2021 Turkish Grand Prix - Istanbul Park, Oct 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2021 Turkish Grand Prix - Istanbul Park, Oct 08 - 10

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 00:51
The other stupidity is a driver that is starting back of the grid because of penalties being allowed to run in qualifying. Sainz is starting at the back because of the total PU penalty. But he ran in qualifying and knocked Ricciardo out. That's just ridiculous. Why allow him to run when his runs can't change anything about his starting position? If he was just taking a 10 place penalty then it makes sense to run, but if you're automatically at the back, all that happens is another driver's session is ruined. Stupid rule.
Strongly disagree. Rules are rules, nothing to prevent Ferrari from qualifying Sainz to their advantage. =D>

Why should an entrant with a back-of-grid penalty be prevented from seeking competitive advantage over their rivals (McLaren) and gaining air time for their sponsors!?

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 00:17
JordanMugen wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 23:14
Pole is the driver who starts from pole. /pedant ;)
Pole is the driver that qualified on pole.
Incorrect. ;)

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ringo wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 02:05
max_speed wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 16:56
Barring any accidents. Hamilton will have to pass perez and alonso. Any given day perez is more difficult to pass than Bottas and Alonso is in legends league ( on same tyre age and he is also looking handy), if verstappen manage to pass bottas at start, game over for merc.
Hamilton passed Alonso in Russia didnt he?
He is even faster here.
it's just a orange-glasses comment. Hamilton has a completely fresh race engine from now on, he can open full power on sunday, get some Merc strategy with that, and finish P1 with Valterri P2 and Max P3 - RBR is not having a good weekend at all and Hamilton set his pole lap fully loaded and even with a bit of lift in T8 - there was much to improve, but he drove conservative.

Hamilton looking to extend his championship lead with 10 points, perhaps 11 over Max if he grabs DHL fastest lap, which will get him a 13-point lead, with then 6 races still to go. He can comfortably finish P2 in Mexico and Brazil - supposedly 'RBR tracks' and all he has to do is grab 2 fastest laps in those races and they're still going to be equal on points.

Mercedes has been strong in both COTA and Abu Dhabi, only Qatar and Jeddah are big question marks.

Back to Turkey - people think that just because Alonso was able to fend off Hamilton a couple of races back, he can do that every GP. Nah, Alonso will be driving a totally different stage of race compared to those a few back, he will not be in any position to fight off or defend him at all, and instead will rather focus on taking on Gasly, and perhaps with a bit of luck and strategy, finish P4.

If instead mayhem occurs between Max and Bottas or Hamilton, he could pick his precious fruits and finish on the podium.

Ferrari will be tougher than before after getting an improved engine, so beating Leclerc is not a given at all.
Beating Gasly will be more likely.

I would be inclined to feel the result without incidents will be:

P1 - Hamilton (thanks to the engine and strategy) (including fastest lap)
P2 - Bottas
P3 - Verstappen
P4 - Leclerc or Alonso
P6 - Perez
P7 - Norris
P8 - Gasly
P9 - Vettel
P10 - Stroll

Finish result for WDC : 13 point lead from verstappen (272.5 points vs 259.5 points)

What's going to be important for Hamilton still is to get more wins under his belt, as if they finish equal on points, Verstappen will beat him on amount of wins.

And/Or, make sure that when there is no way to beat RedBull at a certain race, that they grab fastest lap points.
If hamilton can get all fastest lap points in the 6 gp's after Turkey, then that could be the deciding factor for the WDC.

Either way, this race is going to be crucial for Hamilton.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

max_speed
max_speed

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 02:53
ringo wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 02:05
max_speed wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 16:56
Barring any accidents. Hamilton will have to pass perez and alonso. Any given day perez is more difficult to pass than Bottas and Alonso is in legends league ( on same tyre age and he is also looking handy), if verstappen manage to pass bottas at start, game over for merc.
Hamilton passed Alonso in Russia didnt he?
He is even faster here.
it's just a orange-glasses comment. Hamilton has a completely fresh race engine from now on, he can open full power on sunday, get some Merc strategy with that, and finish P1 with Valterri P2 and Max P3 - RBR is not having a good weekend at all and Hamilton set his pole lap fully loaded and even with a bit of lift in T8 - there was much to improve, but he drove conservative.

Hamilton looking to extend his championship lead with 10 points, perhaps 11 over Max if he grabs DHL fastest lap, which will get him a 13-point lead, with then 6 races still to go. He can comfortably finish P2 in Mexico and Brazil - supposedly 'RBR tracks' and all he has to do is grab 2 fastest laps in those races and they're still going to be equal on points.

Mercedes has been strong in both COTA and Abu Dhabi, only Qatar and Jeddah are big question marks.

Back to Turkey - people think that just because Alonso was able to fend off Hamilton a couple of races back, he can do that every GP. Nah, Alonso will be driving a totally different stage of race compared to those a few back, he will not be in any position to fight off or defend him at all, and instead will rather focus on taking on Gasly, and perhaps with a bit of luck and strategy, finish P4.

If instead mayhem occurs between Max and Bottas or Hamilton, he could pick his precious fruits and finish on the podium.

Ferrari will be tougher than before after getting an improved engine, so beating Leclerc is not a given at all.
Beating Gasly will be more likely.

I would be inclined to feel the result without incidents will be:

P1 - Hamilton (thanks to the engine and strategy) (including fastest lap)
P2 - Bottas
P3 - Verstappen
P4 - Leclerc or Alonso
P6 - Perez
P7 - Norris
P8 - Gasly
P9 - Vettel
P10 - Stroll

Finish result for WDC : 13 point lead from verstappen (272.5 points vs 259.5 points)

What's going to be important for Hamilton still is to get more wins under his belt, as if they finish equal on points, Verstappen will beat him on amount of wins.

And/Or, make sure that when there is no way to beat RedBull at a certain race, that they grab fastest lap points.
If hamilton can get all fastest lap points in the 6 gp's after Turkey, then that could be the deciding factor for the WDC.

Either way, this race is going to be crucial for Hamilton.
There is another possibility that at start someone at back near hamilton goes extra hit and takes him out and cause PU damage as well ,if bottas can do that , i will not rule out same thing happening again on a green track after overnight rain. People around him will go with all in but he has to survive as he has lot to loose.

ringo

I would not give Hamilton a win already. He is starting from P11. The car is only 3 tenths quicker than redbull. A lot of stars have to align to give hamilton the win.
Max has a very good chance of blowing bottas away and racing off into the distance.
For Sure!!

zibby43
zibby43

ringo wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 03:08
I would not give Hamilton a win already. He is starting from P11. The car is only 3 tenths quicker than redbull. A lot of stars have to align to give hamilton the win.
Max has a very good chance of blowing bottas away and racing off into the distance.
With the extra fuel HAM was carrying in Q3 (reports were about 1-2 tenths worth of extra fuel), there’s an argument to be made that the gap could’ve been 4-5 tenths with nothing else changing but fuel load.

Max also stated that he doesn’t think they have the pace to win. If Verstappen did overcome the disadvantage of starting on the dirty side of the grid to pass Bottas, I actually think Merc has both the pace and straight line speed to come back at him.

ringo

The redbull will be better in the race and i suspect better on the tyres.
Another driver to watch is Leclerc. He can get ahead of Max at the start and be agressive.
This may yet be the best race of the season.
For Sure!!

Shrieker

yelistener wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 01:45
I think Lewis had a tiny lift in T8 which was not shown in app telemetry.
That little moment strikes me as a brief lift as well. Tho I must admit the incongruity between the telemetry and the sound got me thoroughly confused when I watched it.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

yelistener wrote:
Juzh wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 23:35
Here's one in much higher quality, no commentary and telemetry
https://streamable.com/kwaztb
I don't think that was a lift, just the engine bogging under the load of the corner imo.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 20:52
Silverstone onwards, Zandvoort aside, Mercedes has been much faster than Red Bull. I don't see how Hamilton doesn't win tomorrow.
It depends how long it takes to clear everyone other than Verstappen. If Hamilton is P3 after the 1st pit stops then I agree with you.

Otherwise, if Hamilton gets stuck, and Bottas actually performs for a change, Bot-Ver-Ham.

Seems like most of the forum thinks this track is Monaco, and they have fallen for the Mercedes propaganda (again). "So hard to pass, etc..."

Then Hamilton blitzes everyone and Toto be like "Much amaze, so much wow."

Tizz

ringo wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 04:23
The redbull will be better in the race and i suspect better on the tyres.
I don't think so. Mercedes seem to have found some structural speed. If it is like Windsor says that the new tires somehow make Mercs diffuser more effective than RB have to reconsider the design of their diffuser as well. That is not an easy fix. I do not see RB win in Brazil or Mexico either with the speed difference as it is.

Gillian
Gillian

Fulcrum wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 07:28
Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 20:52
Silverstone onwards, Zandvoort aside, Mercedes has been much faster than Red Bull. I don't see how Hamilton doesn't win tomorrow.
It depends how long it takes to clear everyone other than Verstappen. If Hamilton is P3 after the 1st pit stops then I agree with you.

Otherwise, if Hamilton gets stuck, and Bottas actually performs for a change, Bot-Ver-Ham.

Seems like most of the forum thinks this track is Monaco, and they have fallen for the Mercedes propaganda (again). "So hard to pass, etc..."

Then Hamilton blitzes everyone and Toto be like "Much amaze, so much wow."
Exactly! Overtaking won't be an issue at all, especially with the Merc pace and fresh ICE this weekend. Hamilton will grab a podium for sure.

Juzh

yelistener wrote:
Juzh wrote:
I dont think so. T8 is so easy now its no point in lifting even only 1%.

bauc

What is the weather forecast for today?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Tizz

Juzh wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 10:15
yelistener wrote:
Juzh wrote:
I dont think so. T8 is so easy now its no point in lifting even only 1%.
https://i.imgur.com/XU6syIa.png
The resolution in the graph is rather poor so you probably wouldn't see a lift but Max said T8 is easy flat.

Michelangelo
Michelangelo

bauc wrote:
10 Oct 2021, 10:25
What is the weather forecast for today?
It is all grey with tiny bits of rain. Track is surely inters for now. I don’t think it will be all dry for the race start.