2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Daniel has driven complete garbage and done well, just look back to his HRT drives. He dominated Vettel in his first year driving a difficult to drive Renault powered red Bull. I think Lando is exaggerating or playing mind games.
"In downforce we trust"

BMMR61

Last year around Silverstone Carlos complained that he suspected his Renault PU was down on power. After that he got the upper hand on Lando but the team as far as I’m aware never made any statement on their findings. I suspect we may not hear if anything untoward is discovered with Dan’s chassis. Maybe the proof will be in the results if he gets a new chassis.

Emag
Emag

BMMR61 wrote:
26 May 2021, 13:50
Last year around Silverstone Carlos complained that he suspected his Renault PU was down on power. After that he got the upper hand on Lando but the team as far as I’m aware never made any statement on their findings. I suspect we may not hear if anything untoward is discovered with Dan’s chassis. Maybe the proof will be in the results if he gets a new chassis.
I seem to recall the team making a statement about Carlos' power unit after they changed it but I can't find anything right now.

radosav
radosav

BMMR61 wrote:
his power unit was overheating so they tried many things and at the end they change it one race earlier and problem was gone

JPower
JPower

BMMR61 wrote:
His PU was overheating leading to power loss. McLaren is usually pretty transparent when it comes to car issues. They would definitely say something in order to protect Daniel’s image and boost his confidence.

mwillems

djos wrote:
26 May 2021, 13:29
Daniel has driven complete garbage and done well, just look back to his HRT drives. He dominated Vettel in his first year driving a difficult to drive Renault powered red Bull. I think Lando is exaggerating or playing mind games.
I think his on track confidence is reaching to his mouth temporarily (I hope).

He's been getting cockier over the past month including a poorly phrased interview in which he doesn't care that Daniel is struggling. He should care as he needs his team to be up there with Ferrari, and because he could learn from a stiff challange from Ricci.

I'm all for being ruthless on track, not so much for being a tw*t off it. He seems to be moulding towards Max Verstappen in his forthright views. I hope it stops and he gets over his own successes, because he's not actually achieved that much in F1 yet, no disrespect intended.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

e30ernest
e30ernest

Yeah I don't think they'd give Daniel an inferior car, especially at this stage of the championship. They need both drivers to cement their spot as the third best team.

billamend
billamend

mwillems wrote:
26 May 2021, 14:16

He's been getting cockier over the past month including a poorly phrased interview in which he doesn't care that Daniel is struggling. He should care as he needs his team to be up there with Ferrari, and because he could learn from a stiff challange from Ricci.

I'm all for being ruthless on track, not so much for being a tw*t off it. He seems to be moulding towards Max Verstappen in his forthright views. I hope it stops and he gets over his own successes, because he's not actually achieved that much in F1 yet, no disrespect intended.

JPower
JPower

mwillems wrote:
djos wrote:

The head canon you guys make up is unparalleled. :lol:

MrGapes

JPower wrote:
26 May 2021, 14:43
mwillems wrote:
djos wrote:

The head canon you guys make up is unparalleled. :lol:
This is just my opinion... a lot of the stuff I see on the internet of Lando being "disrespectful" always seems to be taken out of context or blown out of proportion... like last week when Lando called Daniel old which was in comparison to Carlos, like no sh*t he's older, I don't see the offence, I do think he should hold back on some comments about his struggles to adapt to the car etc., but some of the bashing he gets is just incredible sometimes

Macklaren
Macklaren

i thought it was interesting that he said that he is not on social media anymore and has a handler doing that for him now. That is smart and keeps the vitriol away

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

In regards to Daniel’s struggle at Monaco, I was looking at the telemetry for his fastest lap versus Lando’s (I wish I could post it here, but I was asked not to share or distribute it) and noticed a few interesting things:

- Daniel had more top speed coming into Turn 1 and Turn 10
- One of the biggest differences in the laps came in the transition from Turn 3 to Turn 4, where Lando applies up to ~95% Throttle compared to Daniel applying ~65% Throttle
- The only corner in the lap where Daniel achieves more corner speed is in Turns 15-16.
- They match their gear changes with the exception of the exit of Turn 16, where Lando stays in 4th Gear while Daniel upshifts to 5th before Turn 18.
- The biggest difference throughout the lap is in terms of braking performance... Lando consistently brakes later than Daniel and in some cases he is also releasing the brakes a bit earlier... In the Turn 3 - Turn 4 transition for example, while Daniel brakes earlier and longer, Lando brakes later, for a shorter period and then applies the brakes again while Daniel is still on the brakes (maybe that’s the reason for the difference in corner speed here, which is the largest difference in the lap).
- Lando lost his chances to P2 probably in the Turn 15-16 section, where even though Daniel and Lando are matched in terms of their initial braking point and time on the brakes, Lando has to apply the brakes again (just a tap) which also explains why Daniel is faster in this section compared to Lando.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwillems

billamend wrote:
26 May 2021, 14:38
mwillems wrote:

Yeah he's don some on track interviews, it's the other type of statements coming out that bother me.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mclaren Unboxed for Monaco:

Mclarensenna

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 May 2021, 17:14
In regards to Daniel’s struggle at Monaco, I was looking at the telemetry for his fastest lap versus Lando’s (I wish I could post it here, but I was asked not to share or distribute it) and noticed a few interesting things:

- Daniel had more top speed coming into Turn 1 and Turn 10
- One of the biggest differences in the laps came in the transition from Turn 3 to Turn 4, where Lando applies up to ~95% Throttle compared to Daniel applying ~65% Throttle
- The only corner in the lap where Daniel achieves more corner speed is in Turns 15-16.
- They match their gear changes with the exception of the exit of Turn 16, where Lando stays in 4th Gear while Daniel upshifts to 5th before Turn 18.
- The biggest difference throughout the lap is in terms of braking performance... Lando consistently brakes later than Daniel and in some cases he is also releasing the brakes a bit earlier... In the Turn 3 - Turn 4 transition for example, while Daniel brakes earlier and longer, Lando brakes later, for a shorter period and then applies the brakes again while Daniel is still on the brakes (maybe that’s the reason for the difference in corner speed here, which is the largest difference in the lap).
- Lando lost his chances to P2 probably in the Turn 15-16 section, where even though Daniel and Lando are matched in terms of their initial braking point and time on the brakes, Lando has to apply the brakes again (just a tap) which also explains why Daniel is faster in this section compared to Lando.

wow you have access to the telemetry? How did you manage that?
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.