Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Waz wrote:
13 Jul 2024, 12:24
That's such a great point. Something like this has never happened before has it? A rival engineer getting the full bells and whistles tour of almost all the factories
Getting all the inside info about development and possibly engines for 2026.

Imagine if he signs back at Red Bull.

quincalla
quincalla

He's only gotten a tour of AM. Not sure where you're getting "almost all the factories" from.

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

r85 wrote:
16 Jul 2024, 12:02
https://formu1a.uno/it/retroscena-red-b ... etto-rb20/

From the article: Pierre Wache wanted to change the mechanical air compromise to gain performance especially at low and medium speeds but without losing ground at high speeds.

To do this, important decisions have also been made regarding the cooling system, since Red Bull moved most of the cooling inputs to high-pressure areasfreeing the inlet of the bellies to maximise the flow above the bottom and, at the same time, optimising the outbursts in the few low-pressure zones in the back of the RB20.

Just about that, it's curious how Adrian Newey was strongly opposed to many elements currently on the RB20, some of the cooling included. Last May, as he resigned, he told Sky Sports UK that the RB20 did not fully convince him, having above all a feature that he was not at all satisfied with and that "It's something that's going to change later in the season or more likely next year.".

Newey did not agree with the strong extremes of cooling, so much so that, according to a source very close to the British engineer, even... "hates those entrances on the side of the Halo" introduced in Japan.
When I read these kind of things I really wonder how competitive Red Bull will be without Newey. Doesn't look good to me, and if they don't turn it around soon I can see Max losing faith in the team real fast and leaving..

Cassius
Cassius

A bit strange that when he said this to Sky Sports no media picked up on this, while 2 months later after it appears on an Italian site, every news outlet is bringing this as breaking news.

I had never seen this quote from Sky. Newey also doesn't seem the person to vent this to the media based on his always deliberate and cautious words when talking about car development, car launches etc.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Cassius wrote:
16 Jul 2024, 13:46
A bit strange that when he said this to Sky Sports no media picked up on this, while 2 months later after it appears on an Italian site, every news outlet is bringing this as breaking news.
It's not that strange, there was a media feeding frenzy in the lead up to Newey via Eddie Jordan getting out of the Red Bull contract. I think it's breaking news now given the RB20 has fallen off a performance cliff compared to the RB19.
I had never seen this quote from Sky. Newey also doesn't seem the person to vent this to the media based on his always deliberate and cautious words when talking about car development, car launches etc.
He's cautious when he doesn't want to give the game away about what his design philosophy is for a set of regulations. Given he's left Red Bull? I think that's just Newey giving an honest assessment of the issues with the RB20 and his frustration with Horner and others minimising his role in the current generation of RB cars bubbling to the surface in his answer.

We'll see how good Wache and co are without Newey's input.

I suspect that Eddie Jordan is stirring the pot a bit to distract the press from what Newey is doing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Newey returns to McLaren, the team is different to the Ron Dennis era McLaren, and it's done the hard stuff that Aston Martin is still working through. Ferrari is still a possibility, but I'm not sure if he'd want to deal with the political side of Ferrari. If you believe the reports, September is when Newey is free to announce what he's doing next. He's either still weighing up his options or a decision has been made.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

I think the Ferrari move is pretty much out. There is power struggle at Ferrari. So I don't think AN wants to be involved with that sort of thing.

basti313
basti313

SirBastianVettel wrote:
16 Jul 2024, 12:25
r85 wrote:
16 Jul 2024, 12:02
https://formu1a.uno/it/retroscena-red-b ... etto-rb20/

From the article: Pierre Wache wanted to change the mechanical air compromise to gain performance especially at low and medium speeds but without losing ground at high speeds.

To do this, important decisions have also been made regarding the cooling system, since Red Bull moved most of the cooling inputs to high-pressure areasfreeing the inlet of the bellies to maximise the flow above the bottom and, at the same time, optimising the outbursts in the few low-pressure zones in the back of the RB20.

Just about that, it's curious how Adrian Newey was strongly opposed to many elements currently on the RB20, some of the cooling included. Last May, as he resigned, he told Sky Sports UK that the RB20 did not fully convince him, having above all a feature that he was not at all satisfied with and that "It's something that's going to change later in the season or more likely next year.".

Newey did not agree with the strong extremes of cooling, so much so that, according to a source very close to the British engineer, even... "hates those entrances on the side of the Halo" introduced in Japan.
When I read these kind of things I really wonder how competitive Red Bull will be without Newey. Doesn't look good to me, and if they don't turn it around soon I can see Max losing faith in the team real fast and leaving..
I still smell BS on this "essay", sorry. It is totally normal that a technical team disagrees and "fights" for optimal solutions. And within budget limits, of course the car can not "convince" and needs to get later upgrades.
For me the background sounds completely normal, it is just an essay that makes a story out of nothing.
Don`t russel the hamster!

leblanc
leblanc

Jdn1327 wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 09:41
I think the Ferrari move is pretty much out. There is power struggle at Ferrari. So I don't think AN wants to be involved with that sort of thing.
I would consider it more that Newey would cause a power struggle, with Vigna. And, Vigna is not interested in relinquishing control in the areas Newey wants it. Typical Ferrari CEO things lol.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Jdn1327 wrote:
I hate how quickly unreliable reports become gospel in F1.

We have no idea what's actually going on behind the scenes here. Not at Ferrari, or with Newey or whatever.

Not to toot my own horn too much here, but this was my comment at the beginning of this whole topic:

There's gonna be so many different rumors swirling around all this. I'm just gonna sit and wait til something more concrete comes out before getting overly excited about anything.

And that's exactly what has happened. And STILL the mindset I'm going with here, given how little we actually know about anything at all. We all should have learned how silly coming to any conclusions about the situation is at the moment.

dialtone
dialtone

leblanc wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 05:16
Jdn1327 wrote:
I would consider it more that Newey would cause a power struggle, with Vigna. And, Vigna is not interested in relinquishing control in the areas Newey wants it. Typical Ferrari CEO things lol.
That's ridiculous, Vigna doesn't matter. Vasseur and Elkann have been driving F1 decisions for the past many many months.

Nobody knows what is going on here and what is the situation nor if those leaks are even remotely true. For example the updated version of that leak is that it's not Vigna that is the issue, nor Newey's salary but that Newey wants 20 people with him that would require Ferrari to completely redo all of their technical ranks, aside from the obvious budget cap problems that a move of the kind would introduce.

Every time something is a bit off with Ferrari it goes back to Vigna... It's ridiculous now, he's not even invited at the races lol.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Stop the bickering. Thanks
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

KimiRai
KimiRai

Newey has chosen Aston Martin according to Autosprint

bauc

Well, Mclaren ''don't'' need him, it was always a choice between Ferrari and AM, and if it is AM indeed, this is their last hurrah and if they don't make it work, they will bust out and sell.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Dunlay
Dunlay

bauc wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 15:42
Well, Mclaren ''don't'' need him, it was always a choice between Ferrari and AM, and if it is AM indeed, this is their last hurrah and if they don't make it work, they will bust out and sell.
I don't understand these voices of "bust out and sell". With the cost cap in place, every F1 team is profitable and the brands get insane amount of marketing value from their presence on F1 grid for zero investment. Gone are the days when Toyotas used to spend $500+ million dollars without any success. Whether AM succeeds or not, they get profit and the marketing benefits for zero cost for the AM brand. Heck, the way things are, even Williams and Haas won't sell their teams.

Mattchu

Adrian Newey is a very smart operator, he more than likely knew, from instinct and experience, that as soon as Dietrich Mateschitz passed away, the Red Bull team wasn`t going to be supported to the extent it was when the multi-billionaire was still going strong!

He now sees another multi-billionaire in Lawrance Stroll, a guy who`s prepared to throw, pretty much whatever it takes at Aston Martin to make the project a success. Lest not forget, they are also backed by Aramco, one of the biggest companies in the world.

The facilities Aston Martin are building are absolutely top notch, state of the art, as witnessed by anyone watching their on-site building reports.
With Newey potentially on board they`re showing they mean business and will be a major player in F1 in the near future...