2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

To me it's a long-term project to bring this team to the top still. Vasseur needs to assert himself as the ultimate authority and earn trust of his higher ups. Only then can you mount for championships realistically and without meddling.

Attitudes have to change throughout the company. Prior to budget cap the team spent the most and had little to show for it in 14 years. And in the last 4 years the car has only spent half a season better than 3rd quickest. So I hope Vasseur tears it all down if possible

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vasseur needs to increase the quality of the Technical Team (and the Team behind race operations) by a lot in order to be ready in 2025 for the 2026 car.

This regulation cycle is now gone. There is no way Ferrari (or everyone else) will be able to close the current gap (around 1s) plus whatever RB will find with the RB 20 and RB 21.

Xwang
Xwang

Xyz22 wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 15:40
Vasseur needs to increase the quality of the Technical Team (and the Team behind race operations) by a lot in order to be ready in 2025 for the 2026 car.

This regulation cycle is now gone. There is no way Ferrari (or everyone else) will be able to close the current gap (around 1s) plus whatever RB will find with the RB 20 and RB 21.
The same was for RB which was able to win the last year of previous rule cycle after Mercedes had been dominant for 7 years ...

Xyz22
Xyz22

Xwang wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 15:45
Xyz22 wrote:

The same was for RB which was able to win the last year of previous rule cycle after Mercedes had been dominant for 7 years ...
There was a major change in the 2021 regulations regarding floor geometry. Nothing is planned at the moment for 24 and 25. Are there any cases in which teams were able to close such a gap within the same technical conditions ? I didn't find any. Moreover, Ferrari is not Red Bull which is a much much better team.

We need to be realistic. RB has won 17 races in 2022 and in 2023 is 12/12. There is absolutely no way that Mercedes and Ferrari will be able to catch them if nothing changes in the regulations. It's highly likely that they will win 90 / 95 % of races in 2024 and 2025 as well. People should prepare for such a scenario because, at the moment, it's very likely.

Xwang
Xwang

Xyz22 wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 15:49
Xwang wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:

There was a major change in the 2021 regulations with the floor geometry. Nothing is planned at the moment for 24 and 25. Are there any cases in which teams were able to close such a gap within the same technical conditions ? I didn't find any. Moreover, Ferrari is not Red Bull which is a much much better than Ferrari.
The 2021 change was not planned before mid 2020, nobody knows what will happen in next years. As in every competition if someone decide not to compete (meaning that doesn't do every effort to improve as you are suggesting Ferrari to do if I have understood correctly), for sure will not improve or win. Ferrari has already dropped the ball in 2020 waiting for 2022 and we have seen the awful results (half year of competitiveness only due to having based the project on a gray zone ... TD arrived ... Competitiveness disappeared). Maybe is better to do a step by step approach. In the past Ferrari started from awful 1992 season, Jean Tidy arrived in 1993, then in 1994, 1995 Ferrari already showed improvement, 1996 Schumacher joined too, competitiveness still improved and in 1999 they won the constructors title even without rules chenges which were made in 1998

Xyz22
Xyz22

Xwang wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 16:01
Xyz22 wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 15:49
Xwang wrote:

There was a major change in the 2021 regulations with the floor geometry. Nothing is planned at the moment for 24 and 25. Are there any cases in which teams were able to close such a gap within the same technical conditions ? I didn't find any. Moreover, Ferrari is not Red Bull which is a much much better than Ferrari.
The 2021 change was not planned before mid 2020, nobody knows what will happen in next years. As in every competition if someone decide not to compete (meaning that doesn't do every effort to improve as you are suggesting Ferrari to do if I have understood correctly), for sure will not improve or win. Ferrari has already dropped the ball in 2020 waiting for 2022 and we have seen the awful results (half year of competitiveness only due to having based the project on a gray zone ... TD arrived ... Competitiveness disappeared). Maybe is better to do a step by step approach. In the past Ferrari started from awful 1992 season, Jean Tidy arrived in 1993, then in 1994, 1995 Ferrari already showed improvement, 1996 Schumacher joined too, competitiveness still improved and in 1999 they won the constructors title even without rules chenges which were made in 1998
Oh no i'm not saying Ferrari should give up, not at all but that we need to be realistic about what can be done in 2024 and 2025. Closing such a gap within the same regulations set would require something probably never seen before in Formula 1 and we know the weaknesses of Ferrari Team as a whole. Therefore, Vasseur first goal is to increase the quality and reduce/eliminate those weaknesses in order to have a Team capable of delivering on a regular basis which realistically will take years.

I think winning a race on pure pace within the next 2 years would already be a really good result. It seems to me that people are not realizing how far ahead RB is at the moment.

MachineCo.
MachineCo.

It might not be that much of an exaggeration to think that Ferrari could win races or be competitive in the coming years. They have shown pace in qualy so, really, they just need to be able to transfer that speed to race pace.
Maybe a long shot, but hopefully they can figure it out.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Vasseur happy to keep both drivers going forward but hasn't started talks yet, it seems, as the car is the focus at the moment.
The Frenchman is happy to retain both drivers beyond 2024 but says the priority is on this season - and developing their car, not driver contracts.

“Why not? But we will start talking towards the end of the season and they both know it well,” he added. “I told him as soon as I arrived. Today the only priority is to develop the car.”
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1033756/1 ... n-red-bull
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

MachineCo. wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 17:56
It might not be that much of an exaggeration to think that Ferrari could win races or be competitive in the coming years. They have shown pace in qualy so, really, they just need to be able to transfer that speed to race pace.
Maybe a long shot, but hopefully they can figure it out.
Ferrari has usually been capable of winning races, it is as often as not self inflicted when they are in a position to do so and do not.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

organic

Schwartzman will drive fp1 for Ferrari @ Zandvoort.

Why in Holland? " There wasn't much choice , as you can't do Singapore, Japan and Las Vegas, and there are also sprint events in Qatar, and races with different tire allocations." However, many have wondered why Ferrari F2 drivers are not employed. Vasseur was very clear on this point of view, talking about private tests for them over the next few weeks. “They have to focus on the F2 championship, we will try to give them opportunities to test the 2021 car or something else before the end of the season. But I want to push them to concentrate on F2″ stated the French engineer.
Last edited by organic on 23 Aug 2023, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.

organic

No upgrades for Zandvoort/Monza, but upgrades after that before the end of the season.

Engine on track

Says that Carlos' management will talk "soon" with ferrari about contracts & that they have 4-5 months to sort it

https://formu1a.uno/vasseur-vettura-202 ... e-a-monza/

Vasseur: “Very different 2024 car. Updates on the SF-23 but not in Holland and Monza"

The Ferrari SF-23 was the car that should have tried to bring at least one of the two world titles back to Maranello. Instead, it immediately proved to be a problematic car , which on the track did not show the good things that came out of the instruments in the Maranello factory, so much so that the CEO, Benedetto Vigna, defined it on the day of the presentation as a "single-seater that it will be unprecedented in terms of speed”. Sometimes, the teams see important improvements in the tunnel and on the simulator, but then they go to the track and it's all too sensitive . What happened last year to Mercedes, this year to Ferrari and more in the short term to Aston Martin. It is the great difficulty of these regulations where, "the flow structures under each car are more complicated and much more volatile" than the previous generation, to quote Mercedes' Andrew Shovlin. This requires a completely different approach from the teams.
Vasseur: “There will be a carry-over between the SF-23 and the 2024 car, a totally different project starting from the chassis.”
Vasseur confirmed that further updates will be seen on the SF-23 between now and the end of the season, but not in Holland and Monza. “ We still have some updates to introduce, but later, before the end of the season”. Regarding the 2024 project, he immediately wanted to be clear: the SF-23 and next year's car will not share the same chassis . "The 2024 project is totally different, we will have a carry-over between the two cars but it won't concern the chassis and bodywork" said the French manager.
A car that will follow the concepts brought to the track by Red Bull, now by many other teams, but not only because they are also working on their own innovations in Maranello . Regarding the RB19, Vasseur believes that the Anglo-Austrian car does not have a single area where it is much stronger than the other cars.“I think they are stronger everywhere and are getting the most out of every macro area: riders, engine, chassis, aerodynamics, suspension, strategy. I think it would be a mistake to say they are much better than us in this or that sector. Rather we must try to make the best of what we have in every single sector and take a small step forward everywhere. We're talking about two tenths, it could be two tenths of aerodynamics but in reality I think it's more a matter of cents that come from many areas".
The French manager then wanted to comment on the situation that sees Lewis Hamilton still without a valid contract for next season. " I think it's the same situation as the last 10 years with Lewis , I'm in discussions and I don't know what the problem is, if there is a problem." However, he was keen to reiterate that these are not discussions that concern him. Those on a possible renewal of Carlos Sainz, however, yes, so much so that he wanted to throw water on the fire about a Spanish rider who is a bit in the shade since we talk about renewal.“I think that with Carlos we are in line on everything. We have 18 months to discuss and we want to start next season with a clear situation with our riders. This means that we will have to talk about it before the end of this season, but we still have 4 or 5 months ahead of us to decide. However we are completely on the same line of thought with Carlos and the management of him and we will talk soon ”.
Vasseur and Marko's words on the 2026 engines: “His is just a little game. We are pushing, but like everyone I believe.”
In recent days, Helmut Marko has released statements to the German media that have caused a lot of talk, especially with regard to the situation which, according to the Austrian manager, sees Ferrari and Audi lagging behind on the development of the 2026 engines . doing Helmut, I don't want to comment on the situation of the others because we are pushing and I think we are in a good situation.” – did know Vasseur – “We certainly want to do better and better, develop more, have more options and be ahead but it is the same for everyone and I sincerely want to avoid making comments on the situation of others”.
From the recent rumors collected, it has emerged that especially Mercedes is doing quite well today with the development of the next generation of drive units , with Red Bull immediately behind, and Ferrari slightly detached but without any concern about it, at least after hearing from Vasseur. “Our development is going well, we certainly want to do more, like everyone on the grid, it's the mentality of an F1 team: if you give the guys something they will want more, this mentality is very important but we are following the plan and we are even ahead of schedule and everything is ok on our part”. The one who is suffering the most is certainly Audi.
Free practice 1 for Ferrari rookies: Robert Shwartzman will be in the Netherlands on Sainz's SF-23
With regard to the two mandatory free practice sessions for the Rookies to be carried out, Ferrari had not used any slots up to Belgium. He will do it in Holland. In fact, Robert Shwartzman will take the place of Carlos Sainz during the first free practice next weekend. While, probably in Abu Dhabi, it will be the second opportunity for the Russian driver to drive the SF23, this time by Charles Leclerc.
Why in Holland? " There wasn't much choice , as you can't do Singapore, Japan and Las Vegas, and there are also sprint events in Qatar, and races with different tire allocations." However, many have wondered why Ferrari F2 drivers are not employed. Vasseur was very clear on this point of view, talking about private tests for them over the next few weeks. “They have to focus on the F2 championship, we will try to give them opportunities to test the 2021 car or something else before the end of the season. But I want to push them to concentrate on F2″ stated the French engineer.

In conclusion, a joke on the budget cap issue could not be missing , where the three teams Ferrari is struggling with in the Constructors (Red Bull, Mercedes, Aston Martin) were asked for additions/clarifications to the budgets presented. “ In July, the FIA ​​informed us that the results of the cost cap will arrive by the beginning of September. I have full faith in the FIA ​​and I expect them to come with the cost cap results according to plan ” concluded an always diplomatic TP Ferrari.

Vanja #66

They may have decided to delay the Monza bodywork update to further refine it. It was said to be even bigger than Barcelona package. An unusual amount of fairly correct rumours reach the media, that's not good and shows there is still a lack of complete control of information leak in Ferrari.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 21:55
Vasseur happy to keep both drivers going forward but hasn't started talks yet, it seems, as the car is the focus at the moment.
The Frenchman is happy to retain both drivers beyond 2024 but says the priority is on this season - and developing their car, not driver contracts.

“Why not? But we will start talking towards the end of the season and they both know it well,” he added. “I told him as soon as I arrived. Today the only priority is to develop the car.”
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1033756/1 ... n-red-bull
Keeping both Leclerc and Sainz is a bad idea. The Team should just pick one and make him first driver while not renewing the other. Sainz is not a good 2nd driver and his driving style is very different from Leclerc. Not a good combination at all.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Leclerc today said what i said a few days ago.
We need to be realistic.

https://www.racefans.net/2023/08/24/lec ... fore-2026/

“That’s what we are trying to work towards but, for sure, they have a really big margin,” he said. “It’s going to be very, very difficult to catch them before the change of regulations.”

Red Bull have won 29 of the 34 grands prix held since the start of 2022

Vanja #66

We all know it will be very hard for any team, so other teams are now putting pressure on FIA by ruing the strength of RB, so hat FIA makes some minor regulation changes to reset RB advantage.

We also need to wait and see what happened with 2022 budget cap and which 3 teams broke it. If rumours are true, well... all hell will break loose
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie