Sauber C30 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
nacho
nacho

Re: Sauber C30 Ferrari

No one else running with that little wing above the crash structure.

bhall
bhall

zgred wrote:Image
That also happened at the last test. The commentary on SPEED suggested that too much pressure caused the blowout.

What kind of pressure builds in that area?

segedunum
segedunum

Yer, I was just going to say that this happened at the last test and I remember a picture of the Sauber with it's engine cover missing. I thought that might have been intentional but it obviously wasn't.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I suppose that if that happened during a race it would result in a DNF? Or would it be fixed within a lap or two, should it not be fit for racing?

As for the pressure buildup, I'm thinking that the gaps in the bodywork are lifting up the engine cover, leading to a complete rip-off of that section at high speed.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

nacho
nacho

I am not sure if that is dangerous for the Sauber drivers but it certainly is for other drivers.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Either as mx_tifosi was explaining or they obviously have good flow over the pods creating a huge pressure differential.

Definitely if it reoccurs it will become and issue of safety whether they should race, which is a shame because this car seems properly quick, though i still feel the top order are yet to show their hand
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Tim.Wright

zgred wrote:Image
You see that hole?? Just above the "d" in disensa on the side pod!? Must be the exhaust exit! Or maybe an inlet to feed the blown diffuser.

tim
Not the engineer at Force India

bot6
bot6

Yep, helluva sidepod opening. But it's illegal isn't it? As it's more than 350mm in cross section?

:mrgreen:

They're going to end up racing with the area covered in duck tape...
Actually they should just build an engine cover out of duck tape. Ain't nothing stronger than duck tape!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ringo

their cooling exhaust hole around the back is too small, so a lot of back pressure built up inside the side pod.
They probably need to strengthen their sidepods, they must be desperately trying to keep weight down.

Some of those mercedes gills should relieve the situation a bit.

Notice the layout of the radiator.
It seems the exhaust gasses have to barell across the side pod surfaces and turn up towards to cooling exit.
A conventional layout would not have put so much pressure on the sidepod inner surface.
For Sure!!

shelly
shelly

Their radiator layout is as unconventional as MC's and Mercedes. Very interesting
twitter: @armchair_aero

HampusA

If it is pressure that caused this, and exuse me since it might be a rather dumb question but has it "exploded" or "imploded" ?
The truth will come out...

nacho
nacho

A very impressing race by this car, Perez doing a one stopper, I don't think anyone saw that coming.

vinuneuro
vinuneuro

After testing last year, Bridgestone said Sauber was kindest to its tires by some margin. Looks like however they differentiate their suspension design from the rest is paying off now, and Perez's driving must be compounding it.

HampusA

They are DQ:d now due to some broken regulations..
The truth will come out...