2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Datco
Datco

Re: 2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

That Mclaren was really fast. Wonder what Toto has to say about that PU :D

Wouter

I hope they will not be removed. So I will post two video's.

The Power of Dreams!

politburo
politburo

Wouter wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 21:36
ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 21:23
This kid is going to get nastier, more arrogant and more spoiled the more success he gets.
It bothers you that he's so good, doesn't it?! :D
Get used to it! It's been way too long for him to get a good car and for Lewis to finally get some competition.
The races are no longer boring for the first time this season.
He is quite good Verstappen. But let's be honest, last year's car was actually decent, it was fairly competitive in the races against one of the Mercedes (Bottas) just that they had 2 mechanical DNFs, 2 DNFs due to collisions and 1 due to Max spinning at Imola. He actually had an average finishing position of 2.42, compared to Lewis' 1.88, and Valtteri's 4.31, scored the same amount of podiums (11) as Valtteri who also had some bad luck at other races. There was still a fairly large discrepancy actually in terms of points and average quali gap though to the leader Lewis.

However, the new regs, new tyres, plus the "new" engine (by Honda pushing their 2022 engine to 2021 since they are leaving the series) created a perfect storm, and given how fast Max was already, the RedBull is now truly the perfect challenger to Merc. I thought it was far more enthralling in the first 5 races of this year, a real lottery as to who would win or qualify 1st. The last 2-3 races have been more predictable in those regards.

Maybe from Silverstone we shall see Merc bring some more competitive pace, given how that track has so many high speed corners which the Merc is still excellent in. The 2 tenths delta in Quali at a short track like this one is quite a gap it has to be said. But even if the race tomorrow is boring at the front, there is still plenty to watch in the Midfield.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

mkay
mkay

Wouter wrote:
ringo wrote:
This kid is going to get nastier, more arrogant and more spoiled the more success he gets.
Get used to it! It's been way too long for him to get a good car and for Lewis to finally get some competition.
We’ve literally had the most boring race of the season a week ago, and tomorrow’s race is probably going to top it.

Sieper

We had that for years. Now we have (possibly) 2 races with a dominant win by someone else. Tomorrow hasn’t even started yet. It is just qualy. Rest of the season is still very much on.

Schuttelberg

Great penalty for Seb. Anyone that supports it is either blind from the eyes or hate! What a joke!

Hilarious Bottas went penalty free.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Sevach
Sevach

MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 18:23
RZS10 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 18:18
Could anyone with F1TV please check out the queue in Q2 which led to Vettel blocking Alonso?
Bottas and Sainz are being investigated/invited to the stewards but judging by the footage from the driver tracker a few other drivers seemingly behaved similarly - the incident was noted as 15:39 so that should have been from that situation.
Found this on reddit
When you look at the gap drivers were leaving to each other and the absolutely humongous gap Bottas left to Russel...

ringo

Dee wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 21:32
ringo wrote:
Funny how every word out of Hamilton's mouth is critqued and we have Max being a grouch to his pitwall about Lando getting a tow from him. Even when he is on pole he snaps at his team for letting him go out for a lap first. This kid is going to get nastier, more arrogant and more spoiled the more success he gets.
Max to Sky ... "Lando had an amazing lap. I'm not happy with myself but I have to try and make myself happy or else I sound really grumpy. Of course I'm still first, but I wanted to be perfect and it wasn't perfect today. It's probably how I grew up with my dad, it's never perfect."

Still want to say he is nasty, arrogant and spoiled?
He didnt say that first. This is him after the fact.

what a way to talk to your team after getting pole in a rocket ship:
“We will never, ever do that again – us go first,” he said on team radio. “It was P1, but we’ll talk about it later.”
Last edited by ringo on 04 Jul 2021, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

Sieper

You hate his guts, fine. Please keep posting it at every opportunity. Very informative for us all to read about it.

falonso81

I don't remember the FIA saying that if the number of offenders reaches a certain limit, penalties will not be enforced. It looks more like "We are not going to sit here all night reviewing footage from half the grid. Just give penalty to the last car and lets go home".

ringo

Wouter wrote:
ringo wrote:
No i am quite fine as an F1 fan. Max's ability isnt new to most here in the forum. Not bothered by him at all. Just hilighting the hypocrissy in most cases.
Let's see how he gets along tomorrow down into turn 1 with Lando. Barring any first lap crashing out, Max should win this race easily.
For Sure!!

matt_b
matt_b

Wouter wrote:
ringo wrote:
No for the first time this season the races are boring, what a bizarre comment to make #-o

mkay
mkay

Sieper wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 23:41
We had that for years. Now we have (possibly) 2 races with a dominant win by someone else. Tomorrow hasn’t even started yet. It is just qualy. Rest of the season is still very much on.
With limited development and budget cap, the second half of this year is likely going to mirror 2013.

Chuckjr

The moment the Merc doesn’t have a 2 second advantage, Lewis becomes the punter he’s always been. The Merc has hidden that reality for years now, and thank god F1 finally has competitive sharp end.

Great job Lando. Very very impressive. Driver of the day. I thought he had the pole for a moment there. Great to see Macca is back.

They need to put Russell in the Merc next year, then they may have a chance at winning the title. With a Bottas and Ham line up they will drop down in the rankings. Just the hard reality they need to face now that their car is not pathetically advantaged.

Thank you Honda.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Sieper

mkay wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 01:51
Sieper wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 23:41
With limited development and budget cap, the second half of this year is likely going to mirror 2013.
We have two races at the same venue. Second hasn’t even started yet. Lewis might still win it. But even if Max wins it, there are still many more races to go, there have already been some were Mercedes were clearly the fastest. Who is to say how it will go. I am now confident it will be a battle but I am totally not confident the battle is over.