RB20 speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: RB20 speculation

Ashwinv16 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 16:56
This is the worst possible scenario for RB. Not only is this leaked, the floor vortex can be easily studied here. LOL
We've already seen Ferrari and AMR in detail, it's not like this wasn't going to be shown in the next few days anyways. Not sure a rain vortex says too much :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cs98 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 16:36
As has been mentioned, sidepod inlet has been hiked up to the moon. It seems like ByBIt graphic and red stripe has to be adjusted.

Stu

Cs98 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 14:08
Blackout wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 14:05
These inlets are no ram air intakes anymore, now they look like air sucking devices, and actually they remind me of some rear brake intakes RB used in the past
My aero knowledge is limited, but it feels like by doing it that way you can divert the maximum amount of air possible to the undercut and then suck your intake air from higher up in the airstream.
Could that be the reasoning behind the big outlet cannons? Positioned to direct flow into the beam-wing area (as with W14) would this interaction create enough suction for the cooling?
I appreciate that the curve on the big lower lip is working with Coanda.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Cs98
Cs98

Stu wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 17:35
Cs98 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 14:08
Blackout wrote:
These inlets are no ram air intakes anymore, now they look like air sucking devices, and actually they remind me of some rear brake intakes RB used in the past
My aero knowledge is limited, but it feels like by doing it that way you can divert the maximum amount of air possible to the undercut and then suck your intake air from higher up in the airstream.
Could that be the reasoning behind the big outlet cannons? Positioned to direct flow into the beam-wing area (as with W14) would this interaction create enough suction for the cooling?
I appreciate that the curve on the big lower lip is working with Coanda.
Do you mean that shooting air immediately onto the beam wing would create some kind of local low pressure zone in that area which would suck out more air from the outlet canon? Idk, my knowledge on aero is all intuition and little education. Perhaps that is the case. Mostly I think the outlet canons/ridges on the engine cover are about controlling the airflow in that region and moving some cooling into that area to slim down more important areas around the undercut of the floor and waterslide area.

As far as the sidepod inlet my intuition would be this. By raising the lower lip you maximise airflow to the undercut. On the top side you obviously suck air in with Coanda as you said. But as you suck air down with Coanda into the inlet you also start pulling layers of air above that downwards right into the waterslide area. This air might be cleaner as it hasn't had to travel along the top side of the sidepod, so you can minimise the build up of a boundary layer. This would give some local lift but might be beneficial overall if you get better airflow to the rear. Probably completely wrong but anyways, fun to think about.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sidepod inlet reminds me of a tea pot:

Blackout

Blackout wrote:
These intakes:
The opening is barely facing the direction of travel.
I guess the low pressure created by their underbody (+ the downwashy aspect of the airflow in that area?) + the vane above them help the sucking
Pic from F1i - Nicolas Carpentiers
Last edited by Blackout on 13 Feb 2024, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Ashwinv16 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 16:56
This is the worst possible scenario for RB. Not only is this leaked, the floor vortex can be easily studied here. LOL
Absolutely, I'm sure that the fact flick ups in the floor create upward vortices was completely unknown to all teams.

chrisc90

Tbh, that vortex off the floor is near enough perfect given how clean it looks (how the water is perfectly on a line)

venkyhere
venkyhere

Cassius wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 16:28
https://x.com/Tora49/status/1757401699235385350?s=20

Slightly better resolution. Nice vortex coming from the floor edge.

You can clearly see the different approach with the higher and more pronounced cannon outlet, similar to w14.
1. Cooling inlet underlip has become ridiculous now, going all the way upto chassis top. Massive, massive sidepod undercut. RB18 (rectangle) -> RB18 (thinner and wider rectange) -> RB19 (letterbox) RB19 (thinner letterbox) -> RB20 (invisible)

2. Engine cover shoulder looks like W14 Mercedes

3. Rear wing endplate bottom is extending backwards more. Could be a clue that the rear diffuser efficiency has been cranked up , which in turn could mean changes to the floor that is going to increase the downforce it can generate

4. I don't know whether it's an optical illusion, the front floor edge bargeboards look to be more 'forward extending towards the nose' than the RB19
Last edited by venkyhere on 13 Feb 2024, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Well sort of what I expected a lot less dramatic than hoped...

The AMR is a more exciting cat, but RB has been nailing the understated evolution in being devastatingly effective.

I have full confidence it's dominant again. Given ferrari (and probably mercedes) effectively try to compete with the RB20 in an RB18 clone

Cs98
Cs98

Henk_v wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 20:53

The AMR is a more exciting cat, but RB has been nailing the understated evolution in being devastatingly effective.

I have full confidence it's dominant again. Given ferrari (and probably mercedes) effectively try to compete with the RB20 in an RB18 clone
Who names their cat AMR and RB? And why is RB the cat so "devastatingly effective"? Did they not cut his claws or something?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cs98 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 21:03
Henk_v wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 20:53

Who names their cat AMR and RB? And why is RB the cat so "devastatingly effective"? Did they not cut his claws or something?
typo for "car" I think... :lol:

Predator

organic

Venturiation
Venturiation

Is that a midwing and overbite like the W14?
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... o_of_rb20/