2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Snorked
Snorked

Tanabe says the PU is running in some sort of reduced power state to ensure reliable running during this first test?

I hope Talisman or hasika can provide a proper translation: https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/new ... 00663.html

I thought that checking the calibration and reliability by earning distance is the most important for both the car body side and the power unit side, I am satisfied with that point.
We are still at the stage of learning to know the car and the power unit.When we shake the setting a little and see the response to it, after grasping the characteristics of the car and the power unit, we will optimize it to narrow down to the best place from now I will go.
We are pursuing by taking reliability as a key point of development at first and developing it based on reflections of last year, so it is a test to earn a distance and find a problem without breaking from the start The output does not limit extremely to ensure reliability, and the qualifying mode has not been used yet, but in order to evaluate the machine performance also the level assuming actual battle I am running in practice and racing mode.

HPD

Honda is still the weakest PU. Yamamoto already confirmed it.
But this does not mean that we are 1 second behind Renault. I guess Honda will need 15 HP or 10 HP to catch Renault.

The biggest advantage of Renault will be seen in the race. In Honda, the classification is very good.
TR must fight to enter Q3 mid-season.

HPD

Snorked wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 13:03
Tanabe says the PU is running in some sort of reduced power state to ensure reliable running during this first test?

I hope Talisman or hasika can provide a proper translation: https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/new ... 00663.html
They reduce the performance of the PU a little, but not so much (all the teams do this). Tanabe is very different from Hasegawa haha
Thanks @snorked

RS200E

HPD wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 13:04
Honda is still the weakest PU. Yamamoto already confirmed it.
But this does not mean that we are 1 second behind Renault. I guess Honda will need 15 HP or 10 HP to catch Renault.

The biggest advantage of Renault will be seen in the race. In Honda, the classification is very good.
TR must fight to enter Q3 mid-season.
Dream on Honda need more than that.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

etusch

When Honda came just 10-15 hp gap to Renault, we can count Honda catch renault.

HPD

:wink:
Franz Tost:

- "We built up a completely new car with the new power unit from Honda which has integrated quite well

- "Based on the first two days of testing, the job seems to have done well. While the times aren’t important, Toro Rosso are right at the top of the league in terms of accrued mileage,“ says Franz Tost. “We have a really good cooperation with Honda and in the end, I must say I think we have a competitive package.”
https://www.redbull.com/ca-en/scuderia-toro-rosso-str13

techman
techman

TR uses the honda. Marko will know the bhp numbers. redbull honda 2019 with full honda support. The best present you can ask for as a honda fan

etusch

Marko said Redbull Honda is possible at 2019. I believe they will declare new agreemant before the may.

NathanOlder

I want to see Toro Rosso reap the benefits from this relationship fully before Red Bull take over. The guys in Faenza deserve some good fortune.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

techman
techman

I want to see Toro Rosso reap the benefits from this relationship fully before Red Bull take over. The guys in Faenza deserve some good fortune.
i hope so to

Thunder

So how about we Focus on Toro Rosso in this Thread? McLaren bickering gets old i say.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Snorked
Snorked

Fernando Alonso said Monday that Honda, despite showing reliability in these tests, could not finish the Grand Prix ​​of Australia. What do you think?

(Laughter) Well, so far everything is going very well. Everything went perfect so in Toro Rosso we are very happy to have the support of Honda. The performance has been very good so far, so we are very optimistic about the engine and its durability. There are still some updates on the way, but we are focused above all on reliability and up to this point everything is fine. We are all very optimistic for the rest of the season.

Are you happy with the change of the Renault engine to the Honda?

It's better than the one we had from Renault last year and receiving engines from a manufacturer directly is a great opportunity for Toro Rosso. We have all the support of Honda so this is really positive and a great occasion for us.
http://www.mundodeportivo.com/motor/f1/ ... encia.html

Did Alonso really say that? :mrgreen:

Anyway, Tost and both drivers seem happy with what they've got so far with this test spec engine. I assume these updates will be the race spec engine for the opening race?

dren

Franz Tost being interviewed:

Honda has earned a reputation over the last three years for building engines that are unreliable and have too little power. Then Brendon Hartley drives 93 laps here on the first day and keeps up easily. What happened?

Honda was not as bad as it was presented last year. In addition, Honda has worked very hard over the winter months - both in terms of durability and in terms of performance. We see the progress. We could easily have done more than these 93 laps. Without problems. In terms of power, we are very satisfied with the unit. I know Honda, I did not expect anything else from the Japanese. If Honda kicks properly, it's only a matter of time before the results come.

You have been a customer of various engine manufacturers for years, now you are an exclusive partner of Honda. What changed that at Toro Rosso?

That has brought enormous benefits. It starts with the design of the vehicle. Here, our technicians have a good influence on how, for example, an oil tank is placed on the front of the power unit or where the various lines that need to be routed or what the exhaust system should look like. You can work out great advantages in terms of space in the chassis, in the weight distribution, in the aerodynamics. These are significant benefits.

In addition, we are involved in the entire test bench trials, which means our technicians have a direct influence on changes in engine tuning. I can remember a scene two weeks ago when our guys came back from Honda, from a bench test, they told me enthusiastically - they could have done more in one afternoon on engine mapping than in ten years before that. Even during the test on the test bench fine work is done. That's huge.

You spent a year with Ralf Schumacher in Japan. How important is the understanding of Japanese culture for working with Honda?

Let's put it this way - it's always important to understand business partners. No matter what culture they have. But it is true that the Japanese culture differs significantly from the European, if we look at the whole behavior and communication. It was certainly an advantage that I know Japan quite well and the culture there. I like Japan because I like the country and its people.

I then initiated that seminars are held in-house with us. I find it important that technicians who work with Japanese engineers understand their patterns of behavior, can interpret reactions properly, and then not make wrong decisions on an emotional level. These seminars have arrived very well with us, we started at the end of November. It's not about the language, no one learns Japanese in such a short time. It's about understanding behaviors and answers so as not to get in the wrong.

What distinguishes the working methodology of Honda and Renault?

(Smiles bittersweet.) At Renault, I have found no working methodology. With Honda, everything is going very well.

- Mehr bei SPEEDWEEK: https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... oZy1qz-eBA
Honda!

GhostF1
GhostF1

They seem to be on track for another productive day on test day 4. Looking good so far!