Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Wazari

Re: Honda Power Unit

My speculative musings, ICE is not a 2015 unit but a 2016 unit running at 2015 tune state. My guess is that Esso still has not finalized the mystical 1% for the ICE and ICE power is way down to what is anticipated to be for the first race. I am also guessing Esso's final blend and ICE with new specs to be run at second session. I am also speculating that a total of 8 PU's in 4 different turbine and compressor combinations were brought to Barcelona for this session. I think the primary goal is to sort out minor ERS issues, check the new cooling system and related parts, chassis and aero work and get driver input. I would also guess that settings for deployment today never exceeded 50% level. I think over 80 laps is good for data analysis.

The above is speculation and understandings on my part only.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

vantage87
vantage87

Ted's Notebook - Barcelona First Test, Day 1

Some interesting information about speed trap and new power unit Mclaren Honda (start - 16:25)

ringo

Wazari wrote:My speculative musings, ICE is not a 2015 unit but a 2016 unit running at 2015 tune state. My guess is that Esso still has not finalized the mystical 1% for the ICE and ICE power is way down to what is anticipated to be for the first race. I am also guessing Esso's final blend and ICE with new specs to be run at second session. I am also speculating that a total of 8 PU's in 4 different turbine and compressor combinations were brought to Barcelona for this session. I think the primary goal is to sort out minor ERS issues, check the new cooling system and related parts, chassis and aero work and get driver input. I would also guess that settings for deployment today never exceeded 50% level. I think over 80 laps is good for data analysis.

The above is speculation and understandings on my part only.
I'm going to speculate that your speculation may be closer to the truth.
For Sure!!

Sasha
Sasha

The Honda F1 Boss being fired might be true.

My sources in Japan state that the upgrades that the 2016 PU will have at the next test was done by a 'Rogue R&D Team' run by ex-Honda F1 engineers(it looks like they where shamed/embarrassed with the product the young team and their leaders delivered last year).

What I heard was they ran their own development and their's ran better and fixed last years ERS problems.
Honda's problem lately is too many yes men over get it done men!
Last edited by Sasha on 23 Feb 2016, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

davidfroshanzen
davidfroshanzen

honda PU crackling noise when downshift is a technical issue ???

FW17

Button says there has been a 0.4 - 0.5 sec improvement :!: :?:

Moose
Moose

FW17 wrote:Button says there has been a 0.4 - 0.5 sec improvement :!: :?:
No, he said that there has been 0.4-0.5 seconds improvement from ERS deployment only.

FW17

I know that.

But weren't they targeting a bigger gain from the ERS?

Guess Honda's own targets have been missed.

Axed

The poor performance of Honda in various categories of motor sport last year, especially in Formula 1, eventually has had consequences for the two men responsible for its sports program. Hideo Sato, the top leader of the motorsport division of the Japanese brand, and Yasuhisa Arai, the man who led the return of the Japanese brand to F1 - with terrible results - will be removed from their positions at the end of the day, though they have been informed of this decision internally.

The announcement will be made by the president of Honda, Takahiro Hachigo, in Tokyo tomorrow afternoon; and the names of Sato and Arai's replacements will be made known at that time. In the case of Hideo Sato, who is about to be 65, the spacing is ultimately a way to send him into retirement in a more or less dignified manner, because the services provided to the brand in the last 15 years deserve respect and should not result in a dismissal or demotion.

In the case of Arai, the situation is different because he is far from having reached the end of his career within Honda, so he will have to accept that his progression within the Japanese brand has come to an end. In recent months it was felt that his personal relationship with Hachigo, who worked under him in his early years at Honda, would be enough to save his job, but the pressure of McLaren and the lack of development of the Japanese brand in late last year eventually dictated his removal.

From what we know, Arai's successor has a solid career as an engineer in the engine division and in competition with Honda, which is a good beginning, and is supported by the old guard - the veterans who were at the origin of the glorious turbocharged V6 and the normally aspirated V10 who dominated Formula 1 between 1986 and 1991 - and was part of the group which, of its own accord, set out to redesign the current turbo unit without Arai's direction; and won the internal battle, as the project leader Formula 1 was forced to accept the new turbo in his V6.
Last edited by FW17 on 23 Feb 2016, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

Lucky
Lucky

FW17

Honda has confirmed the departure as Formula 1 boss of Yasuhisa Arai.

Earlier, we reported rumours from Barcelona that the Japanese could lose his job following the disastrous start in 2015 to the new McLaren-Honda works collaboration.

“Yusuke Hasegawa has been assigned to replace Yasuhisa Arai to oversee the development, manufacturing and management of the F1 project,” Honda confirmed.

Report in progress…
GP247

hemichromis
hemichromis

I heard Wazari is coming out of retirement to take over the project.....

FW17

Official press release
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has announced today its annual organizational and personnel changes, including Operating Officers and Directors’ changes, effective April 1, 2016. In line with this decision, Honda has implemented changes in its managerial structure that oversees Honda’s Formula One (F1) project.

Honda Motor Co., Ltd will appoint a new Director role to oversee and supervise all F1 related undertakings to strengthen the organizational structure for Honda’s F1 project.

Yoshiyuki MATSUMOTO
・Senior Managing Officer and Director, Supervising Director of F1 Project, Honda Motor Co., Ltd
・President, Chief Executive Officer and Representative Director, Honda R&D Co., Ltd.

Furthermore, in accordance with the organizational changes in Honda R&D Co., Ltd,
Yusuke HASEGAWA has been assigned to replace Yasuhisa ARAI to oversee the development, manufacturing and management of the F1 project.

Yusuke HASEGAWA
・Executive Chief Engineer and Head of F1 Project, Honda R&D Co., Ltd. As of March 1, 2016

Yasuhisa ARAI
・Senior Managing Officer, Honda R&D Co., Ltd. As of March 1, 2016
http://www.semi.org/en/sites/semi.org/f ... 0Honda.pdf
ImageHonda F1 2007

Thunder

So was Yusuke Hasegawa Head of the Skunkworks Team which apparently build the PU Version that will be used this Year?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Mansell89
Mansell89

Some difficult press bites coming for McLaren, Honda, Alonso and Ron Dennis.

This will fuel all sorts of speculation that they haven't made the performance step required although I am inclined to believe that it could be that the development direction that will be most beneficial will be the rogue path and not the one that Arai had mapped out. I wonder if yesterday's testing may have been key.

Then there's gonna be the whole will he stay/won't he stay saga now with Alonso.

I would imagine that Honda might become a bit more no nonsense and direct in getting things done now- it's a big call from them but one that they obviously feel is right