2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
F1Krof

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

vorticism wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 19:50
Here's a better angle of it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam ... mdensity=2
Wow, that's some rake they got going on there!
Wroom wroom

PlatinumZealot

Geoge did a swell job, but really want to see what HAM could do in this race. 2nd was on the cards maybe?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

ringo

I wonder if the chassis is cracked.
For Sure!!

chrisc90

ringo wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 21:32
I guess it was quite a landing to trigger the sensors for exceeding the G-limit before needing medical attention.

It must have had some adverse effect on the PU or the integral cooling to be told to stop the car. It also appeared to be smoking when he eventually parked up too

Cs98
Cs98

ringo wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 21:32
Might be. The whole rear end assembly with exhaust pipe, rear wing and beam wing was bending downwards under aerodynamic load after the crash. The whole thing just cracked. Also lost water pressure and was leaking fluid all over the track.

RZS10

You just have to watch it from Nando's onboard frame by frame, the entire car slides on the nose (just the left side of the front wing at first), hops over the curb, smashes into the ground so hard that it hops up again with both rear wheels, which then don't regain contact with the tarmac for almost half a second (21 or so frames in a 50 fps video, no slow mo) ... if he's lucky then it's just some clamps or hoses that went loose, worst case it's a new chassis and PU.

Big Tea

RZS10 wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 22:56
You just have to watch it from Nando's onboard frame by frame, the entire car slides on the nose (just the left side of the front wing at first), hops over the curb, smashes into the ground so hard that it hops up again with both rear wheels, which then don't regain contact with the tarmac for almost half a second (21 or so frames in a 50 fps video, no slow mo) ... if he's lucky then it's just some clamps or hoses that went loose, worst case it's a new chassis and PU.
I would think the electrics would not be too pleased with that, more so as it 'bounced' giving it a good smack and change in the direction it would probably be least protected too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

organic

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... nfreiheit/
AMuS reports Merc engineer saying that there may be another ride height issue at Zandvoort, as there was at spa, and may have to run the car too high again.. it's another bumpy track

Andi76
Andi76

El_KaPpa wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2022, 22:39
Maybe even Mercedes had to lose with the new TD
The new TD... on Sky Toto said before the race "we need to stop the FIA from making changes that benefit one team like this with RB." To be honest - i was speechless. It was him and Mercedes who almost forced the FIA to introduce this new TD. Even in F1 i never saw hypocrisy like that before. But anyway - if the new TD hurt any of the Topteams, its Mercedes and Ferrari(but only the next race will show that). I have heard that Mercedes and Ferrari cannot use the set-ups they have used before, while Red Bull, less affected by porpoising, can still use the set-ups they were used to. This gives them a massive advantage and much more time to optimise qualifying and race performance. Usually Ferrari, because of its phenomenal traction, should have been much faster than the RB in the second sector at Spa. But they were much slower there than the RB. So this rumour sounds reasonable, as it also says that Ferrari has to run a much stiffer rear suspension now. And Mercedes, who had already had to run an extremely stiff suspension before, have an even smaller operational window now than before. But i think the next race will show if the new TD really hurts anyone, or if RBs domination was just related to the track, low temperatures(which always hurt Ferrari) and an extraordinary performance by the drivers and engineers. Qualifying suggests that, as Ferrari was more than one second faster than Mercedes and everyone else. And thats more or less the same than what we had before the introduction of the new TD. So from that point of view, nothing has changed - only that RB was much faster. Of course this also makes it possible that the new TD hurts everyone the same, just not Red Bull. But i do not really think this is possible. But i think Zandvort will clarify it.

atanatizante

Andi76 wrote: ↑
29 Aug 2022, 08:28
El_KaPpa wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2022, 22:39
Maybe even Mercedes had to lose with the new TD
The new TD... on Sky Toto said before the race "we need to stop the FIA from making changes that benefit one team like this with RB." To be honest - i was speechless. It was him and Mercedes who almost forced the FIA to introduce this new TD. Even in F1 i never saw hypocrisy like that before. But anyway - if the new TD hurt any of the Topteams, its Mercedes and Ferrari(but only the next race will show that). I have heard that Mercedes and Ferrari cannot use the set-ups they have used before, while Red Bull, less affected by porpoising, can still use the set-ups they were used to. This gives them a massive advantage and much more time to optimise qualifying and race performance. Usually Ferrari, because of its phenomenal traction, should have been much faster than the RB in the second sector at Spa. But they were much slower there than the RB. So this rumour sounds reasonable, as it also says that Ferrari has to run a much stiffer rear suspension now. And Mercedes, who had already had to run an extremely stiff suspension before, have an even smaller operational window now than before. But i think the next race will show if the new TD really hurts anyone, or if RBs domination was just related to the track, low temperatures(which always hurt Ferrari) and an extraordinary performance by the drivers and engineers. Qualifying suggests that, as Ferrari was more than one second faster than Mercedes and everyone else. And thats more or less the same than what we had before the introduction of the new TD. So from that point of view, nothing has changed - only that RB was much faster. Of course this also makes it possible that the new TD hurts everyone the same, just not Red Bull. But i do not really think this is possible. But i think Zandvort will clarify it.
This time around they played cautiously regarding ride height due to they didn't know how the car will behave with full tanks over a race distance after the new TD ...

They need to rise the ride height but it seems that they are losing more time due to running such a stiff car/aero platform and this affects more the aero balance than bouncing/porpoising and riding the ride height as HAM stated after qualy ......

They also know the answer: a new suspension and particularly damper update but this couldn`t be done this year both for bigger aero/chassis changes needed but most of all for cost cap reasons ...

In order to see what I`m talking about you just need to watch how RB18 is such a stable platform, how incredible the car absorbs every bump/kerb and behaves under the braking when VER was running in FP2, FP3 onwards going through both Blanchimont and Bus-stop chicane...

In that regard, it is worth mentioning that he was running here with the new floor and PU updates, particularly with the new MGU-K, something that PER didn`t have this time around ...

And back to the team thread, I think it is just time they need to cut the BS that both drivers and the team are telling us when they are saying they didn`t know after 13 races why they are so slow in qualy and suddenly quick in the races ... we all knew this is due to they choose this car setup from day 1, coz this was the only way they could have the best results in the races!
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

chrisc90

Anyone have the link to the Toto/sky interview?

There is no confirmation that either red bull had the new ERS upgrades either BTW

atanatizante

Sorry for the poor picture in RUS` case but he run in the race with the high DF rear wing compared to HIM who chose the trimmed-lower DF one ...

And in the HAM incident with ALO don`t you think it was the same case as in the 2021 Copse accident between VER and HAM?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

e30ernest
e30ernest

atanatizante wrote: ↑
29 Aug 2022, 09:14
And in the HAM incident with ALO don`t you think it was the same case as in the 2021 Copse accident between VER and HAM?
I think it is similar too. Back then I thought that Verstappen should have given Hamilton more room. Same here, I think Hamilton should have given Alonso more room.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

If no incident for Ham in 1st lap be would have finished in P2. He needs more patience.

e30ernest
e30ernest

selvam_e2002 wrote: ↑
29 Aug 2022, 13:04
If no incident for Ham in 1st lap be would have finished in P2. He needs more patience.
Agreed. I was really frustrated with that mistake from Hamilton because of that. He is usually very patient. I guess he was concerned of the straight line advantage of the Alpine to take that much of a risk that early on.