2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

I just noticed Riccardo is starting behind to Hamilton, that McLaren is mighty slippery, and Alonso is right there too!
Saishū kōnā

renault rs26
renault rs26

JordanMugen wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:01
renault rs26 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 15:51
JordanMugen wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 15:23

I don't think so. Nothing wrong with Tyrrell, Stewart and Toleman joining the group of top teams -- bearing in mind two of these had previous iterations, traditional Renault & Mercedes works teams from their home country before they adopted a British gariste team structure. Why should there only be three and not six? :)

After all, other historic top teams like Lotus and Brabham are gone. :(
Stewart and Toleman have 1 win combined, can't consider them as top teams even in one season.
Obviously Stewart = Jaguar = Red Bull and Toleman = Benetton = Renault = Alpine. :)
They're still far from Ferrari, McLaren and Williams. Good qualifying for Alonso.

Zynerji

darkpino wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 15:22
I indeed also think Lewis will have a hard time tomorrow to win this. And that’s good, not because it’s Lewis but because a win shouldn’t be a walk in the park imo
I called it months ago. Lando wins this, Hamilton/Max dont score, and McLaren are torched for not swapping them at Monza... :lol:

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Merc and Hamilton just cannot seem to get anything right. Besides Lewis hitting the pit wall and costing the team a front row lockout probably, Mercedes left it way too late to switch to the slick tire. When Russell made the call they should have went after that as it was obvious everyone was going to be on slicks, and the more warmup laps you did the better off you would be. This team is just underperforming massively and it goes from their main driver down to their inept pitwall. They don't deserve to win this championship imo.

etusch

godlameroso wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 15:43
matt_b wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 15:29
So why did Red Bull change Max's engine so soon, they should've made the decision after qualifying because he would sitting P4 now after his penalty and Lewis P5. Could be crucial in the end #-o
Now you have the rest of the season covered. Taking the penalty now gives you clear sailing parts wise for the rest of the year. The win is not guaranteed for Hamilton, he has to overtake 3 cars in one corner, if he doesn't the lead cars will pull away from Russell, if he gets by Russell he'll be stuck in a DRS train. Perez is faster than either Norris or Sainz in the race, and Bottas is there with Alonso to keep him company. Norris/Sainz will create a bottleneck.

High probability of a safety car at the start, it's a slippery track. That's the only unpredictable factor.

Verstappen knows what to do at this point.
Starting from back always has risks. p4, p5 vers, ham would be another crash case = additional risk. Very simple look; Verstappen at back, Redbull were expecting a ham pole. Now ham at p5 or something like that. Redbull has 5 place advantage compared to what they had expected.

godlameroso

etusch wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:40
godlameroso wrote:
matt_b wrote:
So why did Red Bull change Max's engine so soon, they should've made the decision after qualifying because he would sitting P4 now after his penalty and Lewis P5. Could be crucial in the end #-o
Now you have the rest of the season covered. Taking the penalty now gives you clear sailing parts wise for the rest of the year. The win is not guaranteed for Hamilton, he has to overtake 3 cars in one corner, if he doesn't the lead cars will pull away from Russell, if he gets by Russell he'll be stuck in a DRS train. Perez is faster than either Norris or Sainz in the race, and Bottas is there with Alonso to keep him company. Norris/Sainz will create a bottleneck.

High probability of a safety car at the start, it's a slippery track. That's the only unpredictable factor.

Starting from back always has risks. p4, p5 vers, ham would be another crash case = additional risk. Very simple look; Verstappen at back, Redbull were expecting a ham pole. Now ham at p5 or something like that. Redbull has 5 place advantage compared to what they had expected.
Agreed, and again it's too early to say what will happen tomorrow, just need to stay ready for whatever may come.
Saishū kōnā

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

etusch wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:40
godlameroso wrote:
matt_b wrote:

I look forward to the Verstappen come back drive myself, he has Leclerc for company who showed good race pace on the long runs, and if he does not clear him early I reckon it will be a very difficult afternoon and they will have to resort to strategy to get ahead. And of course there is the matter of making the passes cleanly. Let's see you do that Max.

etusch

godlameroso wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:10
I just noticed Riccardo is starting behind to Hamilton, that McLaren is mighty slippery, and Alonso is right there too!
If both of them have a good start look the race!

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

Hammerfist wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:34
Merc and Hamilton just cannot seem to get anything right. Besides Lewis hitting the pit wall and costing the team a front row lockout probably, Mercedes left it way too late to switch to the slick tire. When Russell made the call they should have went after that as it was obvious everyone was going to be on slicks, and the more warmup laps you did the better off you would be. This team is just underperforming massively and it goes from their main driver down to their inept pitwall. They don't deserve to win this championship imo.
It’s seems a great deal of people are enjoying gloating at Hamilton this season when he makes an error while conveniently ignoring Mercedes mistakes which have caused at least some of his issues.

etusch

Hammerfist wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:44

I look forward to the Verstappen come back drive myself, he has Leclerc for company who showed good race pace on the long runs, and if he does not clear him early I reckon it will be a very difficult afternoon and they will have to resort to strategy to get ahead. And of course there is the matter of making the passes cleanly. Let's see you do that Max.
Leclerc is a good driver(I am sure he was the pole seater if he has not penalty) + he has updated engine. So it would be hard to overtake him. But don't forget that Leclerc will also go forward during race. If Verstappen could not overtake him it may cost him but not leave him at back.
Last edited by etusch on 25 Sep 2021, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

codetower

haza wrote:
I’ve just woke up missed quali to see a mclaren,ferrari,Williams top 3 think I’ve woken up in the 90’s🤯 can someone explain how this happened 😂
Great Scott!!

Very interesting race it’s going to be. Lando definitely has the speed to hold for a good chunk of the race… Mercedes starting in the middle of the top 10, Verstappen and Leclerc (with an engine upgrade) at the back. I think it’s going to be a helluva race!

Sieper

Starkblood80 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:45
Hammerfist wrote:
It’s seems a great deal of people are enjoying gloating at Hamilton this season when he makes an error while conveniently ignoring Mercedes mistakes which have caused at least some of his issues.
Pit wall mistake this! I hear you :lol:

jz11
jz11

Hammerfist wrote:
they've grown fat and lazy, always going for the conservative approach for last couple years at least, being in the lead with good handicap in your hand does that to people

next year will show whats what, perhaps their focus has simply been entirely on the new car...

etusch

Sieper wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:48
Starkblood80 wrote:
25 Sep 2021, 16:45
Hammerfist wrote:
Pit wall mistake this! I hear you :lol:
I am very angry with him that he could not distroy the car :lol:

codetower

Here’s a thought, does Mercedes just take the hit and go with a new PU at this point? Now that they are starting 4th now, it might change things.