Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zibby43
zibby43

Re: Mercedes W12

wesley123 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 01:14
zibby43 wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 08:04
To add on to what dans79 pointed out above, it sure would be nice for Ted to explain why losing floor area and floor sealing tools makes it better for the team that absolutely needs to rely sealing the rear of the floor to make the concept work.
Everyone relies on it.
As I mentioned previously, while Mercedes lost some surface area at the rear, they still have more floor area relative to shorter-wheelbase cars. After the reg changes, Merc still has a net advantage on how long the floor can work the airflow on the way to the diffuser.
The difference compared to other cars is fairly negligable. It isn't the 20cm longer they were in 2017.
zibby43 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 00:34
Here is what we know so far, in terms of both general principles, and what we've been able to observe the past 3 days:
  • In general, high-rake cars have more peak rear downforce potential due to the artificially adding volume to the diffuser
Not necessarily true since they run higher from the ground, and thus less ground effect.
The '21 regulation changes have seemed to penalize the low rake approach
Because?

The idea that a solution that will have less exposure to tyre squirt will face a larger impact from the loss of those slots that manage tyre squirt is highly illogical.
Mercedes look to be attempting to run higher rake at the rear
And like always, there is no certainty of such condition. People read waaaaaaayyyy too much into rake.
The W12 rear end has been inconsistent and unstable at times on all 3 testing days[/list]
Could very easily be mechanical, or a multiple of things.
1) Not necessarily? That’s why it’s called a general principle lol.

2) Except it’s not just about the loss of the slots, is it?

It’s loss of floor surface area, rear brake duct fins, the length of the diffuser strakes, etc.

And a multitude of things need to change both upstream and downstream to compensate for the sum of those changes.

4) We’re all just speculating, but judging by how the rear end of the car is breaking away and behaving unpredictably (similar to the RB16), in a year that the aero regs were changed, smacks of an aero balance problem, and not a mechanical one.

Furthermore, it seems the gusting winds exacerbated the problem in Bahrain. Which, again, doesn’t speak to mechanical problems.

Per Mark Hughes, who spoke to Mercedes’ engineers, they’re having no trouble with switching on the tires.

Is something stalling with the aero?

Feel free to add what you think the issues are. Would love to hear it. But everything I’ve observed, and everything we’ve heard from Merc, points toward aero.
Last edited by zibby43 on 15 Mar 2021, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 00:31
I will be really dissapointed if this is the actual race 1-spec w12 since they have been working on this %100 since august last year
Yup. For this reason I know Mercedes is blisteringly quick! It's just that the car is unstable. Unstable because it's a rocketship!
I will not be surprised If "we" aren't half a second ahead in Q3.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

zibby43 wrote:
Here is what we know so far, in terms of both general principles, and what we've been able to observe the past 3 days:
  • In general, high-rake cars have more peak rear downforce potential due to the artificially adding volume to the diffuser

Mercedes have been able to get away with a low-rake philosophy by utilizing greater floor surface area (the underfloor area is vitally critical here); while this sacrifices peak downforce potential, they've had the tools to provide a platform that is very stable and consistent

The W12 rear end has been inconsistent and unstable at times on all 3 testing days
Mercedes had no floor slots at the start of 2014 and the car was on rails. So not fair to put it down to that.

Aston has low rake. Probaby lower than Mercedes right now and Vettel said its "nice driving"..

Could be a number of thing Mercedes is pushing to the limits that are causing the instability. Just have to wait and see exactly what. Perhaps their Lasagna thingies, as Vjay(?) pointed out is an attempt to create a virtually larger floor.. Something is on the edge, rather than being fundamentally wrong is my guess.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

zibby43
zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 03:51
Mercedes had no floor slots at the start of 2014 and the car was on rails. So not fair to put it down to that.

Aston has low rake. Probaby lower than Mercedes right now and Vettel said its "nice driving"..

Could be a number of thing Mercedes is pushing to the limits that are causing the instability. Just have to wait and see exactly what. Perhaps their Lasagna thingies, as Vjay(?) pointed out is an attempt to create a virtually larger floor.. Something is on the edge, rather than being fundamentally wrong is my guess.
Yeah, and to clarify, I’m not talking about just the removal of the slots, but the sum of changes, which include a significant chunk of the rear floor being omitted. The regs in ‘14 were a lot less aero-dependent, and Merc’s PU advantage was enormous.

How has the Aston looked? I haven't watched it a tremendous amount, but I’ve heard is that it looked as equally cumbersome to drive as the W12, and that the AT and the RB looked the best of the field in terms of stability, change of direction, etc.

Of course no one here knows for certain what the issue is, but from what the Merc engineers reported to Hughes after Day 3, neither do they.

EDIT: Apparently, Sam Collins did an interview with Shov on F1TV and Shov confirmed that they have an aero imbalance that they don't yet understand.

Was listening to a podcast where someone in the industry reported that it looked like the Merc was having flow detachment problems at the rear of the car.

Perhaps a new nose/FW is incoming?

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

wesley123 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 01:14
zibby43 wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 08:04
To add on to what dans79 pointed out above, it sure would be nice for Ted to explain why losing floor area and floor sealing tools makes it better for the team that absolutely needs to rely sealing the rear of the floor to make the concept work.
Everyone relies on it.
As I mentioned previously, while Mercedes lost some surface area at the rear, they still have more floor area relative to shorter-wheelbase cars. After the reg changes, Merc still has a net advantage on how long the floor can work the airflow on the way to the diffuser.
The difference compared to other cars is fairly negligable. It isn't the 20cm longer they were in 2017.
zibby43 wrote:
Not necessarily true since they run higher from the ground, and thus less ground effect.
Because?

The idea that a solution that will have less exposure to tyre squirt will face a larger impact from the loss of those slots that manage tyre squirt is highly illogical.
And like always, there is no certainty of such condition. People read waaaaaaayyyy too much into rake.
The W12 rear end has been inconsistent and unstable at times on all 3 testing days[/list]
Could very easily be mechanical, or a multiple of things.
You literally solved all of mercedes problems by the power of assumptions :lol:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

carisi2k

zibby43 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 04:05
I'm not sure that is possible in 2021. With the regs the way they are that would require tokens they haven't got unless they haven't actually spent any tokens yet. Also it would be a bit much to do this in less then 2 weeks and with no testing to see if it will actually work. If they are unsure as to why it is happening then this would require them moving resources away from the 2022 car and are they willing to do this?

MKlaus
MKlaus

zibby43 wrote:
i have the same hunch.

zibby43
zibby43

carisi2k wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 07:32
I'm not sure that is possible in 2021. With the regs the way they are that would require tokens they haven't got unless they haven't actually spent any tokens yet. Also it would be a bit much to do this in less then 2 weeks and with no testing to see if it will actually work. If they are unsure as to why it is happening then this would require them moving resources away from the 2022 car and are they willing to do this?
Great point. I can think of this 2 ways: 1) No one knows for sure where Merc have spent their tokens yet, yet James Allison said it would be apparent in time. Do they have something already developed, and have yet to put it on the car? Was the running in Bahrain a baseline of sorts? I'd put this in the "unlikely, but possible category."

2) There is clearly scope to play with the front wing. I think there are 40 components on the "homologated" list, including, but not limited to: outboard front and rear suspension, steering column, gear ratios, driveshafts/other ancillary components, monocoque, front floor structure, impact structures, plank assembly, rear wing adjuster, gearbox/associated parameters, inboard suspension, brakes, and auxiliary oil tanks.

MKlaus wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 08:00
zibby43 wrote:
i have the same hunch.
If a subtle but pesky aero imbalance is the culprit, it's a very good place to start!

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Intresting article by motorsport.com highlighting the problem with mercedes and AMR rear ends
They think that Merc has taken their concepts to such an extreme that the gearbox is overheating and failing

CFD Eyes of Sauron

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ryaan2904 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 11:34
Intresting article by motorsport.com highlighting the problem with mercedes and AMR rear ends
They think that Merc has taken their concepts to such an extreme that the gearbox is overheating and failing

Interesting idea but didn't Mercedes's gearbox problem occur in the first few laps - a gear shift issue - and then they didn't have a gearbox issue thereafter. So it's odd if they had an overheating problem in the first few laps but then nothing later on during multiple laps during the hottest parts of the day. That suggest it wasn't an overheating problem for that car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

ryaan2904 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 11:34

If this is true, then Merc is in a big trouble.
They can solve the instability problem, I believe them but this one with the transmission is gonna be tricky.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Is that new transmission casing homologated yet? I remember the rules said that you can de-grade back to last year version but then you've lost you opportunity and aren't allowed to upgrade once again.
Though I'm 100% sure the problem isn't that big and mercs will probably find a way around it and win in bahrain
CFD Eyes of Sauron

NathanOlder

zibby43 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 08:46
I think there are 40 components on the "homologated" list, including, but not limited to: outboard front and rear suspension, steering column, gear ratios, driveshafts/other ancillary components, monocoque, front floor structure, impact structures, plank assembly, rear wing adjuster, gearbox/associated parameters, inboard suspension, brakes, and auxiliary oil tanks.
Don't suppose you have a list or link to a list of all the homologated parts ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

aral
aral

"Please discuss ONLY technical items of this car, and refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread."

I am re-posting the first post on this thread. Please discuss performance etc on the team thread and keep this thread for pure technical items only

El Scorchio

So is it still a mystery where they've spent their tokens, and whether those changed parts were on the car during the testing?

It's rather intriguing. There's a lot of 'knowing winks' and 'it'll be obvious', which seems to suggest no.