2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

Big deal this! Ahead of BAT on the partners list and the stickers are everywhere on the car

Balalu
Balalu

This morning, as a joke (as I was bored) I was going to ask if there are any new sponsors today. Came back and I see this... Looks big...
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I was actually going to say over the last race weekend that I really liked McLaren using the back of the rear wing to promote the McLaren Atura, but I think I’d rather have this deal instead.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Balalu
Balalu

Rumor has it that McLaren engineers are angry at Zak as he keeps adding sponsor weight /s 😁
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

adrianjordan

Balalu wrote:
03 May 2022, 13:32
Rumor has it that McLaren engineers are angry at Zak as he keeps adding sponsor weight /s 😁
White logo on bare CF this time 😂
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

As if that livery wasn't already a mess :lol:
A lion must kill its prey.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Brown on Ricciardo. Nothing in there that says anything definitive other than again that Ricciardo is with McLaren next year. Not seeing anything that screams they are seriously contemplating a swap of Dan for Herta or O'Ward in the near future. Especially the "theres no rush" statement from Zak. Seems like the usual bollocks rumormill stuff from Twitter was trying to create drama especially this Gasly stuff.

If Piastri who has done a heck of a job compared to those two guys can't get a seat yet in F1 at best one of those guys might crack a lower team in F1 as an entry point in a few years time IF they win Indycar imo ,before getting a chance with McLaren if Ricciardo keeps pace with Lando or starts beating him over the next two seasons.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/zak-brown ... do-future/

Lucky
Lucky

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lucky wrote:
04 May 2022, 10:26
https://youtu.be/8SXzGxoeN-c
That was a very interesting analysis… Norris consistently with higher cornering speeds through the lap, didn’t realized he didn’t brake for the last corner, that shows a lot of confidence in the car

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

runningmanz wrote:
04 May 2022, 08:22
Brown on Ricciardo. Nothing in there that says anything definitive other than again that Ricciardo is with McLaren next year. Not seeing anything that screams they are seriously contemplating a swap of Dan for Herta or O'Ward in the near future. Especially the "theres no rush" statement from Zak. Seems like the usual bollocks rumormill stuff from Twitter was trying to create drama especially this Gasly stuff.

If Piastri who has done a heck of a job compared to those two guys can't get a seat yet in F1 at best one of those guys might crack a lower team in F1 as an entry point in a few years time IF they win Indycar imo ,before getting a chance with McLaren if Ricciardo keeps pace with Lando or starts beating him over the next two seasons.

The rumors on Ricciardo started because someone (can’t remember exactly who) said that a “driver from a blue car was going to make a move”… Everyone interpret it as Gasly and when you look at the grid, the only logical place for Gasly was McLaren given the current line ups IF it would have been true… At the end, it was the potential for Piastri to go to Williams.

Regarding Pato and Colton, I watch Indycar and they are both very good drivers and are doing a “heck of a job” in an environment that is arguably a little tougher than F3-F2, where youngsters are fighting with very experience drivers… I don’t understand your comment that they should be hired “IF” they win Indycar, they both have won in Indycar already, do you mean the championship? Are you equating winning the championship in Indy to winning a few races in F1? I don’t think that is very fair to be honest.

I believe that the fastest drivers should be driving for a team like McLaren, regardless of who they are and you should never compromise for money… But I can see the appeal for the team to have someone that is very marketable in a target market for McLaren (like Colton in the US)… Been said that Colton is showing that he is pretty fast already, so we shouldn’t talk about Colton / Pato like if they were paying drivers looking for a seat.

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 May 2022, 17:57
runningmanz wrote:

The rumors on Ricciardo started because someone (can’t remember exactly who) said that a “driver from a blue car was going to make a move”… Everyone interpret it as Gasly and when you look at the grid, the only logical place for Gasly was McLaren given the current line ups IF it would have been true… At the end, it was the potential for Piastri to go to Williams.

Regarding Pato and Colton, I watch Indycar and they are both very good drivers and are doing a “heck of a job” in an environment that is arguably a little tougher than F3-F2, where youngsters are fighting with very experience drivers… I don’t understand your comment that they should be hired “IF” they win Indycar, they both have won in Indycar already, do you mean the championship? Are you equating winning the championship in Indy to winning a few races in F1? I don’t think that is very fair to be honest.

I believe that the fastest drivers should be driving for a team like McLaren, regardless of who they are and you should never compromise for money… But I can see the appeal for the team to have someone that is very marketable in a target market for McLaren (like Colton in the US)… Been said that Colton is showing that he is pretty fast already, so we shouldn’t talk about Colton / Pato like if they were paying drivers looking for a seat.
I(f they do not win, would they have enough points?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McL-H
McL-H

I think we’re having a great lineup with Norris and Ricciardo and we should do our best to retain both. The team needs to do better with the car.

the EDGE
the EDGE

McL-H wrote:
04 May 2022, 21:12
I think we’re having a great lineup with Norris and Ricciardo and we should do our best to retain both. The team needs to do better with the car.
After missing testing Danny’s done a suburb job to catch-up with Lando, unlucky to make contact with Sainz, but otherwise performed as good as Lando in last 2 races

Clearly the car suits him far better this year

runningmanz
runningmanz

Big Tea wrote:
04 May 2022, 18:04
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 May 2022, 17:57
runningmanz wrote:

I(f they do not win, would they have enough points?
While Colton and O'Ward have shown they are quite good drivers so far, imo they are not in the same league as Piastri, not even close. While they have won races here and there, neither have come close to winning the Indycar championship yet. Piastri has won 3 championships in a row in the traditional, proven path to F1, including smashing everyone in F2 last year. There also has been some very good drivers in F3 and F2 that he has raced against. What he has achieved is rare and only Leclerc and Russell are comparable in this regard. Pretty esteemed company there.

Also unless O'Ward or Colton finish 3rd or better this year I don't believe they would have enough points for a superlicense and would need special permission from the FIA to even get a drive in F1. If they did manage to get enough points or get special permission I could possibly see one of them in 2024 maybe joining Haas or possibly the new Andretti team on loan from McLaren. Has anyone from Indy let alone F1 feeder series even walked into straight into a top 3 or so F1 team before? I can think of Lando but even then McLaren were not far off rock bottom having finished 9th in 2017 so not exactly a top team when he joined at that point becoming test/reserve driver for 2018.
Last edited by runningmanz on 05 May 2022, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.