Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Schulteiss wrote:
Mestrades wrote:What is it that Mercedes wanted to hide? I don't understand nothing. This is a simple evolution of the W02 and rememeber, the W02 was overcomed for Force India and Toro Rosso. I expect another WDC WCC to RBR. Good job Newey.
Who said they wanted to hide anything? This is perfectly in line with what could be expected.
I think when you have Newey banging on about Merc "hiding" something, it sadly adds to expectations.
Mercedes have remained very realistic for this year, not expecting a title challenge etc. Lets just hope the ideas work this time...
More could have been done.
David Purley

Gerhardsa

Schulteiss wrote:
Mestrades wrote:What is it that Mercedes wanted to hide? I don't understand nothing. This is a simple evolution of the W02 and rememeber, the W02 was overcomed for Force India and Toro Rosso. I expect another WDC WCC to RBR. Good job Newey.
Who said they wanted to hide anything? This is perfectly in line with what could be expected.
Exactly...Merc didnt say they wanna hide something, everyone else assumed that.
They said they wanted more dev time, be it to see what other people bring to the 1st test, or just to fine tune the car as far as possible before running it.
Saying they wanna hide something was pure speculation by "pundits", Newey etc...

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
sterumbelow wrote:Image

A serious evolution of the W02.

Seems that the exhaust exit is located on the lower rear part of the sidepod (the black area towards the upper wishbone). Quite an ugly nose, from this pic it looks as plain as the Ferrari one or in fact the slope looks even bigger to me. Im looking forward to see this machine from above though.

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

I believe that the sidepots are VERY different from last year`s. Watch the area where "Petronas" begins, where the P is. There is some real change in reflections, as if the sidepot tightens there rapidly. Looks weird.

retpog55
retpog55

TimmTurbo wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
sterumbelow wrote:Image

A serious evolution of the W02.

Seems that the exhaust exit is located on the lower rear part of the sidepod (the black area towards the upper wishbone). Quite an ugly nose, from this pic it looks as plain as the Ferrari one or in fact the slope looks even bigger to me. Im looking forward to see this machine from above though.
yeah exhaust to me looks similar to Mclaren design, black strip situated about 1.5 cm left on the photo from the bottom of the P on the side pod.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Well I dont know about you all,I am slightly dissapointment. THE W02 chasis was not a winner & all those talks have set the expectations ridiculously high.This is an Evolution of the W02. I doubt how good good this would be.

I mean they sacrificed 5000 odd kms of running,33% of pre-testing. I wanted that BIG sacrifice to be worth it. I wonder if all the Hg talk was all whims & very little facts anyways.

Scarns failed too in a way. He said the Front Wing F-duct wont be there,prima facie it looks like W03 will have the Front Wing F-duct.

Morteza

This has a higher resolution than the previous pic.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Richard
Richard

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:I think when you have Newey banging on about Merc "hiding" something, it sadly adds to expectations.
He didn't bang on about anything. Look at the interview posted by Mr S a few pages ago and you'll see Newey was asked why a team would miss a test if the car was already finished. It was a hypothesis proposed by a journalist.

Newey's response was that IF that was the case it might be because they might want to hide something. He also said he didn't know if the car was ready or not, and didn't know if they were hiding something or not.

His response was common sense. Sadly common sense doesn't make a sensational story.
Newey wrote:"I was told by the German press, whether this is true or not, that the car was ready to run at the last test but they chose not to and why would that be?," he said before being inducted into the Motor Sport magazine Hall of Fame.

"I said I've got no idea but why you might choose to do that would be if you had some feature on your car which you think is a big benefit and which is relatively easily copied. I'm not saying that is the reason, but it's a possible reason.
viewtopic.php?p=309579#p309579

pocketmoon

Well I'm impresses so far! It looks like a revolution from the W02 not just an evolution.

The whole rear is much tighter with the sidepods massivly sculpted. They all but vanish before you hit the rear suspension. The stepped nose is ironically not too far from the look of the W02.

issues4
issues4

hi guys, "long time lurker" as some state...here is another pic
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 06x404.jpg

Edit: is it me or can i see an exhaust exit ala RB at the back there under the rear wishbone
Last edited by issues4 on 17 Feb 2012, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

Ben74
Ben74

Another picture.

Hail22

issues4 wrote:hi guys, "long time lurker" as some state...here is another pic
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 06x404.jpg

Edit: is it me or can i see an exhaust exit ala RB at the back there under the rear wishbone
Welcome issues! and look a myth has been quashed! the exhaust looks similar to the RB8 Suspension blowing exhaust, interesting :)

Look where the camera pods are, right in front of the suspension that would provide more aero flow :D
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Mr.S
Mr.S

Until we get to see a Top & Diagonal view it impossible to say how sleek the Sidepods are.

The Teaser released showed Super Sleek Sidepods which caused High Expectations from me. Guess we will have to wait till Tuesday.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

RB8 exhaust is really far back and near the centre of the car, this looks more like sauber to me. Just without the slot to direct the exhaust.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

It has a pushrod front

I think the exhaust outlet is close to where the "P" of Petronas sticker is, due to the brownish discolouration in that area.

In the Hi Res Pic posted from Morteza it looks like the Sidepod cover has a big vertical slit right where the Sponsor stickers start

ADD: The rear upper and lower wishbones shine metallic, so the exhausgasses must leave somewhere in front of them
Last edited by TimmTurbo on 17 Feb 2012, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.