelona where it passed the 2,000 kilometers brilliantly.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... o/8834281/

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Well if Mercedes bring a car without sidepods then it won't really matter what Ferrari or others bring to Bahrain. Let's wait and see.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent