2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Great result today, 18 points is a decent haul. So, what to expect in Imola, based on track characteristics?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Emag
Emag

Ground Effect wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 11:57
Great result today, 18 points is a decent haul. So, what to expect in Imola, based on track characteristics?
If there are no upgrades/improvements, probably worse than the last two races.

CjC
CjC

proteus wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 08:50
Marc.W wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 08:44
Best case scenario, cars that could have overtaken us had duff strategies or fell off the road and a car in front DNFs.

Hopefully the car is still good in Imola
Imola will be problematic.
It’s going to be a strong acid test for Mclaren for sure. Imola has some high speed stuff and it will be interesting to see if the car improvements made in Australia and any potential developments brought to Imola will improve the slow speed stuff.
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

Are you sure the team hasn't brought any small updates during these last two races? I find it hard to believe that it was only the track layout.

Emag
Emag

Any list for the pitstops? McLaren had the fastest ones again right?

Silver linings on the tough start to the season. They said they were trying to fix pitstops last year and they have definitely improved so far.

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:36
Are you sure the team hasn't brought any small updates during these last two races? I find it hard to believe that it was only the track layout.
As part of a new regulation, I think teams are now required to declare and list new parts/changes they bring to their cars.

And nothing has come on the McLarens. Just little tweaks it seems.

But you are right, it's not just track layout. It's also setup optimizations. They are getting the most out of what they have now.

djos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
They did bring small updates to Melbourne as confirmed by Andreas.
"In downforce we trust"

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:38
Darth-Piekus wrote:
As part of a new regulation, I think teams are now required to declare and list new parts/changes they bring to their cars.

But you are right, it's not just track layout. It's also setup optimizations. They are getting the most out of what they have now.
Just new rear brake duct/ winglets to close the gap that was between the old winglet and the diffusers edge.
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

Apparently RedBull pipped us for the fastest pitstop today, but McLaren has been very consistent.

2.4 seconds for both drivers at 2nd and 3rd place.

After so many years of bad pit stops, it seems likey they might have finally improved on them.

Big Tea

Emag wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 14:35
Apparently RedBull pipped us for the fastest pitstop today, but McLaren has been very consistent.

2.4 seconds for both drivers at 2nd and 3rd place.

After so many years of bad pit stops, it seems likey they might have finally improved on them.
Better to get more of the fast than just the one fastest. There is a trophy for fastest pitstop of all but points spending shorter average time in box.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 11:57
Before the Australian race I would have thought that they would have struggled at Imola, but after their performance I don’t think we can make an honest forecast… Yes, Melbourne Park was a track that appeared to suit the car, but the performance came on the portion of the lap that on paper was the one where they were going to struggle.

Just as with seasons in the past where the motto was: “We won’t know the pecking order until after 5 races”, a similar situation is happening with the performance of the cars… And this season will be probably harder to tell since the expected development rate is very high due to them racing brand new platforms.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:38
Darth-Piekus wrote:

They brought new rear brake assemblies (different fins on the brakes)… Small upgrade that can have a big impact, the rear brake fins not only work together with the diffuser, they also help control the inboard portion of the rear tire wake.

Darth-Piekus

If this small update gave them a significant amount of time is it possible that under the new regulations a big update can make them able to mix it up with the first 3?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

So was Lando's issue simply about needing to fuel save, do we know any more details?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

charliesmithhd

Ground Effect wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 19:51
So was Lando's issue simply about needing to fuel save, do we know any more details?
Was told to cool the car according to ted's notebook, similar to hamilton