Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Rikhart
Rikhart

Re: Infiniti RedBull Racing 2013

This team is getting a bit laughable, so since they aren´t on top of the situation, they are requesting for last years tyres? So I guess from now on, a team that doesnt get a set of rules right can request for a fallback to the previous year´s rules? Just get on with it, didnt see you complain having won the last 3 years because of a car that benefits the most from the rule set...

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

People moaning about Red Bull lately, if it was Ferrari they would be threatening to quit the sport if they didn't get there own way!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

Cam

Rikhart wrote:This team is getting a bit laughable, so since they aren´t on top of the situation, they are requesting for last years tyres? So I guess from now on, a team that doesnt get a set of rules right can request for a fallback to the previous year´s rules? Just get on with it, didnt see you complain having won the last 3 years because of a car that benefits the most from the rule set...
You've missed the point. First of all, several teams are pushing to revert, not just RedBull. They are complaining because the cars only do about 80% capacity. What point is there having cutting edge cars that simply can never realize their full potential because of a tyre? The fastest cars are pointless - so is F1.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

bhall
bhall

Cam wrote:You've missed the point. First of all, several teams are pushing to revert, not just RedBull. They are complaining because the cars only do about 80% capacity. What point is there having cutting edge cars that simply can never realize their full potential because of a tyre? The fastest cars are pointless - so is F1.
I think that's inaccurate. Even if it's reviled, everyone who follows F1 is aware of just how important it is to take care of the tires these days. If Red Bull can't make the most of them, then I'd say they misspent some development time over the winter on fruitless aerodynamic solutions.

"Capacity" includes tire management, and it's the same for every team on the grid.

Cam

Well, I feel differently. The teams have all spent 100's of millions developing the cars to get around the track the fastest. Now, with one year left until major changes to the sport, they change the tires to the point that effectively renders all that aero development redundant. So all the teams must now spend 100's of millions more removing aero grip and outright speed, just so they can get a few more laps out of the tires. Tyre management is fine with me - but this is past that. Pointless.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

bhall
bhall

I think that's a separate issue, though. Yes, the tires in and of themselves are an absolute joke. In fact, they're embarrassing. But, we've all known that for quite a while now, and the teams (should) know by now they just have to make do with what they're given until such a time when real tires are brought back to the sport. That's the game.

In other words, these tires shouldn't be a surprise anymore, especially to the teams, because they all ran them last year during select practice sessions; they all had the off-season to prepare their cars for them; and they all had three full tests to try to make it work before the season began. I think any teams complaining about tire woes at this point are really just complaining because they got it wrong. And that too is the game.

Kiril Varbanov

Fine balance act. If I was working at Red Bull, I would've been mad, too.

As @ bhallg2k said, they had enough time, and tires were the same for everyone - the rest managed to understand them, whereas Red Bull did not. The most advanced technological team with the most respected tech person in the paddock heading it? Something must have gone really wrong.

At the same time, it's a very frustrating situation for Red Bull and it's normal to hear them talking about it, one way or another. At least they are not hypocritical.

To me, Red Bull have to find the pre-season miscalculation and fix it - especially if it's a matter of running less aero-downforce.

JMN
JMN

Vettel: "Mark is too slow, get him out of the way"

noname
noname

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Red Bull have to find the pre-season miscalculation and fix it - especially if it's a matter of running less aero-downforce.
I do not think they've made mistake, they are just gambling, or sticking with their priorities if you like. Red Bull (Newey) puts aero above anything else. They know they have some work do to, but I bet they are confident they can get on top of the issue. It reminds me of how they approached KERS, it took them a while to make it working properly, but finally they've done it.

Do not forget in 2012 they were developing the car till the very end, and that compromised their 2013 preparations.

munudeges
munudeges

Cam wrote:Well, I feel differently. The teams have all spent 100's of millions developing the cars to get around the track the fastest. Now, with one year left until major changes to the sport, they change the tires to the point that effectively renders all that aero development redundant.
If you've focused on aerodynamics to the exclusion of mechanical considerations then you deserve what you get.

JMN
JMN

From reddit/formula1: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyft1o ... U8ZIL-TNEL
Team radio with split screen of the race and pit wall with Mark's answers to Brundle on the podium in the end.

Gridlock

A different finger to the one we usually see... I don't recall Seb deploying the usual one at the end, either.

Cam

"Mark Webber admits currently considering future at RedBull amid race controversy".
First lines spoken on TEN national news program in Australia.
― Socrates

nacho
nacho

Who will replace him?

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Kamui - to hold the Infinity line. But I am sure MW won't leave before the end of his contract, just playing the pressure game on the team.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012