Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
paddyf1
paddyf1

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

graham.reeds wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 19:13
paddyf1 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 12:53
graham.reeds wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 03:54

This paper tends to agree
Low Drag Automotive Mirror Using Passive Flow Jet Control
How does it tend to agree? There is no mention of the ferrari wing mirrors in there,if you put a hole in anything its going to reduce the drag, drag loss if any is an added bonus in what they are really trying to do, in my humble opinion.
Firstly you are not going to see specifically the Ferrari wing mirrors as the paper was written in 2014. It agrees by showing that by flowing air around the mirror you reduce drag and decreases downstream turbulence.
Yeah exactly, so why say this backs up what you are saying? Any loss i drag for me is an added side effect, its main function is to direct the air where they want it to go.

ScrewCaptain27

Temperature sensor location (Racecar Engineering):
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

aleks_ader

About mirrors. I think this is more about less disturbance of airflow in this region. And not about direction per say. Also any less drag is just plus.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

We saw a new engine cover being delivered yesterday - has anyone noticed if it’s been run/any discernible differences between them?

f300v10
f300v10

Looks like they ran with a 'strut brace' to stiffen the rear floor at one point today:

Morteza

The steering wheel

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Mr.G

JPBD1990 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 16:21
We saw a new engine cover being delivered yesterday - has anyone noticed if it’s been run/any discernible differences between them?
I would say it was scheduled for today, however yesterday they lost one day and today it's not representative weather so no...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

paddyf1 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 12:55
Yeah exactly, so why say this backs up what you are saying? Any loss i drag for me is an added side effect, its main function is to direct the air where they want it to go.
I was replying to people suggesting that it is reducing drag. The paper is a scientific work that proves that's the case. Also the paper shows that downstream air is less turbulent - which doesn't quite give you the ability to direct air where you want - only that it will be less turbulent when it interacts with other flows.

zioture
zioture

Vanja #66

manchild wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 12:19
Indeed. I accept that I was wrong when it matters who invented them.
No buts of ifs. Thanks to your post I've learned that, and those who couldn't figure out how mirrors on Ferrari function finally got the proof.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... n_DBR9.jpg
What you've written is all well and nice, one question - how does airflow from mirror overcome adverse pressure gradient in top side pod inlet?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

paddyf1
paddyf1

graham.reeds wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 19:24
paddyf1 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 12:55
I was replying to people suggesting that it is reducing drag. The paper is a scientific work that proves that's the case. Also the paper shows that downstream air is less turbulent - which doesn't quite give you the ability to direct air where you want - only that it will be less turbulent when it interacts with other flows.
Yeah maybe what all the paper says is right yeah, but we are looking for a specific purpose of something, why is it like that on a specific formula 1 car, and quite a unique formula 1 car, you cant brush it with broad strokes, i cant believe ferrari have thought of this neet wee idea just to lose drag, thats its only purpose, its smarter than that.

MuseF1
MuseF1

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 23:07
manchild wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 12:19
Indeed. I accept that I was wrong when it matters who invented them.
No buts of ifs. Thanks to your post I've learned that, and those who couldn't figure out how mirrors on Ferrari function finally got the proof.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... n_DBR9.jpg
What you've written is all well and nice, one question - how does airflow from mirror overcome adverse pressure gradient in top side pod inlet?
I have to say I have been thinking in the same way as manchild, that the air going into these mirror mount 'intakes' or whatever you want to call them, is being diverted somewhere else.

As of yet we haven't seen any close up images of the mirror itself to see gaps between it and the mirror surround, where the air would pass through. It's a bit surprising, you would have thought photographers would have tried to get a good shot from this angle by now, especially if something unique is happening there.

Would it be feasible for the air to be directed into the cockpit? Does the Halo have a dramatic effect that would make it worthwhile trying to affect the pressure in the cockpit?

Or maybe, with this sidepod top intake, you would want to try and remove air from the equation completely by bleeding it away via the mirror 'intakes'. Air that would have otherwise become turbulent or have unpredictable/varying flow after interacting with the mirror, which could have a negative impact on your top intake.

Happy to be wrong and come across like an idiot but I haven't been convinced by any suggestions yet (including my own).
Last edited by MuseF1 on 01 Mar 2018, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

Turbulent wake (we are talking about mirrors now) is low pressure, by injecting energized air with slotted mirrors you are minimizing drag in a number of ways. Air inside radiator intakes is high pressure air. Air, water, any fluid you want, will never go from low pressure zone to high pressure zone without some kind of external energy input. It will always go exactly the opposite way, however.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie