Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mith

Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Yesterday Mercedes had a 'filming day' on Silverstone. I believe, it's a proper moment to start actual car thread. So here it is.

Here's the article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97553

And the spyshots:
(click image for higher resolution)

We can see, it has step nose in the fashion of F2012 (straight transition rather than V-profiled transition, most teams have) and air inlet on top of the bulkhead similar to MP4/26 and to F2012. At first glance sidepods are looking smaller than those of W02. And of course Schumacher was driving the car.

EDIT: For adding another picture.
Last edited by mith on 18 Feb 2012, 00:41, edited 3 times in total.

aral
aral

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

retpog55 wrote:

yeah exhaust to me looks similar to Mclaren design, black strip situated about 1.5 cm left on the photo from the bottom of the P on the side pod.
To me, it looks as if the exhaust is exiting just at the upper point of the P in Petronas, with black heat sheilding running down the sidepod.

Otherwise it seems as if there is nothing unique about the car

FW17

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

mith wrote:Yesterday Mercedes had a 'filming day' on Silverstone. I believe, it's a proper moment to start actual car thread. So here it is.

Here's the article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97553

And a spyshot in higher resolution:

We can see, it has step nose in the fashion of F2012 (straight transition rather than V-profiled transition, most teams have) and air inlet on top of the bulkhead similar to MP4/26 and to F2012. At first glance sidepods are looking smaller than those of W02. And of course Schumacher was driving the car.
definately longer than the W02

Schurcedes
Schurcedes

Is it me or is there a 'lip' on the tip of the nose? It's as if the upper and lower planes of the nose do not fit perfectly, there's a gap or slit in there that's wider and narrower than the cooling hole.

Some of the other cars have noses that are too flat to feature a slit.

Hail22

There is the exhaust, right under the rear suspension.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Different Shape of the FW Support

Morteza

Is it just me or the new car has a much longer wheelbase?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Hail22

Would be safe to assume its a longer wheel base then the W02.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Gerhardsa

Hail22 wrote:Image

There is the exhaust, right under the rear suspension.
it might be, but I think that is just the shadow that is cast by the suspension arm. I think the exhaust is above the P on the sidepod

issues4
issues4

i dunno, maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me :shock: , but this looks as clear as day to me..im not disputing the black part all the way to the P of Petronas...but perhaps it is heat shielded all the way up there because of the turn in the pipes under the bodywork or even a similar "back-pressure"/chimney setup ferrari were/are running in their exhaust from late 2011? the odd kink in the sidepod from the teaser topview might support this?

Hail22

issues4 wrote:i dunno, maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me :shock: , but this looks as clear as day to me..im not disputing the black part all the way to the P of Petronas...but perhaps it is heat shielded all the way up there because of the turn in the pipes under the bodywork or even a similar "back-pressure"/chimney setup ferrari were/are running in their exhaust from late 2011? the odd kink in the sidepod from the teaser topview might support this?
Blowing hot gas onto the suspension arm/blade thus giving downforce? also remember that Mercedes engines have a cold blowing feature due to engine design (run off feature), thus it could be a double bonus for them.

Gilles Villeneuve

issues4
issues4

well like RB offcourse, but like you said...double the fun perhaps [-o<

Gerhardsa

this is a blow up of the higher res pic.
I still think the exhaust is above the P from the sponsor logo

mind you..it can still have the same funtion as putting it right by the suspension if they implement the type of solution that Mclaren and Ferrari are doing with those cut outs/slots, dragging the gasses down and under the suspension arm onto the floor and over the diffuser. im just wondering...if it is so far up the sidepods, wont they lose more "energy" from the gasses, as to when the exhaust outlet being right by the suspension arm?
just thinking out loud here :?
Last edited by Gerhardsa on 17 Feb 2012, 13:50, edited 3 times in total.

Hail22

Only time will tell however now we have a debate going here! below the suspension arm or above the P for Petronas logo ;)

Gilles Villeneuve

banibhusan

Just 32 more pages and that will be a new record I presume. :D
Highest number of posts in any of the pre-launch speculation threads till date.