2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 May 2022, 16:55
Gasly and Vettel would be perfect drivers for Mclaren. I would even want a return of Alonso or Hamilton in the team.

A big no to blm hamilton... Alonso would be great...

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

mclaren111 wrote:
29 May 2022, 09:11
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Gasly and Vettel would be perfect drivers for Mclaren. I would even want a return of Alonso or Hamilton in the team.
Why not Hamilton ?
McLaren should 100% go for Vettel. The back up plan would be Piastri. In these two cases it's almost the best line up on the grid i reckon

mclaren111

McMika98 wrote:
28 May 2022, 21:19
Danny ricc is clearly washed up and overrated, living off past glories. He would have been booted out in a top team, not worth the salary. Piastri should be able to do what he is doing with fraction of cost. Albon would be a good choice as he gets on with Lando, Gasly is a bit of a diva and will not gel well with the British outfit.

Agree...

zxof
zxof

Not Gasly probably, he already has a track record of difficulty adjusting to a "weird car". Happy to be proven wrong though.

EJ22B
EJ22B

McMika98 wrote:
28 May 2022, 21:19
Danny ricc is clearly washed up and overrated, living off past glories. He would have been booted out in a top team, not worth the salary. Piastri should be able to do what he is doing with fraction of cost. Albon would be a good choice as he gets on with Lando, Gasly is a bit of a diva and will not gel well with the British outfit.
I think Gasly would fit perfectly at McLaren. He also prefers a understeery car so the McLaren should suit him.

Also, Gasly uses quick downshift style which is what Lando does too.

Albon on the other hand likes a car with a good front end which he said in the BTG podcast. He might end up struggling.

Slahinki
Slahinki

djos wrote:
29 May 2022, 02:39

The team made the mistake of sending Daniel out on used tires for that first run in Q2 as the track got hotter after that and even Lando couldn’t improve on his first Q2 time.

Those of you having a huge swing at Daniel need to pay more attention as to what is actually happening!
Not going to address your tire thing as someone else already has covered it. It's been like this for over a year now, constant underwhelming performances at most tracks. At some point the buck stops with Daniel, there is only so much the team can try to do in order to help him out.

To be honest I'd be really surprised if the team hasn't lost all faith in him at this point. He's just not been good enough.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I find it bizarre folks on here thinking they know who should be driving for McLaren, almost hilarious! This isn't fantasy F1, the bulk of the drivers mentioned have contracts. Piastri? What makes you think he'd do well in F1? I'm not saying he wouldn't, but there's nothing to guarantee that. His junior career isn't more impressive than Stoffel, podium-less Hulkenberg etc. "Albon gets along with Lando!" Well, so did Lewis and Nico in their junior days, Prost picked Ayrton to join McLaren. I'm not satisfied with Daniel, not even remotely, but I do not think he just got slow, his last lap for Renault was the fastest of the 2020 Abu Dhabi GP. He and McLaren may not be a good fit at the end of the day, he may need to move on, but who's to say the next driver won't struggle more? Maybe Daniel isn't as bright as we thought, isn't good at adaptation, doesn't like the characteristics of the car, but I don't think he's washed up. People on here think they know too much because they've been watching F1 since Bernie Ecclestone was a baby. This used to be a technical forum,which isn't just restricted to cars. What happened to analysis?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Emag
Emag

mclaren111 wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
A big no to a 7 time world champion? What sort of logic makes you arrive to this conclusion?

proteus

Spoutnik wrote:
29 May 2022, 09:28
mclaren111 wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Why not Hamilton ?
McLaren should 100% go for Vettel. The back up plan would be Piastri. In these two cases it's almost the best line up on the grid i reckon
Why would everyone consider Alonso, or Hamilton???? The first one is getting too old and the second one is not much younger, not to mention he would break the bank and demand a no.1 status...All they need to do is to sit down with Daniel and have an extensive talk. There must be an issue, which has to be rectified. If that doesnt work, then they will have to part ways. But dont say they need to bring in Alonso or Hamilton... Vettel is also well past his prime, and bringing in a total novice means they will bleed points in the first season.

It was a damn shame Sainz was poached away, because he fitted in Mclaren perfectly. If Sainz and Riccirado will continue with their problems at their current teams, maybe Ferrari and Mclaren could make the swap between themself.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

I have a theory. Mclaren hired Dan with the intention of him being number 1 driver. Dan gave his feedback during 2021. I remember James key was saying he would still carry the old car philosipy forward to the 2022 car and we can see that is bears much of the same traits. Pathetic in low speed and decent in med and high speed. This was probably done to appease Lando. Dan not happy and probably doesnt care anymore. On the helmet he texted FEA. Which means f them all. Mclaren probabably detuning his car so they can activate a performace clause to get rid.

Big Tea

Emag wrote:
29 May 2022, 11:48
mclaren111 wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
A big no to a 7 time world champion? What sort of logic makes you arrive to this conclusion?
Mclaren need to nurture Lando, he is one for the future. Any champion or star driver coming in could upset Lando's rhythm.
He has really hit his stride since the acknowledged number one driver in the team left and stepped up.
I think, don't upset a winning formula with someone who would probably become the star at Lando's expense.

If Lando leaves, then yes, go for the best.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

billamend
billamend

1m0bius1 wrote:
29 May 2022, 12:18
This was probably done to appease Lando.
Except, Lando does not like an understeery car, and said many times that he gives the same feedback as Daniel.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

proteus wrote:
29 May 2022, 11:56
Spoutnik wrote:
29 May 2022, 09:28
mclaren111 wrote:

Why not Hamilton ?
Why would everyone consider Alonso, or Hamilton???? The first one is getting too old and the second one is not much younger, not to mention he would break the bank and demand a no.1 status...All they need to do is to sit down with Daniel and have an extensive talk. There must be an issue, which has to be rectified. If that doesnt work, then they will have to part ways. But dont say they need to bring in Alonso or Hamilton... Vettel is also well past his prime, and bringing in a total novice means they will bleed points in the first season.

It was a damn shame Sainz was poached away, because he fitted in Mclaren perfectly. If Sainz and Riccirado will continue with their problems at their current teams, maybe Ferrari and Mclaren could make the swap between themself.
Alonso is very old but Hamilton still has 1,2 peak season in him and he's part of the history of McLaren. He would bring the points like Bottas at Alfa Romeo.
Idk why Ferrari would do this swap, Sainz proved much much more and he gets along well with Charles. Ricciardo don't deserve a Ferrari seat on the other hand.
Last edited by Spoutnik on 29 May 2022, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Marc.W

1m0bius1 wrote:
29 May 2022, 12:18
Mclaren probabably detuning his car so they can activate a performace clause to get rid.
#-o Do you really think McLaren would detune a car to favour another driver? come on.....

Emag
Emag

Yeah, this is inline with the stupid comments about Ferrari purposefully f*cking over Vettel in 2020. No team would ruin their driver's race on purpose because the team is the first to lose on that scenario. These are bullsh*t narratives driven by delusional fanboys who can't accept that their favorite driver isn't driving up to par.