2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Stu

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

No set-up changes are allowed after Qualifying starts though (without breaking parc ferme), for me that is the worst aspect of the Sprint format weekend.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Stu wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 15:10
No set-up changes are allowed after Qualifying starts though (without breaking parc ferme), for me that is the worst aspect of the Sprint format weekend.
Yes no changes are allowed. What some are proposing is to break parc ferme and start from the back because many can see Austria Pt 2 coming from a mile away. RB forced into 3 stops such is the degradation. So they'll finish behind Mercedes and even Ferrari based on yesterday.

By changing the setup they stand the chance of improving the car and having something to fight in the event of a safety car. At worst, they will still beat the midfield no matter what they do, even if the setup change makes the car worse.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 15:16
Stu wrote:
Yes no changes are allowed. What some are proposing is to break parc ferme and start from the back because many can see Austria Pt 2 coming from a mile away. RB forced into 3 stops such is the degradation. So they'll finish behind Mercedes and even Ferrari based on yesterday.

By changing the setup they stand the chance of improving the car and having something to fight in the event of a safety car. At worst, they will still beat the midfield no matter what they do, even if the setup change makes the car worse.
Even if they do, nothing much to really lose with Max. He will come through the field no issue anyhow if they get the new setup right. It would be a good learning curve for them aswell given it does appear to be Austria again. Just with a much quicker Mercedes.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 15:18
AR3-GP wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 15:16
Stu wrote:

Even if they do, nothing much to really lose with Max. He will come through the field no issue anyhow if they get the new setup right. It would be a good learning curve for them aswell given it does appear to be Austria again. Just with a much quicker Mercedes.
Exactly. Even if they get the setup change wrong, nothing even matters as you say.

The only caveat is maybe Max can spend the day destroying Charles race from his current grid position so that Perez can get points....but on the evidence of yesterday, Charles will get past both of them within 25 laps.

shultz
shultz

Can they break parc ferme to fix setup and give him a new engine? There's no reason for Max to even start the race if the odds of a win are slim. This way they may have a pace offset similar to Hamilton last year.

chrisc90

shultz wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 15:47
Can they break parc ferme to fix setup and give him a new engine? There's no reason for Max to even start the race if the odds of a win are slim. This way they may have a pace offset similar to Hamilton last year.
I dont think there's much point throwing 10million or whatever a engine costs in for 2 races with the titles wrapped up.

Big Tea

shultz wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 15:47
The only reason for him to start is to go for a win. More points than he is already clear by are no use to him so it would have to be another win for the record or help Checo, which I cannot see happening
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

organic

Breaking parc fermé to get a better setup and hope for a safety car to get back to the fight at the front would be bold and maybe the best move

search

The official tyre list is available as well now. I think it's incorrect, but what do I know...

And here with tyre-usage. I have included those imo non-used "used" tyres as "0 laps used":

Maybe they were used on the way to the grid yesterday? Definitely not in any official session.

chrisc90

Interesting RB took a extra pair of softs (with Max) over a hard against the likes of. I guess teams/drivers can chose their tyre allocation?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 16:10
Interesting RB took a extra pair of softs (with Max) over a hard against the likes of. I guess teams/drivers can chose their tyre allocation?
Teams can't choose the tire allocation. It's the same for everyone. I'm not well versed on the "tire discarding" procedures but that may explain the differences in the allocation as of today. They all started with 2 Hards, 4 mediums, and 6 softs for the sprint weekend. 8 softs on a normal weekend.

search

they "chose" it in a way that they did more laps on one tyre, and after FP2 and Sprint you need to return the sets with the most laps on it. It doesn't matter anyway, a 18-lap old soft is as useless for a race as a 20 lap old hard. They are basically in the bin already

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I've changed my opinion (although maybe it's the hopium kicking in).

Maybe the reason that Max's tires were ruined (even relative to Perez) was because too much sliding. The grippier soft tire would have slid less. We know Max will typically finish quite a ways ahead of Checo on the same tire.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Can’t say I’m smitten with Max not letting Checo past. That’s not cool.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

That deserves a chewing out from Marko.