2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

“I think we’re pretty tight and even with probably Mercedes, they seem probably just as quick as us. They just didn’t turn up the engine and do as much in the final runs. I think we’re in a good place, but we definitely have a little bit more to find.”
-Norris

https://pitdebrief.com/post/mercedes-pr ... gp-norris/

organic

Toto said to sky Italy when asked about the second seat

33.3% Sainz
33.3% Antonelli
33.3% Verstappen

Emag
Emag

organic wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 01:09
Toto said to sky Italy when asked about the second seat

33.3% Sainz
33.3% Antonelli
33.3% Verstappen
Verstappen is not moving out of RedBull and Antonelli would be a very risky choice considering his performances in F2. I guess Carlos is waiting for Toto to make up his mind about Antonelli.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Carlos is a bad choice for Mercedes, as bad as Ocon. The guy goes on his own tangent on track and can be pain in the ass despite being slow. When really required by the team, he would be nowhere.

Chuckjr

Max won’t leave till it’s pretty sure he has as good or better chance with the Merc. If it’s working, don’t fix it.

Antonelli would be a rookie and all rookies crash and make dumb mistakes. It’s just the way they all learn. Merc does not need a crash prone, overly ambitious rookie trying to prove he should be in a top team. Put him in the Williams to learn and crash on their dime. He will rise to the occasion if he deserves a top team spot. All the good ones do.

Carlos would be an outstanding choice imo. Seasoned. Fast. Proven winner.

Go with the Spaniard, Toto. He will be aching to take on Ferrari after they dropped him for a has been.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Jurgen von Diaz

Dunlay wrote:Carlos is a bad choice for Mercedes, as bad as Ocon. The guy goes on his own tangent on track and can be pain in the ass despite being slow. When really required by the team, he would be nowhere.
If Merc wants a number 2 driver, they should pick Bottas, but that guy is the grid's easiest target in the starts and wheel-to-wheel battles. And he doesn't even accept a one-year deal. Sainz would definitely be the best choice available. Antonelli is too premature and risky and could have career-ending results like Vandoorne.

CHT
CHT

Chuckjr wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 03:45
Max won’t leave till it’s pretty sure he has as good or better chance with the Merc. If it’s working, don’t fix it.

Antonelli would be a rookie and all rookies crash and make dumb mistakes. It’s just the way they all learn. Merc does not need a crash prone, overly ambitious rookie trying to prove he should be in a top team. Put him in the Williams to learn and crash on their dime. He will rise to the occasion if he deserves a top team spot. All the good ones do.

Go with the Spaniard, Toto. He will be aching to take on Ferrari after they dropped him for a has been.
Agree with that. Sainz and LH switching seats may give a good reference point on how quick they are.

Jurgen von Diaz

Chuckjr wrote:Max won’t leave till it’s pretty sure he has as good or better chance with the Merc. If it’s working, don’t fix it.

Piastri was a different species; he hardly crashed at all. But I can imagine Antonelli, with little experience, would take the year learning from crashes.

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 00:12
“I think we’re pretty tight and even with probably Mercedes, they seem probably just as quick as us. They just didn’t turn up the engine and do as much in the final runs. I think we’re in a good place, but we definitely have a little bit more to find.”
-Norris

I think maybe some mind games from norris here. Merc don't really look like they've setup the car to its full potential yet. You can't really take much away from fp1 and fp2. Should see more representative times in fp3.

Matt2725
Matt2725

Jdn1327 wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 10:41
AR3-GP wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 00:12
-Norris

I think maybe some mind games from norris here. Merc don't really look like they've setup the car to its full potential yet. You can't really take much away from fp1 and fp2. Should see more representative times in fp3.
Norris is usually quite open and honest about where they are. Merc showed all the hallmarks of a car running low on power all the way through FP2.

justin2102
justin2102

CjC
CjC

Russell says he’s expects to be at a similar level as in Austria.
Just a fan's point of view

Matt2725
Matt2725

CjC wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 12:06
Before or after lap 64?

CjC
CjC

Matt2725 wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 13:23
CjC wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 12:06
Before or after lap 64?
Good question :lol:

I actually miss quoted him, he did say the last couple of races.

If it’s wet I think he’ll be more confident. In the wet conditions Merc are either quickest or the closest team to Max for pole and the race in my opinion
Just a fan's point of view

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Yes I agree. In the wet conditions both ferrari and Mercedes take a big jump forward in the hierarchy.