2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Gillian
Gillian

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Juzh wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 16:52
Car was much better at the end but Verstappen was still a fair chunk slower on mediums compared to both mercs. Verstappen didn't have a new set, right? I think they got onto a set that had 2 laps on them. Mercs had around 0,5s on him and that can't be all down to those 2 laps. Especially since verstappen had zero drop off. Started on 37.7, ended on 36.7, 36.7 and 36.5. Shame they didn't go onto them sooner, leclerc was there for the taking.

in any case, P5 was probably the most they could achieve today. Singapore always throws curveballs into the equation, so no point in sobbing over if and buts with safety car timing.
SC timing was very unfortunate on both occasions. Verstappen struggled for traction after first SC but it did look a little better after a few laps. Even on new mediums you could see some sliding initially.

chrisc90

I dont think it was that bad compared to the Mercs when you look at the last stint.

marcel171281
marcel171281

Juzh wrote:
Car was much better at the end but Verstappen was still a fair chunk slower on mediums compared to both mercs. Verstappen didn't have a new set, right? I think they got onto a set that had 2 laps on them. Mercs had around 0,5s on him and that can't be all down to those 2 laps. Especially since verstappen had zero drop off. Started on 37.7, ended on 36.7, 36.7 and 36.5. Shame they didn't go onto them sooner, leclerc was there for the taking.

in any case, P5 was probably the most they could achieve today. Singapore always throws curveballs into the equation, so no point in sobbing over if and buts with safety car timing.
You do realise Verstappen didn't have free air on most of the laps at the start of that stint and also had to pas cars?

His set was new btw.

Juzh

marcel171281 wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 17:34
Juzh wrote:

You do realise Verstappen didn't have free air on most of the laps at the start of that stint and also had to pas cars?

His set was new btw.
I looked at laps in free air. Set was new youre right, i just wasnt sure

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It’s the 36.5s at the very end of a very long stint that are telling. Merc pace slows down before they even catch Norris. Verstappen keeps getting faster all the way until the end.

There are obvious things. RB couldn’t use the kerbs here. The others could use them.
A lion must kill its prey.

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:18
It’s the 36.5s at the very end of a very long stint that are telling. Merc pace slows down before they even catch Norris. Verstappen keeps getting faster all the way until the end.

There are obvious things. RB couldn’t use the kerbs here. The others could use them.
Hard to judge with mercs stuck. Im sure hamilton had loads of pace left, he usually does.

organic

I expected the weekend to be bad for a long time and was writing as much. The ride height of the rb19 is very important. Almost like the W13 in that regard. It feels like RB borrowed merc's homework a bit but made it a lot better

Singapore was the perfect storm of bad situations for the car and seemingly the drivers but still in the end the pace was okay. Shame about the setup corrections from fp3 to quali not working. To be honest I don't care that they took the risk. Theres no constructors/wdc fight on the line; why shouldn't they take that opportunity to improve the car? With the fp3 setup, a win would've been very tricky anyway.

Hopefully the floor upgrade can be brought to Suzuka and the car works again. If not, we can start talking about TDs and their impacts on the car. But max said the car felt great again at Suzuka on the sim so I'm not that concerned.

The tyres just didn't seem to be in their window this weekend

As for the floor upgrade which hopefully goes on to work, it is almost a carbon copy of what they did at Baku. I find it interesting how the team did the Baku upgrade of widening + lowering the sidepod inlet opening to increase undercut and used a strake to increase the camber of the floor edge wing. Then in Hungary and now Singapore we have more extreme versions of the same idea. They are being very conservative with development and probably saving a lot of time doing this; in a more competitive season perhaps the team would jump straight from the launch spec to a Hungary-like design for instance.

As for upcoming tracks, Mexico and Qatar are the other tracks where the car may struggle due to kerbs.

Thankfully max got the 10 wins before Singapore :D

randolf
randolf

It would be interesting to see if and when the team finds out what went wrong for this weekend. An upgraded car, prior info from simulator about some troubles and then loads of trial and errors by going back to old spec. Next race in Japan might just normalize things, but I am sure there a few people dedicated to scratch their heads to find out the root cause.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

randolf wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 19:14
It would be interesting to see if and when the team finds out what went wrong for this weekend. An upgraded car, prior info from simulator about some troubles and then loads of trial and errors by going back to old spec. Next race in Japan might just normalize things, but I am sure there a few people dedicated to scratch their heads to find out the root cause.
I don’t think there is any issue for Japan. Verstappen already said that they felt in the sim that Singapore would be tough, but that Japan felt amazing, so it will be normal service again.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:49
I expected the weekend to be bad for a long time and was writing as much. The ride height of the rb19 is very important. Almost like the W13 in that regard. It feels like RB borrowed merc's homework a bit but made it a lot better

Singapore was the perfect storm of bad situations for the car and seemingly the drivers but still in the end the pace was okay. Shame about the setup corrections from fp3 to quali not working. To be honest I don't care that they took the risk. Theres no constructors/wdc fight on the line; why shouldn't they take that opportunity to improve the car? With the fp3 setup, a win would've been very tricky anyway.

Hopefully the floor upgrade can be brought to Suzuka and the car works again. If not, we can start talking about TDs and their impacts on the car. But max said the car felt great again at Suzuka on the sim so I'm not that concerned.

The tyres just didn't seem to be in their window this weekend

As for the floor upgrade which hopefully goes on to work, it is almost a carbon copy of what they did at Baku. I find it interesting how the team did the Baku upgrade of widening + lowering the sidepod inlet opening to increase undercut and used a strake to increase the camber of the floor edge wing. Then in Hungary and now Singapore we have more extreme versions of the same idea. They are being very conservative with development and probably saving a lot of time doing this; in a more competitive season perhaps the team would jump straight from the launch spec to a Hungary-like design for instance.

As for upcoming tracks, Mexico and Qatar are the other tracks where the car may struggle due to kerbs.

Thankfully max got the 10 wins before Singapore :D
I also am quite satisfied with the result. Max was quite fast at the end with very little tire deg. My opinion may be unqualified but I've seen, heard, and read enough to have little concern going forward.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Interesting comments by peter windsor who spoke to Peter windsor before the race:
Dee wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 22:25

13:50 Peter WIndsor was talking to Newey before the race and asked about the TD, Newey said 100% no. It was just a perfect storm of everything going wrong and mentioned that the humidity and ambiance might have had an effect on the upshifts (engine) as well..

Adrian said the shifting issues could have been caused by the humidity. Very interesting.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Juzh wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:23
AR3-GP wrote:

Hard to judge with mercs stuck. Im sure hamilton had loads of pace left, he usually does.
I meant before they caught the Mclaren and the Ferrari. You can see they are suffering from tire deg because they are running flat out. It's very similar to the final stint for Perez and Verstapen in Baku where they also ran flat out and tires degraded early. When you push flat out, you kill the tires. It shows how much Verstappen is still lapping within the car because he's getting quicker all the way to the end, unlike the Mercs before they caught the leaders.

Gillian
Gillian

Verstappen comments after the race are interesting. He said they learned a lot this race but it won't be visible until this race next year. I wonder what he means? Some fundamental changes to the 24 car?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:49

because thinking that you could build a pole worthy car in the pause between FP3 and qualy without testing anything is somewhat laughable when they couldn't do it in 2 days worth of actual track time? :lol:
Last edited by AR3-GP on 17 Sep 2023, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 22:28
Interesting comments by peter windsor who spoke to Peter windsor before the race:
Dee wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 22:25

13:50 Peter WIndsor was talking to Newey before the race and asked about the TD, Newey said 100% no. It was just a perfect storm of everything going wrong and mentioned that the humidity and ambiance might have had an effect on the upshifts (engine) as well..

Adrian said the shifting issues could have been caused by the humidity. Very interesting.
Could be one more reason why RBs were nowhere on straights all weekend. I'm more and more hopeful japan will be back to normal. McLaren might be dangerous mind you. New update supposedly 4 tenths worth and they were already proper good in medium and high speed corner.
AR3-GP wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 23:03
Juzh wrote:
17 Sep 2023, 18:23
AR3-GP wrote:

I meant before they caught the Mclaren and the Ferrari. You can see they are suffering from tire deg because they are running flat out. It's very similar to the final stint for Perez and Verstapen in Baku where they also ran flat out and tires degraded early. When you push flat out, you kill the tires. It shows how much Verstappen is still lapping within the car because he's getting quicker all the way to the end, unlike the Mercs before they caught the leaders.

https://i.postimg.cc/nc4LPy5s/image.png

https://i.postimg.cc/d0mmQNLD/image.png
I see where you're coming from and you might be right in russell's case, but hamilton had more in hand certainly. You can even see it on lap 56 when he finally gets a second of clear air after passing leclerc and puts in 36.4 - faster than any verstappen's lap. Actually all hamilton's laps in clear air are faster than all verstappen's laps in clear air.
Verstappen was pushing 110% after passing gasly, you don't often see car moving around like that.