2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

JPower wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 02:47
Anyway, not sure what to expect at Austria. Given the car's relative lack of downforce, not expecting much.
The car seems to be front-limited at the moment, a new front wing needs to sort that out. Updates from Barca look ok, even if the floor is still relatively simple it still is very low and produces quite enough downforce, but works very differently from RB floor. Yesterday the tyres worked well, even the Hards, so if that wasn't a lucky break with setup the car should have the pace for a podium in Austria.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

emp
emp

mzso wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 10:01
Andres125sx wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 08:10
It was slower than the lap with inters from Alonso, Hamilton and Russel, so it was a poor lap wich was not enough for Q3. This is the fact, the rest is opinion
You don't know why it was slow because you didn't even see it and you certainly have no data or other background info. You just project into it your Leclerc bashing agenda.
Andres125sx wrote:
Putting some perspective is quite different to bashing.
Man, that's a fact that he was slow on that lap on inters, regardless of the reasons. Others could do better laps on inters at the same time while he couldn't, that's the reality. You both should stop with this stupid driver bashing, you are the perfect image of Ferrari, internal struggles and no results, just finger pointing.
Last edited by Stu on 19 Jun 2023, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal comment removed from quote

SharkY
SharkY

mzso wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
It was slower than the lap with inters from Alonso, Hamilton and Russel, so it was a poor lap wich was not enough for Q3. This is the fact, the rest is opinion
You don't know why it was slow because you didn't even see it and you certainly have no data or other background info. You just project into it your Leclerc bashing agenda.
You can actually know pretty well, why he was slow, if you look at his replay and telemetry. He understeered into T2, where he lost 0,5s to HAM and ALO, went on to have a pretty good rest of the lap (on par with ALO and made up that loss to HAM), but unfortunately rode the curb in T13 a bit too much and it cost him another 0,2s, which put him behind HAM. He had a good lap on softs which would get him into Q3, but unfortunately cut the T13.

What's sad for me is that Charles seems not to have much of a confidence in the car in wet. He struggled much in this quali, struggled in Spain quali and his Monaco wet run wasn't that great either. Hopefully the next updates would suit him better.

codetower

Marko saying Ferrari were faster than Red Bull yesterday:
A snippet from the article:
[Red Bulls 100th victory], however, could’ve been a different story had Ferrari not started in the midfield says Marko.

“Thank God we succeeded,” the Red Bull motorsport advisor said as per Motorsport.com. “We never thought it possible to join the elite club of teams with a hundred victories.”

Red Bull are now one of five constructors to hit triple figures although they’re still a long way off Ferrari’s 242 wins.

“It certainly wasn’t easy,” Marko said of Sunday’s victory.

“We had problems getting our tyres up to temperature, especially with the hard tyres. The race was more difficult than we had anticipated.”

He added: “I have to say, thank God Ferrari had to start so far back, because they were actually the fastest on both compounds.”
Article:
https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-ma ... 100th-win/

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

codetower wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 15:02
[Red Bulls 100th victory], however, could’ve been a different story had Ferrari not started in the midfield says Marko.

“Thank God we succeeded,” the Red Bull motorsport advisor said as per Motorsport.com. “We never thought it possible to join the elite club of teams with a hundred victories.”

Red Bull are now one of five constructors to hit triple figures although they’re still a long way off Ferrari’s 242 wins.

“We had problems getting our tyres up to temperature, especially with the hard tyres. The race was more difficult than we had anticipated.”

He added: “I have to say, thank God Ferrari had to start so far back, because they were actually the fastest on both compounds.”
Article:
Of course the one race where Ferrari mess up qualy they are faster than RB in the race haha, let's hope for a continuation in Austria but I remain hopeful(somehow) that the tyre tests after Barcelona has really helped the team understand the car. It is worth mentioning this is probably the worst race we have seen so far from RB so I wouldn't be sure about race wins yet... They will likely only be on the cards second half of the season if the SF-23 obtains some more upgrades consistently due to the RB penalty.

F1NAC

SoulPancake13 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 15:32
codetower wrote:

Article:
Of course the one race where Ferrari mess up qualy they are faster than RB in the race haha, let's hope for a continuation in Austria but I remain hopeful(somehow) that the tyre tests after Barcelona has really helped the team understand the car. It is worth mentioning this is probably the worst race we have seen so far from RB so I wouldn't be sure about race wins yet... They will likely only be on the cards second half of the season if the SF-23 obtains some more upgrades consistently due to the RB penalty.
cooler temps definitely helped Ferrari, I'm afraid in Austria it will be back to old stuff. Unless they bring new FW that will adress front limitation.

LM10
LM10

Vasseur and Charles told that the direction they’ve gone on Friday was the right one and AMuS reports that the tyre test in Barcelona helped the team a lot finding a good setup. Vasseur also said that they finally see light at the end of the tunnel. So I don’t think it will be “back to old stuff”.

I’m happy Ferrari have found decent race pace by setup work. It’s a good sign and always helps with further car development when the team is able to put the car in the right window. The Ferraris were the only cars with just a single pit stop and managed to stay with the front pack on old Mediums. The race pace improvement was huge.

Let’s hope for a brighter future from here on!

deadhead

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 10:30
JPower wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 02:47
Anyway, not sure what to expect at Austria. Given the car's relative lack of downforce, not expecting much.
The car seems to be front-limited at the moment, a new front wing needs to sort that out. Updates from Barca look ok, even if the floor is still relatively simple it still is very low and produces quite enough downforce, but works very differently from RB floor. Yesterday the tyres worked well, even the Hards, so if that wasn't a lucky break with setup the car should have the pace for a podium in Austria.
Didn't we have the softest tires in the range in Canada? I feel like the car has done well with those in the past.

Vanja #66

codetower wrote:
I was 100% sure he was again full of it, but when you compare the laps on compounds and correct them for fuel both Ferraris were on equal footing with Max. But, again, it was a colder race than usual and this must have helped them.

deadhead wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 18:26
Didn't we have the softest tires in the range in Canada? I feel like the car has done well with those in the past.
Same tyres in Baku, but Sainz struggled a lot there, so the softest range available is not really a guarantee for the team.

#BlessYouLaddie

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 19:59
codetower wrote:
I was 100% sure he was again full of it, but when you compare the laps on compounds and correct them for fuel both Ferraris were on equal footing with Max. But, again, it was a colder race than usual and this must have helped them.

deadhead wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 18:26
Same tyres in Baku, but Sainz struggled a lot there, so the softest range available is not really a guarantee for the team.
I find it difficult to understand how the hard stint was faster than others. Granted, Max and Lewis were on mediums but Fernando was on hards at the same time and seemed to be faster than the Ferraris while nursing an issue. The medium stint did seem particularly impressive given the age of the tyres (and having already sat in traffic for so long) and so this is encouraging - albeit at a circuit we knew would suit Ferrari - but I struggle with characterising the hard stint so positively.

Vanja #66

f1316 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 20:33
I find it difficult to understand how the hard stint was faster than others. Granted, Max and Lewis were on mediums but Fernando was on hards at the same time and seemed to be faster than the Ferraris while nursing an issue. The medium stint did seem particularly impressive given the age of the tyres (and having already sat in traffic for so long) and so this is encouraging - albeit at a circuit we knew would suit Ferrari - but I struggle with characterising the hard stint so positively.
I only mentioned Max, as did Marko. Compare Max' stint on Hards and first stint on Mediums to Ferrari's pace on Hards and post-SC pace on Mediums and you'll see what Marko was talking about. It's just a usual Marko statement to mess with others and an oversimplified comparison, but it wasn't made without any argument.

So the wall again wanted to make a strategy call that would have screwed Charles, unbelievable. Leclerc's wall has zero intuition and wanted to go for a safe strategy while in P8... Zero idea of the real pace of the car and the value of clean track position.

https://scuderiafans.com/f1-ferrari-str ... in-canada/

As the Safety Car exits the 4.361-kilometre Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal, the two Ferrari cars are at turn 10. Xavi Marcos informs car #16: “Box this lap, box this lap.” Charles Leclerc’s response is decisive. The driver implies that he wants to play his cards on track: “I don’t want to come in. I’m fighting for…” Charles tries to explain. At this point, the Ferrari track engineer promptly intervenes, accommodating the wishes of #16, exclaiming: “Let’s do the opposite of Norris” (Norris was seventh at that moment, ahead of Charles).

Listening to Carlos Sainz, we understand the original nature of Ferrari’s strategy in this situation. Riccardo Adami, the Spaniard’s track engineer, communicates: “If the tires are okay, we stay out.”

#BlessYouLaddie

mzso
mzso

SharkY wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 11:33
mzso wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
You can actually know pretty well, why he was slow, if you look at his replay and telemetry. He understeered into T2, where he lost 0,5s to HAM and ALO, went on to have a pretty good rest of the lap (on par with ALO and made up that loss to HAM), but unfortunately rode the curb in T13 a bit too much and it cost him another 0,2s, which put him behind HAM. He had a good lap on softs which would get him into Q3, but unfortunately cut the T13.

What's sad for me is that Charles seems not to have much of a confidence in the car in wet. He struggled much in this quali, struggled in Spain quali and his Monaco wet run wasn't that great either. Hopefully the next updates would suit him better.
Is there a video around of the lap in question?

JPower
JPower

mzso wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 23:03
SharkY wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 11:33
mzso wrote:

Is there a video around of the lap in question?
Only F1TV.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Andres125sx

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 22:04

So the wall again wanted to make a strategy call that would have screwed Charles, unbelievable.
Same with Sainz, they called him into pits but luckily he said tires were ok and stayed out

Ferrari strategy department... #-o
Last edited by Andres125sx on 20 Jun 2023, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.