2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

Gutted for Nando. Q3 was on the cards, for sure!

MtthsMlw

RZS10 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 18:18
Could anyone with F1TV please check out the queue in Q2 which led to Vettel blocking Alonso?
Bottas and Sainz are being investigated/invited to the stewards but judging by the footage from the driver tracker a few other drivers seemingly behaved similarly - the incident was noted as 15:39 so that should have been from that situation.
Found this on reddit

Zynerji

MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 18:23
RZS10 wrote:
Could anyone with F1TV please check out the queue in Q2 which led to Vettel blocking Alonso?
Bottas and Sainz are being investigated/invited to the stewards but judging by the footage from the driver tracker a few other drivers seemingly behaved similarly - the incident was noted as 15:39 so that should have been from that situation.
Found this on reddit

I hate to say it, but no penalty for Vettel on this one. He was following the directive to do the gap management before turn 9, and he did. Technically, as he entered turn 9 with Alonso close behind, he was starting his hotlap, and had no blue flag.

Sad for Fernando, but I think this one will escape any penalties.

RedNEO

MtthsMlw wrote:
RZS10 wrote:
Found this on reddit

This is a longer version that shows the main culprits. Vettel isn’t guilty of starting the slow train it was the cars that overtook him just before turn 9 and those ahead just going slow between turn 9 and 10. What Aston Martin will get a penalty for is not warning him that someone was on a hot lap behind which could have ended in a aeroplane accident.

atanatizante

ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 17:11

Mercedes were not gambling on rain. Their greatest hope was a setup that gave them better tyre deg than Redbull.

BOT did confirm that in the pen!

What I don`t understand is why they are sticking with this 1 stop strategy hoping they could outgun RedBull with a longer first stint ... I understood that their simulations said this setup and strategy it`s the faster way around here but could they found in just 4 days those 3 tenths of race pace to give them the edge? I don`t think so!

Norris and Perez with their 318km/h and 318,9km/h top speed in S1 are most likely on a 2 stopper, something that Pirelli recommended and I wonder why they didn't go on the same route bearing in mind that firstly it`s damn hard to overtake here and and secondly they have nothing to lose (except Perez to go ahead of them)
Last edited by atanatizante on 03 Jul 2021, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Schuttelberg

I love how the Verstappen and Red Bull fans are predicting a Hamilton win if it rains in advance to prove Mercedes superiority in those conditions so they can blame the car. It's the exact opposite of what Lewis/Mercedes fans did before qualifying!!
:lol:
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

atanatizante

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

politburo
politburo

MtthsMlw wrote:
RZS10 wrote:
Found this on reddit
It should be Bottas and Perez.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Pyrone89

No further action on Bottas, see FIA
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

RedNEO

The FIA’s reason for not giving Bottas a penalty is that too many drivers would have got one.. ok?

Vettel getting one was obvious but so should have the people who were actually going slow from turn 9 otherwise why even make the rule if you won’t enforce it because “too many drivers”

RZS10

Without having the onboard footage from all cars it's hard to judge, but if Bottas had been penalized then several other drivers should have been at least investigated as well - so maybe they realized that so went with no penalty for Bottas.

Vettel was the only one who actually impeded another driver, so the penalty makes sense.

edit: just checked the docs, for Sainz and Bottas:
[...] given the situation that many drivers ended up queuing at this part of the circuit, the Stewards determine that too many drivers contributed to the situation and therefore the driver concerned is not fully to blame.
Reads like "we would have had to penalize half the grid so nah".

The reasoning for Vettel's penalty:
there was still a queue of 3 cars preparing for their final qualifying lap. VET was the last car in this line and impeded ALO
All the docs on the FIA site
Last edited by RZS10 on 03 Jul 2021, 19:49, edited 2 times in total.

RedNEO

RZS10 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 19:38
Without having the onboard footage from all cars it's hard to judge, but if Bottas had been penalized then several other drivers should have been at least investigated as well - so maybe they realized that so went with no penalty for Bottas.

Just saw the post above before posting, is that the actual reasoning?

Vettel was the only one who actually impeded another driver, so the penalty makes sense.
https://imgur.com/a/INkYscn

MtthsMlw

And it took 4 hours to come up with that?!

RZS10

They were probably going through the onboard footage of all cars ... i can imagine that "yea but the others" was part of the defense.

RedNEO

Pyrone89 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 19:40
RedNEO wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 19:36
The FIA’s reason for not giving Bottas a penalty is that too many drivers would have got one.. ok?

Vettel getting one was obvious but so should have the people who were actually going slow from turn 9 otherwise why even make the rule if you won’t enforce it because “too many drivers”
The FIA never passes an opportunity to prove what a complete incompetent bunch they are
It honestly blows my mind..
People on Reddit were able to figure out the culprits just by watching this video below me hours ago and in that time the fia comes out with the worst explanation to do nothing. I guess if enough burglars rob a bank they will say because there were so many burglars ultimately nobody is fully to blame and punish nobody too.