Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

I have heard here and there that Alonso isn't a particularly good development driver, maybe this will actually help McLaren.
Saishū kōnā

mikeerfol

godlameroso wrote:I have heard here and there that Alonso isn't a particularly good development driver, maybe this will actually help McLaren.
I agree, I think he's a bit like Stoner, he'll go fast with anything :lol:

Vasconia

Javert wrote:Next test if Alonso can't run we'll have 4 days for Button, or will Magnussen get some time?
4 days in a row is too much, I think Kevin will run at least one day, its the most logic opcion and it will give more information to the team.

Richard
Richard

It would also save face by showing Kevin's role is important.

bauc

McLaren Formula 1 team to use own parts to help Honda MGU-K problem - Via Autosport.com

Here's the link http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117811
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Goran2812
Goran2812

How does that thing even look? The seal... Any pics of it and what the problem is?
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Thunder

Fernando has been released from Hospital, but will sit out this weeks tests. KMag will jump in for him.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside- ... do-alonso/

The right decision imho.

Edit:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Vasconia

Richard wrote:It would also save face by showing Kevin's role is important.
Well, we all know that it isnt so important but I am happy to see that he will have the chance of driving again.

Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

So Peter Prodromou didn't leave RB until March or April last year, and he wasn't able to alert Honda that this was a problem even though "other manufacturers faced the same problem last year"?

trinidefender
trinidefender

Maynard G. Krebs wrote:So Peter Prodromou didn't leave RB until March or April last year, and he wasn't able to alert Honda that this was a problem even though "other manufacturers faced the same problem last year"?
PP is an aerodynamicist. He wouldn't have had anything to do with things like MGU seals.

dren

Richard wrote:It would also save face by showing Kevin's role is important.
I think Ron will point and laugh at him.
Honda!

Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

trinidefender wrote:
Maynard G. Krebs wrote:So Peter Prodromou didn't leave RB until March or April last year, and he wasn't able to alert Honda that this was a problem even though "other manufacturers faced the same problem last year"?
PP is an aerodynamicist. He wouldn't have had anything to do with things like MGU seals.
I have no reason to bash PP, but to believe that he didn't know anything about a major flaw in the PU you would have to believe that it didn't come up in any meetings he was in, no emails, no coffee pot chatter? I am just surprised that it is being said that this was a known problem last year for multiple teams and yet Honda didn't get a handle on it? PP probably isn't even the only engineer poached from other teams by McHonda. I guess it makes me wonder about the validity of reports that this was a problem for multiple teams last year.

mrluke
mrluke

godlameroso wrote:I have heard here and there that Alonso isn't a particularly good development driver, maybe this will actually help McLaren.
All the evidence from the last few seasons suggests Button isn't a great development driver either.

kooleracer
kooleracer

mrluke wrote:
All the evidence from the last few seasons suggests Button isn't a great development driver either.
The term development driver or the thought that drivers can develop modern day F1 cars is totally outdated. In the old days when you could test during the season. The drivers input was vital because he could really go through all the different development parts and give his opinion. Also the cars nowadays are so complicated its hard for the drivers the differentiate between different parts because you talking about such small margins. Drivers only give their opinion but ultimately the engineers take the decision on how to proceed with upgrades. Or do you think that Vettel has developed the RB's, I would put my money on Newey and his group of engineers. The only input Vettel would have had are general things like, balance, under steer or over steer, or lack or front or rear grip. But any driver is capable of that, of course some drivers like Button,Vettel and Raikonnen need the car to be absolutely perfect. While driver like Hamilton, Alonso and Ricciardo can hustle a car around so their feedback might be different.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Facts Only
Facts Only

turbof1 wrote:Nice stuff Facts Only, thanks for the insight. It seems that those rules were merely a scare crow rather then something that really was a trade-off between reliability and keeping secrets indoor.
I thinks it's just a get out clause from the V8 days so that the manufacturers could carry on developing the engines making them cheaper and more reliable without actually developing the engines.

It's a stupid system but it does actually seem to work, the reports are always rubbish but the other teams do keep an eye on them to make sure nobody is abusing the system.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver