2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

organic wrote:
29 May 2023, 17:20
Ground Effect wrote:
29 May 2023, 17:12
So to be clear, ther is no longer an upgrade scheduled for Canada as reported earlier? Is it now for Austria and Silverstone, or just Silverstone, since Austria js a sprint weekend?
Norris mentioned in his post-race interview Silverstone when referencing upgrades - nothing about Austria/Canada was said after Monaco from his side
Can’t find the quote. But I believe it was Stella that mentioned Austria and Silverstone for the 2 major updates that make the car almost b-spec

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
29 May 2023, 18:03
organic wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
29 May 2023, 17:12
So to be clear, ther is no longer an upgrade scheduled for Canada as reported earlier? Is it now for Austria and Silverstone, or just Silverstone, since Austria js a sprint weekend?
Norris mentioned in his post-race interview Silverstone when referencing upgrades - nothing about Austria/Canada was said after Monaco from his side
Can’t find the quote. But I believe it was Stella that mentioned Austria and Silverstone for the 2 major updates that make the car almost b-spec
I saw that as well, but couldn't remember if it was someone from McLaren or a journalist stating his opinion or belief. I'd be really surprised if they bring anything major on the car to Austria, with only one practice session. Especially if they bring a new floor, with those destructive kerbs.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
29 May 2023, 18:34
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
organic wrote:

I saw that as well, but couldn't remember if it was someone from McLaren or a journalist stating his opinion or belief. I'd be really surprised if they bring anything major on the car to Austria, with only one practice session. Especially if they bring a new floor, with those destructive kerbs.
It was Stella who announced it, link Below
mwillems wrote:
28 May 2023, 11:52
Contrary to previous statements, it is now Austria and Silverstone when the upgrades arrive.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/where-mcl ... cl60-spec/
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
29 May 2023, 18:43
Ground Effect wrote:
101FlyingDutchman wrote:

mwillems wrote:
Contrary to previous statements, it is now Austria and Silverstone when the upgrades arrive.

Aah thanks 👍
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

organic

Nice overtake missed by the broadcast

MTudor
MTudor

organic wrote:
29 May 2023, 22:51
https://youtu.be/SwaPUAnyN6g

They miss a lot from our cars!

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

organic wrote:
29 May 2023, 22:51
https://youtu.be/SwaPUAnyN6g

Very clean. Piastri on the hard tyres vs de Vries on the mediums.

M840TR
M840TR

mwillems wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
101FlyingDutchman wrote:

mwillems wrote:

Here it says between Austria and Silverstone. Then one after shutdown.

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
30 May 2023, 09:33
mwillems wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

mwillems wrote:

Here it says between Austria and Silverstone. Then one after shutdown.
Yes 2 upgrades before and one after the summer with no timeline for the after summer upgrade.

The sequence of races is Canada, Austria then Silverstone, and since we know previously it was 2 updates at Can and Sil, we understand that between Austria and Silverstone is the context of those 2 updates delivered to those two races, with Canada pushed back.

Previously Stella said this isn't optimal because the upgrades are very big and Austria a sprint race. Clearly this is better than introducing it at one race, and I think they have an eye on their home GP.

Mclaren consider the Aus and Sil upgrades as one upgrade in 2 parts, the rollout of a B spec.

-Bandit

mclaren111

How optimistic are we for Spain ? Will our current package work better here than Miami ?

djos

mclaren111 wrote:
30 May 2023, 11:50
How optimistic are we for Spain ? Will our current package work better here than Miami ?
Let’s hope it just needs some refinement to work well.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
Temperature and the track surface was as key as the low speed/high speed nature of the track, the car performs much better in the right conditions, more than it performs well on certain track configurations, it seems.

Barcelona is cooler than Miami but it not a track that traditionally offers a lot of grip.

Not to say the car doesn't have specific strengths and weaknesses, just that the conditions seems to drive the cars performance at least as much as the track config can, relative to others cars. Cooler temps than Miami and a high grip surface sees the car do well. Barcelona Has high speed corners that will suit us but also some trickier tight corners too, specifically the second to last (Although wasn't that reconfigured to make it less hairy..?).

Haven't a clue how we will do in Spain, I don't fully understand the cars behaviour. But Barcelona is a front limited track, we appear to be good at corner entry and under braking, it has some high speed corners which we are good at and it won't be hot, around 23c so.... There are reasons to be optimistic, for me at least!

That said, last years performance was middling so...

-Bandit

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
30 May 2023, 15:01
mclaren111 wrote:
Temperature and the track surface was as key as the low speed/high speed nature of the track, the car performs much better in the right conditions, more than it performs well on certain track configurations, it seems.

Barcelona is cooler than Miami but it not a track that traditionally offers a lot of grip.

Not to say the car doesn't have specific strengths and weaknesses, just that the conditions seems to drive the cars performance at least as much as the track config can, relative to others cars. Cooler temps than Miami and a high grip surface sees the car do well. Barcelona Has high speed corners that will suit us but also some trickier tight corners too, specifically the second to last (Although wasn't that reconfigured to make it less hairy..?).

Haven't a clue how we will do in Spain, I don't fully understand the cars behaviour. But Barcelona is a front limited track, we appear to be good at corner entry and under braking, it has some high speed corners which we are good at and it won't be hot, around 23c so.... There are reasons to be optimistic, for me at least!

Luckily they converted back to old layout & those pesky last two corners are no more... :D

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
30 May 2023, 15:19
mwillems wrote:
30 May 2023, 15:01
mclaren111 wrote:

Luckily they converted back to old layout & those pesky last two corners are no more... :D
Better for our car I guess, but I loved those corners. Even playing in the Codemasters F1 series those corners were a stark contrast to the rest of the lap and I loved them, even if they were really tricky.

I think even Brundle said that those corners put the fear of god into him and other drivers!

-Bandit

Mansell89
Mansell89

Anyone got thoughts on this appointment?