2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

SSJ4 wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 21:25
#Amus Aston Martin is much better balanced with the new front wing and the underbody of the Suzuka specification. The bouncing has practically disappeared. "I can attack the corners again," said Alonso happily.
Good news. If Hungary package is substantial (and works) we could be not too far from the mix again

So imola floor confirmed downgrade? :D
Last edited by KimiRai on 05 Jul 2024, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

krich
krich

Let’s hope it’s not a circuit specific thing. Suzuka and Silverstone are similar

Ashwinv16

krich wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 21:41
Let’s hope it’s not a circuit specific thing. Suzuka and Silverstone are similar
Yeah and so is spain, we basically jsut recovered what we lost. Not much fo a pure gain overall.
Halo not as bad as we thought

KimiRai
KimiRai

It is said FP2 setup change was a step backwards, lets see if there's improvement tomorrow.

SSJ4
SSJ4

Find it interesting Alonso mentioned bouncing. Ferrari suffering the same issues with their upgrades.

Guessing pull-rod suspension at the front and push-rod suspension is the way to get the best out of this iteration.

krich
krich

Hopefully AM can iterate with this combo of front wing + underbody in the future if it’s giving them good balance

Otromundo

Well... not that bad. I like that Fernando is happy and animated. And also Lance's performance. We have improved or so it seems. We will see when the truth comes how much.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

zoroastar
zoroastar

Emag wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 10:03
diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 02:18
organic wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 00:22

It was TD018. And the guidance for flexible front wings has essentially completely shifted for 2024 compared to last year. Last year they tried to heavily police it now it seems that you are free to play in this region more
Wow, only one team was really doing it in 2023. Arguably the FIA sent AMR into a tail spin. Now they reverse their ---. I really dislike when they make changes in-season.
By the time TD018 was enforced, Aston Martin was already in a struggle for a couple of races. I think the effect of the flexing-wings is overstated on the Aston Martin. It's far from being their biggest problem. You don't go from fighting for podiums to barely making it out of Q1 just because of that.

Even if we assume it did, then Aston Martin should have been up there with Mercedes this season since the FIA is seemingly more lenient about this sort of thing in 2024.

Everything that AM has done in the past year or so just shows that their problems run deep and are tied down to their understanding of both the regulations and the car they have developed. It is the only team this year, which relatively speaking, has regressed from the start of the season. They at least had a really good car over one lap, but their upgrades took away even the strengths the car had. There's clearly bigger problems there.

Ferrari got hit by an even more devastating technical directive back in 2022 and they didn't fall off as hard as AM has fallen.
i think the changes in the tires last year really hurt them as well, compared to mercedes and ferrari. i dont think anybody is making excuses for their poor performance, theres really no excuse for them to look this bad. but they havent been helped by any of these mid-season changes by the fia either. with the new regs coming the fIA doesnt have the time or resources to police the flexible wings anymore. im curious to see what else they may not have time to police either. i bet it will have a lot to do with which teams bring the questionable parts though.

alonsofan
alonsofan

alonsofan wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 19:57
SchuMassa wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 18:45
diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 18:21

I'm not sure why you're looking at that in FP. Nobody team mate is trying to be faster than anybody 's team mate in FP. It's all about trying things.
I think SchuMassa is still sore about " Fernando is faster than you." :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
" I repeat, Fernando is faster than you. Please confirm that you understood the message."

Ashwinv16

KimiRai wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 22:38
It is said FP2 setup change was a step backwards, lets see if there's improvement tomorrow.
They dropped the downforce on both cars to see if they can maintain pace. It didn't work. For long runs they switched back. The plan is to add more downforce in fp3 espaiccely to the rear. Both cars are still too fast in a straight line.
Halo not as bad as we thought

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Ashwinv16 wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 07:09
KimiRai wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 22:38
They dropped the downforce on both cars to see if they can maintain pace. It didn't work. For long runs they switched back. The plan is to add more downforce in fp3 espaiccely to the rear. Both cars are still too fast in a straight line.
Aston Martin have to find a lot of more downforce from the floor. F1 all about downforce without much drag as possible. With wings you just get drag,with floor way significantly less. Unfortunately is not easy as I say,but how I see they not really try to develop their floor much ,but they make many front wings instead.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 09:53
... F1 all about downforce without much drag as possible. With wings you just get drag,with floor way significantly less.
didn't somebody called Vanja say the opposite of that ?

SSJ4
SSJ4

Car doesn’t like that competitive in wet

Sedaxel
Sedaxel

The car is slow... No news on that. Better than Austria, though. But that was easy, wasn't it?

One curious thing, however, is that Astons were the only ones improving lap times at the end of the session, specially Alonso (who did it twice). The track was slower than the first round of fast laps, but they managed to improve their times. Funny.

Kamel
Kamel

As Alpine is out, p9-12 is possible hehe