Ferrari F2008

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
modbaraban
modbaraban

Re: New Ferrari F2008 uncovered

rkn wrote:F2008 on track at Fiorano: http://youtube.com/watch?v=a84kyLLSDd8

Kimi is so lively behind closed doors, shouting and bouncing around. And worst of all talking to other people.
Thanx! Great video.

Belatti
Belatti

bizadfar wrote:because Marlboro owns that ad space.
Ok, I´ll ask again to see if you get it, when will Marlboro realice its stupid to paint a F1 car with bars (except for 2 or 3 races) and sell or stop buying that space.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19038.html

Read this news to see what Marlboro has done, they basically made a commitment with rival companies with the "International Tobacco Products Marketing Standards". Tha rival companies has withdrawn from F1 (Mild Seven and Luckies) but they broke the agreement (traitors) and now they are the only Tobacco sponsors in F1.

Sorry, its just that I seem to hate Cigarettes!
Last edited by Belatti on 08 Jan 2008, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

johny

maybe because they're getting profit of that :)

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Belatti wrote:
bizadfar wrote:because Marlboro owns that ad space.
Ok, I´ll ask again to see if you get it, when will Marlboro realice its stupid to paint a F1 car with bars (except for 2 or 3 races) and sell or stop buying that space.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19038.html

Read this news to see what Marlboro has done, they basically made a commitment with rival companies with the "International Tobacco Products Marketing Standards". Tha rival companies has withdrawn from F1 (Mild Seven and Luckies) but they broke the agreement (traitors) and now they are the only Tobacco sponsors in F1.

Sorry, its just that I seem to hate Cigarettes!

Because there is one rule for Ferrari and one rule for everyone else... [-X
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

djones
djones

Just watched the F2008 YouTube video.

They sound so much better without TC interrupting things.

Is it me or are they down changes slightly faster than normal? :?

Astro1
Astro1

I posted something relevent to the f2008's nose. In this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4589&start=60

Basicaly Manchild started a nose cone idea thread, and maybe what Ferrari are planning is not too far from what he suggested.

I would post that info here, but I didn't want to double post. Sorry. Feel free to copy and paste it in this thread if you need to.

effuno
effuno

the vertical plate- outside the sidepods and below the mirror- has a slot in it ! cud someone enlighten me on the purpose of that ?
For me, it seems too high to generate any advantages from tip(slot tips) vortices ! maybe accelerates the flow btw slots into the side of car ?but, that doesnt guarantee attached flow, does it..! hmm.. too many blunders ? :roll:

Or maybe helps create better side force ? :?:

between, could someone tell me what that 'plate' is for in the first place ? :|

And, has that 'plate' been christened ? :)

checkered

effuno wrote:the vertical plate- outside the sidepods and below the mirror- has a slot in it ! cud someone enlighten me on the purpose of that ?
For me, it seems too high to generate any advantages from tip(slot tips) vortices ! maybe accelerates the flow btw slots into the side of car ?but, that doesnt guarantee attached flow, does it..! hmm.. too many blunders ? :roll:

Or maybe helps create better side force ? :?:

between, could someone tell me what that 'plate' is for in the first place ? :|

And, has that 'plate' been christened ? :)
I guess it's been

most often called a "pod vane" or a "pod wing". It's not all too clear cut to me since different teams treat it in various ways, some as a separate element, some integrating it to chimneys and such ... and some don't have them from time to time. The slot was introduced into Ferrari's version during last summer already.

It's a device that has to do with both internal and external aerodynamics. As I understand it, Williams has had a different radiator layout to many, so they wouldn't have had a similar advantage of pod vanes. There's also a slight weight penalty in attaching them. I presume externally the idea is to get a good flow going under the rear wing etc.

I've read it somewhere that the slot is there to "bleed" excess air away from the pods in high speeds. I'm sure others will help in filling in other uses for the thingies.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Once again back home after a month or so away...

And finally had the chance to check out the new cars launched as of late, and I'm glad that they didn't change much compared to last season's.

The F2008 did in fact end up being an evolution rather than a revolution, as many of us predicted. But I hope reliability levels increase this season, in order for both drivers to get maximum points and remain consistent throughout the entire season.

Not much time left until season opener in Australia!

---
600th post
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Ciro Pabón

Just in case nobody has posted this already (fat chance!):

Can you spot the 10 differences?

BTW, I don't know if the wheelbase is larger or what: if I try to use the same wheelbase, as shown by the white vertical lines. Yes, I missed a pixel or two, but you try to make it better. :)

I also don't know why the entire car has "moved forward": the rear wing has moved toward the front, as well as the cockpit; the pattern of the shark gills is different, well, you can spot the rest.

To answer the question posted about the exhausts, yes, they are larger. :)

The most intriguing question for me: the Marlboro "logo" on the nose lost a line, what's going on? Maybe they will retire from sponsorship slowly: one line at a time... ;)
Ciro

bar555
bar555

I think you mean these spots , am i wright :?:

Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

Ciro Pabón

Well, I was just joking (how strange!). I guess they are more than 10 (rear wing, cockpit opening, rear brake inlet "covers" or whatever is the name of the red thingies on the inside of the rear wheels). But, hey, thanks for the info, it shows you have been watching both cars in detail. And, btw, thanks for the "other thread" with the comparison pictures you put together: I've just seen it. Cool.
Ciro

bizadfar
bizadfar

Why would they make the nose-> sidepod less sculpted, I would imagine it would guide air flow much better.

(number 4 on Bar555 pic)

I think after a few races we"ll see the toyota style wing gone. Maybe it works good for them, but seeing last years adoption of the bridge wing by a few teams after Mclaren and Toyota doing it this year it doesn't seem like Ferrari's solution is a good/or "the way to go" concept.

FLC
FLC

The sidepod changes you're talking about were made already last year around Barcelona and as part of a completely revised aerodynamic package for the F2007. The goal, if I'm not mistaken, was to provide the car with a better cooling system, reduce drag and enhance the rear end efficiency in general. To see the changes more clearly, I've made this quick comparison:

Not that I underestimate your discussion, Ciro and bar555, but you are comparing the F2007 when it was launched to the new F2008. If you made a comparison between the F2007 from Brazil or Jerez and the F2008 you would see that the results would be different, naturally.

The exhausts of the F2007 were made longer around the French GP; The F2007 already had that second raw of gills, but the total number of gills on the F2007 from the end of the season is less than those on the F2008, as it is probably prepared for the hot races of Bahrain and Malaysia.