Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: Ferrari SF23

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 14:33
There are way too many use options with that air, it has decent energy, converging channel will speed it up a bit and there's a decent amount of it. Once you manage to make this kind of channel, you use it as best as you can. Helping to keep the flow around engine cover attached seems very likely, a lot of signs point to it.
Agreed. I think they’ve worked wonders with the packaging to make this possible.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 22:19

This guy is reading the forum, more than once he posted revelations discovered here as his own a few hours later...
It's surprising how much of the media's relevations and sources are from reading here tbfh, and then they claim it's their own.
I had a good laugh with the amount of Mclaren stuff that came from my posts here the last couple of years. Sometimes I sneak in some tiny BS thing that doesn't matter just to see if they repeat it verbatim to check if is here :lol:

organic

S-Duct Ferrari SF-23: the first request for clarification has arrived at the FIA
link to article: https://www.formu1a.uno/s-duct-ferrari- ... iarimenti/

Link to translation by DeepL

Tweet:

Last edited by organic on 21 Feb 2023, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

That didn't take long

Stu

organic wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 16:25
S-Duct Ferrari SF-23: the first request for clarification has arrived at the FIA

Tweet:

OT, but I wonder which team sought clarification?

Back on topic…
Kyle seemed to think that the duct entrance, exit (and probably whole duct) are in the “mid-chassis legality box” in his assessment of the car, thus avoiding minimum radius rules that apply to “bodywork”.
If it is ‘just’ an s-duct variation, the entrance is much larger than the outlet; would this re-energise any turbulent flow ingested?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

organic

Stu wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 18:13
organic wrote:

Back on topic…
Kyle seemed to think that the duct entrance, exit (and probably whole duct) are in the “mid-chassis legality box” in his assessment of the car, thus avoiding minimum radius rules that apply to “bodywork”.
If it is ‘just’ an s-duct variation, the entrance is much larger than the outlet; would this re-energise any turbulent flow ingested?
I think that there isn't question of the legality of the actual aperture and radius rules due to its location as Kyle has deftly pointed out.

Personally I think teams may want to raise with the fia what amount of cooling must the air be carrying out for such an aperture to be allowed, and may also want to know whether Ferrari have satisfied with the FIA that their ducting is compliant in that regard

GrrG

organic wrote:

Tweet:

English version
https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-sf-23-r ... ri-s-duct/

Soalar
Soalar

PhillipM wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 16:07
Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 22:19

This guy is reading the forum, more than once he posted revelations discovered here as his own a few hours later...
It's surprising how much of the media's relevations and sources are from reading here tbfh, and then they claim it's their own.
I had a good laugh with the amount of Mclaren stuff that came from my posts here the last couple of years. Sometimes I sneak in some tiny BS thing that doesn't matter just to see if they repeat it verbatim to check if is here :lol:
It just goes to show the quality of this forum and the posters that are contributing to it. If memory serves me correctly Kyle mentioned the technical forum in one of his video's not that long ago.

Sorry o.t.

gordonthegun

Here the differences of the geometry of the front suspension and of the engine cover.
The front of the chassis, starting from front suspension area, appears to be taller than last year.

f1316
f1316

gordonthegun wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:14
Here the differences of the geometry of the front suspension and of the engine cover.
The front of the chassis, starting from front suspension area, appears to be taller than last year.

https://i.ibb.co/TKs22J7/f1-2023-ferrar ... 1-copy.jpg
It’s tough to tell since the angle of these pictures isn’t the same. I do think the angle of the pushrod is slightly sharper (ie a smaller angle) though and the lower suspension arms are lower than last year (presumably to give them more setup flexibility?).

gordonthegun

f1316 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:23
gordonthegun wrote:

It’s tough to tell since the angle of these pictures isn’t the same. I do think the angle of the pushrod is slightly sharper (ie a smaller angle) though and the lower suspension arms are lower than last year (presumably to give them more setup flexibility?).
The fact that "the lower suspension arms are lower" implies a thicker chassis in that area but it seems to continue to be thicker going to the nose as well.

FDD
FDD

gordonthegun wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:44
f1316 wrote:
gordonthegun wrote:

The fact that "the lower suspension arms are lower" implies a thicker chassis in that area but it seems to continue to be thicker going to the nose as well.
Difficult to say I think, that chassis is thicker since there are kneels in the points where the lower suspension arms are connected to the chassis.

shady
shady

still surprised we went with bathtub instead of blood cell..

PlatinumZealot

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 06:38
AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 01:24
Why is it expected that there will be 1 sidepod winner? Has such a thing ever been, in F1? (Aside of PU supremacy...)
In 2017 Ferrari introduced the top sidepod inlet and ran it for 3 years. For final 2 years of the rules they abandoned it. In 2021 there was almost no difference on sidepod design on any car, while 2017 saw loads of different approaches. There is always convergence, one way or the other.

2026 rules will require smaller cars and even if their general idea will remain the same like 2022-2025 cars, smaller wheelbase will influence everything. This also means sidepods will be much shorter than all 2017-2025 designs and will likely require novel solutions.

This means you'd want to define your approach on this major design feature for the next 3 seasons and stick with it, since changing such things is now more difficult than ever. If anyone changes their design in 2024, they will be 2 years behind top teams, so I really expected 9/10 teams to come up with very similar designs this year. :)
They didn't abandon it though. They made the shape more efficient. Every single team copied the idea remember. By 2021 It wasn't a full hole in the top of sidepod anymore but the side pod wings played a similar role.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Andi76
Andi76

Stu wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 18:13
organic wrote:

Tweet:

Back on topic…
According to media reports there were "several teams" who sought clarification.
gordonthegun wrote:
21 Feb 2023, 22:44
f1316 wrote:
gordonthegun wrote:

"Enrico Cardile, the technical manager of the project, explained that “… the most evident changes of the new suspension are certainly in the front area, where we have gone from a configuration with a high track road to a low track road, guided by the needs of aerodynamics”. The Italian engineer also underlined that “the front wing is different as well as the structure of the nose”.

The approach of the front has been changed more than it seems: the two triangles with carbon covers that have been specially designed to laminate the flows according to the wishes of Diego Tondi’s staff, the Ferrari aerodynamics chief. Not only that, but the suspension arms have been lowered so that the chassis is also in line with the nose which is more hollowed out on the sides in the lower part.

Even in the yellow dotted line, the chassis rises towards the Venturi channel and the vertical intake of the bypass duct is not overlooked, a sign that the introduction of this concept has been evaluated with great attention in the definition of the entire front part of the SF-23.

The photo from Motorsport Italy allows us to see that the keel of the SF-23 reaches the leading edge of the tea-tray, and there is no longer the double splitter that Ferrari had immediately copied to the Aston Martin AMR22 already for the presentation of the F1-75." - quote from Scuderiafans