Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: Red Bull RB20

djos wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 09:31
Interesting theory, my only critique is that the weight of the added plumbing would be why no one has ever done this.

I would suggest those slots are cooling for the battery and electronics which are much closer to that area that the ICE is.
Very well could be, and it could be an S-duct or some other type of duct. But the coincidence of finding slot where an engine intake is, oddly, permitted, seemed like too much of a coincidence. A question would be, why did Ferrari choose the S-duct if it's permissible to also place engine intakes there.
𓄀

haza
haza

Interesting that just as teams are all converging in concept McLaren and redbull decide to go another direction with the overbite it’s a lot more sculpted and pronounced on the RBR, makes you wonder if Mcl and RBR have realised there not much more to benefit from the underbite concept

organic

vorticism wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 09:37
djos wrote:
Interesting theory, my only critique is that the weight of the added plumbing would be why no one has ever done this.

I would suggest those slots are cooling for the battery and electronics which are much closer to that area that the ICE is.
Very well could be, and it could be an S-duct or some other type of duct. But the coincidence of finding slot where an engine intake is, oddly, permitted, seemed like too much of a coincidence. A question would be, why did Ferrari choose the S-duct if it's permissible to also place engine intakes there.
Well RB are switching their engine from RBPT0001 which was run for 2 years to RBPT0002 this year. Maybe this new name designation reflects the new inlets :mrgreen:

My only question is... the rb20 roll hoop inlet is bigger than last year - if they had vertical engine inlets in the undercut would they not make the roll hoop inlet smaller?

Blackout

organic wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 09:42
vorticism wrote:
djos wrote:

Well RB are switching their engine from RBPT0001 which was run for 2 years to RBPT0002 this year. Maybe this new name designation reflects the new inlets :mrgreen:

My only question is... the rb20 roll hoop inlet is bigger than last year - if they had vertical engine inlets in the undercut would they not make the roll hoop inlet smaller?
They could use it for even more centerline cooling...
RB seems to be fond of big centerline cooling systems
Last edited by Blackout on 17 Feb 2024, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

vorticism wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 09:25
What’s that, anon? You didn’t know it’s it’s been legal to use two engine air intakes since 2014? I’m reasonably confident that Red Bull might been the first team to finally try it. I’ve illustrated the concept below.
All well and good until the engine starts ingesting dirt and rubber from track :mrgreen: That's a lot bigger issue than placing engine intake in a thick boundary layer, which is also an issue of course.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

djos

djos wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why would someone negatively rate a respectful counterpoint to a proposal?

#-o
"In downforce we trust"

vorticism

organic wrote:
vorticism wrote:
djos wrote:

More centerline cooling should permit smaller sidepod inlets. The Merc type pretzel shape intake on the RB20 may simply be about mass efficiency. IIRC the A shaped center section is the roll structure, an ideal structural shape, and the ears are supplemental CF bodywork for fine tuning the flow. If so that would allow them to test use various ear sizes per circuit demands.

If not that, then maybe it's a ruse. Of all the parts of the car that might be fake for launch I would say it would be the roll hoop. If they revealed RB20 with a roll hoop that had one large undivided inlet, it might have tipped people off.

The nose is real, the sidepods are real, and the shoulders are real, I'll say that much. The nose regs are watertight.
djos wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 09:52
djos wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why would someone negatively rate a respectful counterpoint to a proposal?

#-o
Wasn't me, I can say that much for sure. My voting was switched off due to ongoing administrative issues on this forum. Regardless, what you said was correct, the purpose of the slot is still unconfirmed.

Yes it does add weight, at least conceptually. Two pipes are heavier than one. Place much lower though than a snorkel type nacelle, however you lose some of that CoG advantage with more centerline cooling.
𓄀

Cs98
Cs98

organic wrote:
vorticism wrote:
djos wrote:

Because there are no vertical inlets in the undercut, that was a diversion for the launch. These vertical inlets are still nowhere to be seen in the pretty decent pictures we have from the track day, but there are hints of tiny horizontal inlets under the sidepod, similar to the render released. The increase in size of the roll hoop inlet is due to the shrinking of the sidepod inlets.

djos

vorticism wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 10:03
djos wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 09:52
djos wrote:

#-o
Wasn't me, I can say that much for sure. My voting was switched off due to ongoing administrative issues on this forum. Regardless, what you said was correct, the purpose of the slot is still unconfirmed.

Yes it does add weight, at least conceptually. Two pipes are heavier than one. Place much lower though than a snorkel type nacelle, however you lose some of that CoG advantage with more centerline cooling.
Yeah I wasn’t singling anyone out, especially not you as you know how to have a good debate. 8)

That’s a good point, I wish we had enough data to calculate the pros and cons.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

Cs98 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 10:11
Because there are no vertical inlets in the undercut, that was a diversion for the launch. These vertical inlets are still nowhere to be seen in the pretty decent pictures we have from the track day, but there are hints of tiny horizontal inlets under the sidepod, similar to the render released. The increase in size of the roll hoop inlet is due to the shrinking of the sidepod inlets.
The vertical inlets aren't a diversion, and are faintly visible in some Silverstone pics for instance

Last edited by organic on 17 Feb 2024, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

Cs98
Cs98

organic wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 10:16
Cs98 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 10:11
The vertical inlets aren't a diversion, and are faintly visible in some Silverstone pics for instance

https://i.imgur.com/gy1B3HE.jpeg
Hadn't seen that one. There's a hint then. I'd still wager the vertical ones don't go to any radiators hence why you see the small horizontal inlet and slightly increased roll hoop inlet.

vorticism

organic wrote:

They are very clear in the studio shots/vids.
𓄀

organic

vorticism wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 10:23
organic wrote:

Agreed. I think djos was pointing out that they put other things on the car for the studio eg floor cover, speculated sidepod cover, so fake vertical inlets could be a possibility

But when we look back at Silverstone pics they are occasionally visible

And yes my view is also that it's an s-duct even though your theory is wonderful. Although I'm not sure it's in the volume for the s-duct to be permitted

Cs98
Cs98

organic wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 08:49
Almost certain there's a panel/cover on top sidepod surface which is hiding a deeper waterslide.

The way the cover interfaces with engine cover is not correct for RB bodywork - just look higher up the sidepod. It's essentially taped into place, not dissimilar to box cover they had on floor edge

https://i.imgur.com/8UENCFN.jpeg

Silverstone test images from angles at which this panel should be visible (if it was there when they ran on track)

https://i.imgur.com/8TX0kWN.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/V8wL2HQ.jpeg

Look at where the Red Bull sticker is placed on launch vs Silverstone car. Similar area yet in Silverstone test pic the panel should be intersecting the logo or at least getting near the 'd' of 'Red' but it's nowhere to be seen

Additional perhaps controversial theory

Unlikely but possible outlet spotted? It's in the volume it could be housed within and the bulge that could be an outlet is visible on multiple photos of the car at Silverstone but there's no feature at the launch that would show such a bulge.

https://i.imgur.com/JLLHHM6.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/Efkz4Ed.jpeg
No super obvious waterslide in that region, it's possible they ran with a masking panel on track too. Or some trickery with hiding something else, outlet perhaps.
Last edited by Cs98 on 17 Feb 2024, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

vorticism

organic wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 10:25
vorticism wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 10:23
organic wrote:

Agreed. I think djos was pointing out that they put other things on the car for the studio eg floor cover, speculated sidepod cover, so fake vertical inlets could be a possibility

But when we look back at Silverstone pics they are occasionally visible

https://i.imgur.com/SPMUy5n.jpeg

And yes my view is also that it's an s-duct. Although I'm not sure it's in the volume for that to be permitted
If I'm right then there will be more centerline cooling which raises the center of mass. If the pretzel intake offers the best rigidity:weight ratio then that could explain why they've chosen it, as they'd be trying to remove some mass from the taller parts of the car.
𓄀