Scuderia Ferrari F1-75 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1-75 speculation thread

I Nnotice that this side pod has a "shelf" shape like the Aston Martin. So some sort of coanda effect could be going on here on it's traling edge.

As I was pondering before on the Aston, the benefits of using the fully allowed surface for cooling slats seems to be much greater than the low volume of a small tapered side pod.

This amount of hot air could be directed to where it can be huge benefit (and not a detriment). Without any real evidence, I say the diffuser is an intuitive location.

Yes, it's nothing compared to the exhaust blown coanda exhausts of 2012 but it should be enough to add some decent energy.

Why I don't think using a ramp style side pod is better to get the hot air down to corner of the diffuser, is because these side pods simply fall out of the legality zone for the cooling slats. The result is you would get air down there, but not hot air. On the other hand these shelf-style side pods uppoer surface lie in a way so that you can have the full amount of slats and maximum hot air to use to influence the aero.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

The more I see the sidepods, the more I do think there’s an undercut. Initially I thought it was straight down to the floor, but now I think it curves aggressively immediately under the shell logo creating an undercut. If this is the case, it’s best seen on the right-bottom edge of the shell logo. Thoughts anyone?

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 23:41
I Nnotice that this side pod has a "shelf" shape like the Aston Martin. So some sort of coanda effect could be going on here on it's traling edge.

As I was pondering before on the Aston, the benefits of using the fully allowed surface for cooling slats seems to be much greater than the low volume of a small tapered side pod.

This amount of hot air could be directed to where it can be huge benefit (and not a detriment). Without any real evidence, I say the diffuser is an intuitive location.

Yes, it's nothing compared to the exhaust blown coanda exhausts of 2012 but it should be enough to add some decent energy.

Why I don't think using a ramp style side pod is better to get the hot air down to corner of the diffuser, is because these side pods simply fall out of the legality zone for the cooling slats. The result is you would get air down there, but not hot air. On the other hand these shelf-style side pods uppoer surface lie in a way so that you can have the full amount of slats and maximum hot air to use to influence the aero.
Well you have to remember the exhaust velocity was greater than the air speed on the car.

The air coming out of the slats is always going to be slower.

JPower
JPower

Jean Alesi: "I saw the Ferrari earlier. It is a real marvel, very, very slim, with a bit of a sophisticated nose."

f1jcw
f1jcw

The side pods look like they’ve being left in the oven too long and melted.

With so many variations it is going to be a scary time seeing who got it right and who got it wrong.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

is it possible the concave surface on top of the sidepods, where the louvres are, serves to create a vortex and power up the beam wing? Kyle.engineers (and others) have talked about how useful the beam wing is in ensuring the diffuser is working effectively.

Also, given the louvres are all placed in that concave looking space, would a vortex being generated in that region have enough energy to spool up the warm air being rejected from the engine? This could both tidy up that airflow, and indeed energise it

GTO99

I don't believe there is any u-shape to top of sidepod. Top is flat/sloping down to back. I think what's creating the perception is the engine cover profile/shape just under the aws logo where the hot air louvers begin. There's quite a slope/outwash profile up to the Ceva logo and then this profile turns to an inwash profile. So, I think this is creating the photo illusion that there is groove/u-shape to the top of sidepod.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

I don’t think it’s u-shaped for the record. I do think it’s cranked though - from the flatter front leading edge, into a concave/cranked section where the louvres are at their lowest point, then back up and out.

f1316
f1316

Somebody already said this but I've also been wondering if this car has quite a short wheelbase (relatively speaking) - tough to tell just by eye-balling it but it appears that way on first glance.

If so, I'm wondering if this could be in reaction to the weaker slow corner performance expected from these cars. If, with a shorter car, they're able to rotate it more easily in slow corners, this could be an advantage, given the fast corner performance is supposed to be better than previously (where they were already flat through corners so much of the time).

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

f1316 wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 01:19
Somebody already said this but I've also been wondering if this car has quite a short wheelbase (relatively speaking) - tough to tell just by eye-balling it but it appears that way on first glance.

If so, I'm wondering if this could be in reaction to the weaker slow corner performance expected from these cars. If, with a shorter car, they're able to rotate it more easily in slow corners, this could be an advantage, given the fast corner performance is supposed to be better than previously (where they were already flat through corners so much of the time).
Interesting idea! My only concern with this would be, similar to 2017, where there are just far more tracks that have far more high speed stuff than low speed stuff, so what’s the benefit? Eg what are the truly low speed tracks in this day and age? Monaco obvi… my fear would only be that any gains in low speed corners would be offset by losses in high speed corners, which make up most tracks

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

GTO99 wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 00:28
I don't believe there is any u-shape to top of sidepod. Top is flat/sloping down to back. I think what's creating the perception is the engine cover profile/shape just under the aws logo where the hot air louvers begin. There's quite a slope/outwash profile up to the Ceva logo and then this profile turns to an inwash profile. So, I think this is creating the photo illusion that there is groove/u-shape to the top of sidepod.
There's a winglet on top of the sidepod between the cockpit and the mirror. Seems to be aimed at directing the air to the concave area of the sidepod. To me it seems that there is really a concave surface on top of the sidepod. Even the geometry of the louvres seem very intricate.
The "undercut" seems to be more to the inside. Might be that the vertical area of the sidepod is on the max width?
Like was mentioned, might be that the sidepod is being used as a fence to isolate the front wheels wake from the clean air flow and that the top of sidepod is used to direct air to the beam wing and under the rear wing main profile. Wouldn't this help extract air from the diffuser? The more you can extract from the diffuser the more you can feed the under floor tunnels withou stalling

bohemian
bohemian

t-tray looks simillar

slimjim8201

What is going on at the nose? It almost looks like they are using the near-nose region as a plow. From the leaked photo, it's very hard to tell what is going on, but could they dramatically turn up the first element to force a huge amount of air under the nose at the centerline?

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

The video showing the 2 drivers' reactions to the car is REAL. That was a teaser video shot by Ferrari and probably intended to be leaked, without showing what the guys are looking at.

The car at the end is just fake, spliced onto the Ferrari video.

You'll see tomorrow when its released. I am enjoying all the "analysis" though.

LMFAO

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Yeah I’ve seen rumours suggesting the car we see tomorrow may look different. Who knows.

Either way I find the analysis fun tbh. Look forward to more when we see the car, regardless of whether this is it or if it’s totally different