2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Big Tea wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 12:03
Sayeman wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 11:46
Big Tea wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 10:44

Unless the option is 'no seat'?
If he is replaced at Renault, and the boss team at RBR have no seat, his options are reserve driver or STR, or somewhere else.
I thought Mclaren wanted him?
Is he not still contracted to Red Bull? If they say they want him, they can stop him going there if they say they need him for a test/spare driver. I don't think they would, but if they want to lever him into the STR, thy may 'suggest' it
There's no way his clause doesn't stipulate a race seat specifically. Look at who his father is, he knows his way around motorsports!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 12:24
Big Tea wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 12:03
Sayeman wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 11:46

I thought Mclaren wanted him?
Is he not still contracted to Red Bull? If they say they want him, they can stop him going there if they say they need him for a test/spare driver. I don't think they would, but if they want to lever him into the STR, thy may 'suggest' it
There's no way his clause doesn't stipulate a race seat specifically. Look at who his father is, he knows his way around motorsports!!
You are probably right, they were in a good negotiation position when he moved, so would not have had to take a pot.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

etusch

Will it be usable for Toro Rosso too?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... 64465/?s=1

Revs84
Revs84

And the situation with Key gets even more complicated... #-o

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro ... o-1064733/

HPD

So, could James Key work on the 2019 car or not? He will go to Mclaren, but we do not know when.
Skyf1 reported that James Key was not present in the TR garage

dren

etusch wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 13:05
Will it be usable for Toro Rosso too?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... 64465/?s=1

I would think not due to different PUs.
Honda!

etusch

He is in vacation according to the news. İf his motivation is working for Mclaren redbull can keep him away from the team but want to stay away from other F1 teams too until the and of contract.

HPD

etusch wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 20:27
He is in vacation according to the news. İf his motivation is working for Mclaren redbull can keep him away from the team but want to stay away from other F1 teams too until the and of contract.
Thanks, I just read it.
Asked if Key is on gardening leave, he said: "As far as I know he's on holiday at the moment, and we won't put him in a position where he gets all the latest information, that's clear."
Marko also downplayed suggestions that Red Bull would use the situation to get access to Lando Norris, having sounded out McLaren
"It's a very clear situation, if they don't put him in an F1 seat by September 30th, he is a free, so what do you want to deal?"
What he says about Norris is quite true.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

HPD wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 20:36
etusch wrote:
Thanks, I just read it.
Asked if Key is on gardening leave, he said: "As far as I know he's on holiday at the moment, and we won't put him in a position where he gets all the latest information, that's clear."
Marko also downplayed suggestions that Red Bull would use the situation to get access to Lando Norris, having sounded out McLaren
"It's a very clear situation, if they don't put him in an F1 seat by September 30th, he is a free, so what do you want to deal?"
Someone on the Mclaren thread said according to Albert Fabrega, Key has a clause for the end of 2018.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

etusch

Ground Effect wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 20:48
HPD wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 20:36
etusch wrote:
Thanks, I just read it.
Someone on the Mclaren thread said according to Albert Fabrega, Key has a clause for the end of 2018.
If there is that kind of clause, what is base of Redbull statements ?
Whatever. This is not a rescue move for mclaren and also not a damage for Toro Rosso. Just a transfer.

rogazilla
rogazilla

Probably does more harm to McLaren than TR have Key in holding pattern.

TR will need less development for 2019 as was already stated rear end will be a copy of red bull and share many parts. It would have hurt TR but I guess if they are working on 2019 car, it is a collaborative effort right now with Redbull by sharing the information of Honda dimension and such.

McLaren on the other hand, wont have key's input until end of the season which means they have to work on the car without him. Although I wouldn't be surprised McL would be able to send some info and get him to work on something somehow... but then again its brave to do that when key isn't the employee yet until end of season. But I am still glad for McL for the move, I think this is a solid hire given the field.

techman
techman

honestly personally they should give key and bring in nando soon. TR need points from two potent drivers.

makecry
makecry

techman wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 07:56
honestly personally they should give key and bring in nando soon. TR need points from two potent drivers.
Nando? please tell me that was a mistake.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

makecry wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 08:35
techman wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 07:56
Nando? please tell me that was a mistake.
I think he meant Lando..
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

techman
techman

Nando? please tell me that was a mistake
knowing me, you can probably answer that question by yourself. :lol: