Force India VJM02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Will the VJM02 improve the teams constructors standings compared to '08?

Poll ended at 15 Mar 2009, 22:22

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 88

scarbs
scarbs

Re: Force India VJM02

Oops missed the link, thats the new front wing from Silverstone

bjpower
bjpower

did they run it a silverstone?
or just test it

zgred

ISLAMATRON

diffusers gone wild!!!!

timbo
timbo

ISLAMATRON wrote:diffusers gone wild!!!!
You ain't seen next year cars.
That's if DDD loophole won't be closed

ISLAMATRON

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:diffusers gone wild!!!!
You ain't seen next year cars.
That's if DDD loophole won't be closed
They really need to because it is obviously getting out of hand

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:While the angle of incidence is the primary variable for stalling, airspeed does have an influence as higher speed flow is more likely to remain laminar.
Higher speed flow is more likely to have a turb B.L which will result in less seperation.

Spencifer_Murphy wrote: I recently performed some windtunnel tests on an aerofoil (NACA 23012) at university as part of a much larger investigation for a final year project.

When running the windtunnel at 8m/s the stalling angle of the aerofoil was 11degrees.

When running the same aerfoil at 28m/s the stalling angle was almost 16 degrees.
:shock:

I knew there would be some difference with speed (due to lam/turb BLs as I mentioned), but I thought it would be under a degree! Certainly nothing like that!!!

Edit: Out of interest, how did you measure the loss of lift? Pitot probes or by weight balance?

(I'm wondering is the "stall" actually a result of an unwinding of the starting vortex rather than seperation)

If you used pitot probes, was there any kind of relationship when the BL tripped to turbulent and the seperation point moving down the chord length?

Spencifer_Murphy

kilcoo316 wrote:Out of interest, how did you measure the loss of lift? Pitot probes or by weight balance?

(I'm wondering is the "stall" actually a result of an unwinding of the starting vortex rather than seperation)

If you used pitot probes, was there any kind of relationship when the BL tripped to turbulent and the seperation point moving down the chord length?
I used a weight balance to measure lift force as it turns out. I do believe the stall was indeed caused by flow separation as I used strings attached to the wing surface for flow visualisation (the tunnel used was closed circuit so we can't really use smoke vis - altho we did when Richard Hammond came round to film some footage for the TV series "Richard Hammonds Engineering Connections")
Anyway, the flo-vis seems to show separation.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Michiba
Michiba

zgred wrote:Image
looks like rocky balboa

PlatinumZealot

I get it.. :)

I think* the Force India is about on par with Ferrari right now. The drivers and strategist just need to get used to the car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

zgred

Saribro
Saribro

Someone surely pulled out the copy/paste tool :):

zgred

Saribro wrote:Someone surely pulled out the copy/paste tool :):
True, True, Saribro

zgred wrote:Image

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

If force india went to a lower nosecone posistion, i think it could futher improve the front end of that car. The wing already has a massive ammount of downforce on it, so the next thing for development is probably the nosecone.

Giblet
Giblet

I wonder about that..., most of the teams have been raising, flattening, and widening the nose. The only team not doing that is Brawn.

FI's main strength seems to be their lack of drag, as they always seem to be in the top 3-5 for speed traps, en when their laps are slow.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute